2018 QB Depth Chart

PeterNincompoop

Really just asking this to try and understand something. It seems that a very large portion of people thinks JG is assumed starter next season.

Why?

What did everyone who thinks that see, that leads them to believe it? Granted, injuries continued to unravel the him and the team, and he had a patchwork line as the season progressed. But for a more mobile QB that was supposed to fit last season's offense better, it looked like his internal clock had a dead battery, there was no magic in his legs to save the offense the way that Dobbs was able to do, the strength/accuracy of his arm seem discernible from QD's, and in 9 game's played vs. QD's 6 games, their stats are quite similar, despite the difference in playing time...

QD: 137 attempts/76 completions, 6td/6int, 925yds/154ypg
JG: 139 attempts/86 completions, 4td/2int, 997yds/110ypg

Honestly, I thought McBride looked like the most comfortable QB on the roster last season. Unfortunately, he also looked like the 3rd most talented.

So, assuming QD stays, and that the team goes more pro style, who's your starting QB, and why?

SIAP

Reactions: 3 people
Well I think either QD or JG leaves. Thus we are signing preferred walk-on and chasing Shroudt. And given we are starting over on offense, I could see a Frosh coming in and taking over.

Reactions: 3 people
I am frustrated about Dormady because he was so bipolar. He showed us that in the first game against Tech. 3 quarters of garbage and a brilliant 4th quarter. I heard Eric Ainge mention there are certain mistakes college quarterbacks are told they can never make and QD makes them all every game. The positive there is it sounds like he was never developed so if we can train him to think and respond like a good college QB is supposed to I think he could be brilliant.

Well Considering who the HC was, I will assume the 5th string QB will become the next Tom Brady!! :blink::blink:

Reactions: 8 people
I am frustrated about Dormady because he was so bipolar. He showed us that in the first game against Tech. 3 quarters of garbage and a brilliant 4th quarter. I heard Eric Ainge mention there are certain mistakes college quarterbacks are told they can never make and QD makes them all every game. The positive there is it sounds like he was never developed so if we can train him to think and respond like a good college QB is supposed to I think he could be brilliant.

Some of the problems also occurred because of the receivers not running the correct or disciplined routes.

Reactions: 2 people

Remember Jonathan Crompton in 2008? :yuck: :bad:

Remember Jonathan Crompton in 2009? :) :good!:

Reactions: 8 people
I think it has to be JG. If QD is the same or even just slightly better as a Sr than JG is as a So, you have to play for the future and let JG develop. You have 2 or 3 more years with him in the system and only one with QD. Also the RBs, WRs, and OL will be a year older and more experienced as well. I like the lower number of INTs that JG put up and hope he develops a quicker internal clock.

Reactions: 4 people
Really just asking this to try and understand something. It seems that a very large portion of people thinks JG is assumed starter next season.

Why?

What did everyone who thinks that see, that leads them to believe it? Granted, injuries continued to unravel the him and the team, and he had a patchwork line as the season progressed. But for a more mobile QB that was supposed to fit last season's offense better, it looked like his internal clock had a dead battery, there was no magic in his legs to save the offense the way that Dobbs was able to do, the strength/accuracy of his arm seem discernible from QD's, and in 9 game's played vs. QD's 6 games, their stats are quite similar, despite the difference in playing time...

QD: 137 attempts/76 completions, 6td/6int, 925yds/154ypg
JG: 139 attempts/86 completions, 4td/2int, 997yds/110ypg

Honestly, I thought McBride looked like the most comfortable QB on the roster last season. Unfortunately, he also looked like the 3rd most talented.

So, assuming QD stays, and that the team goes more pro style, who's your starting QB, and why?

SIAP

JG has the most upside imo, just needs to be taught how to play qb at this level....has to develop better pocket presence/internal clock to feel pressure. Also must trust what he sees and get rid of the ball accordingly, assuming that his receivers are where they should be...probably a pretty big assumption.

I firmly believe that QD will transfer at this point, after Spring and I think we better sign someone to be JG’s backup this cycle. McBride is a 3rd string type guy imo.

Reactions: 5 people
Extremely hard for any of us to determine. Depending on how QD recovers. If he recovers fully and is able to participate in the spring, he must show some improvement. If he does not show improvement, JG has more upside so I think he would be the starter.

If JG does not improve on some of his tendencies, he will not be the starter next season.

Don't rule McBride out. He showed a lot of potential in his brief stint.

I’ve done a full breakdown of stats before on here and the more you look at the two, the distance between the two is more clear.

