The story or atleast part of it

Lengthy read but great story on this crazy coaching search

New information shared in recalling Tenneessee's coaching search

Good article. I particularly was interested in this from near the bottom of page 3:

Another power-play unfolds as Anderson and John “Thunder” Thornton convince Phillip Fulmer to please rescue his alma mater; Fulmer, per no less than 12 sources, does not seek out the job, but agrees to take over UT’s coaching search and assume the A.D. role.

Reactions: 13 people
I wonder how many pages the article detailing how Gruden almost became the next UT coach will be? Looking more and more like a short article.

I wonder how many pages the article detailing how Gruden almost became the next UT coach will be? Looking more and more like a short article.

Yeah, I didn't read anything about venture capitalists, academia, MIT Beavers, or white whales.

Reactions: 4 people
gridiron.png

Someone at Gridiron should at least proofread the headline next time...

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 people
Old news to me. Seems like a decade ago now. Pruitt is the coach, Fulmer is where he should be, the ship has been "righted". Load up the O & D lines and the rest will fall into place.

Reactions: 9 people
Old news to me. Seems like a decade ago now. Pruitt is the coach, Fulmer is where he should be, the ship has been "righted". Load up the O & D lines and the rest will fall into place.

Those who forget their history are doomed to repeat it. We need to keep the stench of Haslam out of the AD.

Reactions: 13 people
A couple of interesting things to me:
1)Currie had no one else targeted, it was all Schiano who was Haslam's choice the whole time. Anyone with two functioning brain cells knew that would go over like a lead balloon.
2)You can tell Haslam controls the media narrative of some media outlets in particular. Haslam cares about his name before he does the UT brand.
3)If this search had started with Mike Leach, likely Currie still has a job and Tennessee is viewed as having a great hire.
4) For Fulmer to be so unseasoned as an AD, the contract of Pruitt looks much better than the contract Schiano was offered.

Reactions: 16 people
The most frustrating part of this is the six year term. Forget the dollars involved, which are too high for a guy with no other offers and 700K current salary.

We've bought off how many coaches contracts now? Our last 3 coaches lasted less than 5 years. And we are signing a guy to a Six year contract?!?!? Give me a freaking break. That's some combination of incompetent and corrupt, which is Haslam's calling card.

Reactions: 2 people
Lengthy read but great story on this crazy coaching search

New information shared in recalling Tenneessee's coaching search

Most amazing part of the story here is when Charlie Anderson, a top booster and head of the Athletic Board, was told by Currie that he couldn’t catch him up on where the coaching search stood after the Schiano debacle, and told him it was “confidential”. Unbelievable.

Recall please that Anderson was also shut out of the AD hiring process by the Haslam camp. Thank God Charlie’s camp has wrested back some power from the dark side.

Reactions: 12 people
Good article. Some of the timeline and internal department information is interesting. Reads more like a PR piece for the current regime, but some good information here.

I do think the search ended up with a good coach.

Reactions: 1 person
I can't read through the story without some frigging virus detection message website breaking in and flooding my phone.

Does anyone else get this from certain sites.

Reactions: 3 people

VN Store

Back