Special exemptions: aka why Tennessee will always be at a disadvantage

Marty McFly must have fired up the DeLorean to go back 8 years for that article. :)

Either way, we get plenty of talent, just need to coach them.

Reactions: 7 people
Marty McFly must have fired up the DeLorean to go back 8 years for that article. :)

Either way, we get plenty of talent, just need to coach them.

Orlando Brown disagrees.

The fact remains other sec schools get players in easier than Tennessee. General admissions maybe harder at some schools but it's harder for an athlete to get into Tennessee than other sec programs.

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 people
Sorry. As long as the sign out front says "University of ..." or "... University", then the same academic requirements should apply to all students.

Reactions: 21 people
Orlando Brown disagrees.

The fact remains other sec schools get players in easier than Tennessee. General admissions maybe harder at some schools but it's harder for an athlete to get into Tennessee than other sec programs.

Vandy would say....

Reactions: 3 people
Orlando Brown would've been lucky to spell 2 of the 3 words in your post correctly coming out of HS

Yet, Orlando Brown was admitted to Oklahoma and is finishing his fourth year there as a student athlete.

So, back to the original, valid, legitimate point the OP has brought up....other schools, like Oklahoma, get players admitted to their university much easier than Tennessee.

Reactions: 9 people
Orlando Brown would've been lucky to spell 2 of the 3 words in your post correctly coming out of HS

Who cares? He will be a top 5 pick. Top 10 at the lowest. I don't care if he has to do assignments in crayon if he can play. We need an even playing field.

Reactions: 9 people
Yet, Orlando Brown was admitted to Oklahoma and is finishing his fourth year there as a student athlete.

So, back to the original, valid, legitimate point the OP has brought up....other schools, like Oklahoma, get players admitted to their university much easier than Tennessee.

Even the ivy leagues get exemptions. Just an FYI.

Reactions: 4 people

His GPA was sub 2 and even OU thought he was juco bound. Magically he did better in summer school than he had ever done in school before and amazingly qualified at the Oklahoma institute of higher learning.

Reactions: 2 people
Who cares? He will be a top 5 pick. Top 10 at the lowest. I don't care if he has to do assignments in crayon if he can play. We need an even playing field.

Agreed on the level field. They should be required to be college material like other students to be admitted. Fair enough?

Reactions: 1 person
Agreed on the level field. They should be required to be college material like other students to be admitted. Fair enough?

Then college students should have to travel every weekend of the fall semester and work out, train, and practice for 8 hours each day. Fair enough?

Some time exemptions need to be made for special circumstances.

When other students make the school millions they can get their special treatment.

Reactions: 4 people
His GPA was sub 2 and even OU thought he was juco bound. Magically he did better in summer school than he had ever done in school before and amazingly qualified at the Oklahoma institute of higher learning.

I think the operative word here is magically (wink, wink).

This isn't the reason we have been losing. Last I checked Butch hauled in top 10 recruiting classes. Now, this might be a reason why we spend so much on recruiting, because we have to broaden our base, but it certainly isn't the reason we haven't competed for an SEC championship in recent years.

Ummm no, it's a big reason we cannot compete. Look at how often other schools especially Bama make use of it.

Was there much of an outrage on here when he wasn't admitted? Wasn't he "only" a 3 star?

I don't believe that it is that difficult to get in to Tennessee. The only players that I have ever heard were ones that didn't clear the NCAA clearinghouse.

JUST more difficult than any other sec school and most other programs in the country.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back