#1- Dormady started his first four games vs
GA Tech 5-6
Indiana State 0-11 in the FCS
Florida 4-7
Massachusetts 4-8

That’s a combined record of 13-32. In his first game against a legit team, QD played one of the most atrocious games seen by a Vol QB in recent memory. It was Peterman vs UF, Crompton vs AU bad.

Throw in UGA, and Dormady started against teams with a combined record of 25-33

#2- Guarantano’s starts were against:
South Carolina 8-4
Alabama 11-1
Kentucky 7-5
S Miss 8-4
LSU 9-3
Vanderbilt 5-7

That is a combined record of 48-24. Dormady started and played the majority of both our cupcake games this year, a 5-6 GA Tech team, and a Florida team that was almost as bad as we were. As I mentioned above, in his one game against a top SEC opponent, and his only game vs a team ranked in the Top 15- he played the worst game of the year. JG started against 2 Top 15 teams. Had he been named the starter from day 1 and played vs Indiana State and UMass, and Dormady come in vs. the Gamecocks and Bama, his stat line would’ve likely been much superior.

You can break down QBR, TO ratio, completion pct, yards per completion rate- JG superior in every category.

Reactions: 25 people
To be fair, I think QD was hurt vs Georgia, and they knew. They basically gave us free touchdowns if he can throw the fly, but he couldn't.

IMO...There is no way to tell or assume who the starter will be..it could be an incoming freshman for all we know..
What I do know is that the new coaching staff will actually coach these young men up and make them better players..
With the right coaching anyone could come out as the starter and shock the world..I am excited for the season to start and see how much improved we are at all positions since they WILL actually be coached up...
No more lame sayings..It is time for them to pull their big boy pants up and go to work...
GBO

To be fair, I think QD was hurt vs Georgia, and they knew. They basically gave us free touchdowns if he can throw the fly, but he couldn't.

You’re right. It doesn’t excuse the other avg performances against inferior competition, or teams that were as bad as we were in FL and Tech. Against Tech, he played well in the 2nd half, but other than that, I don’t remember anything memorable about his play other than struggling against UMass and throwing INTs against UF. At the time of his injury, QD was leading the NCAA in turnovers.

Reactions: 4 people
I am not sure any QB would have done great last year in the infallible system we ran...
Our offense was offensive....Same plays over and over..Way to predictable..QB'S had no time to throw the ball..Recievers could not get open..
We looked at times like a High School coached team...
That all changes now and I am sure we are going to see much improvement from these young men..They just needed to be better coached...
GBO

Way to try and cherry pick stats op.

Completion percentage

61.9% JG vs 55.5QD

7.2 ypa JG 6.8 ypa QD

But that doesn't even begin to show how much better JG was.

VS SEC teams which really tells the tale

jg 65.1% QD 47.3%
JG 7.86 ypa QD 5.87 ypa

JG 3td/1int QD 1td/5ints

So against actual legit teams JG got better and QD was unequivocally worse. JG was way better passing the ball.

Reactions: 6 people
Probably JG is the starter, although I would not rule out QD. I believe his style as a dropback passer is more in keeping with the new offense. Some of the negative performance undoubtedly had to do with both the type of offense that Butch Jones ran as well as the lack of coaching. Having said that, if , I'd give the edge to JG because of more eligibility.

Way to try and cherry pick stats op.

Completion percentage

61.9% JG vs 55.5QD

7.2 ypa JG 6.8 ypa QD

But that doesn't even begin to show how much better JG was.

VS SEC teams which really tells the tale

jg 65.1% QD 47.3%
JG 7.86 ypa QD 5.87 ypa

JG 3td/1int QD 1td/5ints

So against actual legit teams JG got better and QD was unequivocally worse. JG was way better passing the ball.

I really don't which QB starts next season, but comparing SEC stats doesn't really give a true picture in this situation. JG started against 6 SEC teams vs 2 for QD, UGA and UF, which was a solid D early in the season. JG had to face Bama and LSU, but he also got to start against UK and Candy, 2 really bad SEC defenses, and 2 average defenses in Mizzou and SC.

I like JG a lot and think he has tremendous upside, but I did not see much separation among the 3 QBs last season. And the bottom line is Pruitt must reconstruct the OL quickly, or expect more of the same.

Probably JG is the starter, although I would not rule out QD. I believe his style as a dropback passer is more in keeping with the new offense. Some of the negative performance undoubtedly had to do with both the type of offense that Butch Jones ran as well as the lack of coaching. Having said that, if , I'd give the edge to JG because of more eligibility.
My problem with QD is he has an Aaron Rodgers mindset and Tom Savage talent, he makes all the worst mistakes of a highschool qb as a junior. His decision making abilities are highly suspect, i mean i saw a high throw into four defenders in the middle of the field in the GT game, that should never happen.

VN Store

Back