Why all the Fulmer hate?

TN_Transplant

Ok, I have to ask. Where does all this deep seated actual hate and loathing of all things Phillip Fulmer come from?

Sincerely, I want to know, because I really don't get it. All he did was win for us. Sure he had 2 bad seasons out of 16. But even the 2005 season, we were competitive. While we should have done better (and did the next year) it's not the crap show that we saw this past season. The biggest affront I can find on this season is the loss to Vandy.

Opponent Result
UAB W*17–10**
at*No. 6*Florida L*7–16**
at*No. 4*LSU W*30–27*OT*
Ole Miss W*27–10**
No. 5*Georgia L*14–27**
at*No. 5*Alabama L*3–6***
South Carolina L*15–16**
at*No. 8*Notre Dame L*21–41**
Memphis W*20–16**
Vanderbilt L*24–28**
at*Kentucky W*28–7**

2008 could arguably be compared more to this past season, but even then, we didn't lose to Vandy and Kentucky in the same year. And by all accounts, the Wyoming game was thrown in protest by the players.

Opponent Result
at*UCLA L*24–27*OT*
UAB W*35–3**
No. 4*Florida L*6–30**
at*No. 15*Auburn L*12–14**
Northern Illinois W*13–9**
at*No. 10*Georgia L*14–26**
Mississippi State W*34–3**
No. 2*Alabama L*9–29**
at*South Carolina L*6–27**
Wyoming L*7–13**
at*Vanderbilt W*20–10**
Kentucky W*28–10**

So explain to me why a coach with these record and accomplishments is so reviled with such venom, please. I truly just don't get it.

Head coaching record
Overall 152–52
Bowls 8–7

Accomplishments and honors

Championships
1 National (1998)
2 SEC (1997, 1998)
SEC Eastern Division (1997, 1998, 2001, 2004, 2007)

Awards
AFCA Coach of the Year (1998)
Eddie Robinson Coach of the Year (1998)
George Munger Award (1998)
Home Depot Coach of the Year Award (1998)
Sporting News College Football COY (1998)
SEC Coach of the Year (1998)

College Football Hall of Fame
Inducted in 2012

Reactions: 36 people
Fulmer (AD of a University) stepping in to help recruiting, after a new coach hire, uniquely qualified for the position, staff not complete, new head coach still coaching for a championship...

What a jerk

Disclaimer: *Sarcasm*

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
Its weird when someone puts in alot of work to start a thread just to get one line answers.

Just so i understand, where exactly is "All the hate" for Fulmer?

Reactions: 2 people
Fulmer (AD of a University) stepping in to help recruiting, after a new coach hire, uniquely qualified for the position, staff not complete, new head coach still coaching for a championship...

What a jerk

With 1311 posts and only 19 likes shows you have a very negative out look. More like you have just been trolling. and still are.

Reactions: 1 person
Tennessee never found its Jimbo Fisher. The succession planning for the eventual and inevitable exist of CPF was botched in true Tennessee fashion and as a result they have yet to find a coach half as good as Fulmer was.

In short Fulmer had to go but they failed mightily in finding the coach that would take it to the next level.

Same thing happened to Texas while Oklahoma and Georgia appear to have gotten it right .

Reactions: 7 people
Most Vol fans who hate Fulmer were not loved by their mothers, so their adult validation comes from cam girls and pretending to be football gurus on a message board.

Reactions: 10 people
Ok, I have to ask. Where does all this deep seated actual hate and loathing of all things Phillip Fulmer come from?

Sincerely, I want to know, because I really don't get it. All he did was win for us. Sure he had 2 bad seasons out of 16. But even the 2005 season, we were competitive. While we should have done better (and did the next year) it's not the crap show that we saw this past season. The biggest affront I can find on this season is the loss to Vandy.

Opponent Result
UAB W*17–10**
at*No. 6*Florida L*7–16**
at*No. 4*LSU W*30–27*OT*
Ole Miss W*27–10**
No. 5*Georgia L*14–27**
at*No. 5*Alabama L*3–6***
South Carolina L*15–16**
at*No. 8*Notre Dame L*21–41**
Memphis W*20–16**
Vanderbilt L*24–28**
at*Kentucky W*28–7**

2008 could arguably be compared more to this past season, but even then, we didn't lose to Vandy and Kentucky in the same year. And by all accounts, the Wyoming game was thrown in protest by the players.

Opponent Result
at*UCLA L*24–27*OT*
UAB W*35–3**
No. 4*Florida L*6–30**
at*No. 15*Auburn L*12–14**
Northern Illinois W*13–9**
at*No. 10*Georgia L*14–26**
Mississippi State W*34–3**
No. 2*Alabama L*9–29**
at*South Carolina L*6–27**
Wyoming L*7–13**
at*Vanderbilt W*20–10**
Kentucky W*28–10**

So explain to me why a coach with these record and accomplishments is so reviled with such venom, please. I truly just don't get it.

Head coaching record
Overall 152–52
Bowls 8–7

Accomplishments and honors

Championships
1 National (1998)
2 SEC (1997, 1998)
SEC Eastern Division (1997, 1998, 2001, 2004, 2007)

Awards
AFCA Coach of the Year (1998)
Eddie Robinson Coach of the Year (1998)
George Munger Award (1998)
Home Depot Coach of the Year Award (1998)
Sporting News College Football COY (1998)
SEC Coach of the Year (1998)

College Football Hall of Fame
Inducted in 2012

It was becoming clear the game was passing him by and recruiting was falling off. We wanted to beat UF more. Richt and Saban was making him look bad and he didn't look too good without Cut.

Edit to say, I don't hate him

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
Tennessee never found its Jimbo Fisher. The succession planning for the eventual and inevitable exist of CPF was botched in true Tennessee fashion and as a result they have yet to find a coach half as good as Fulmer was.

In short Fulmer had to go but they failed mightily in finding the coach that would take it to the next level.

Same thing happened to Texas while Oklahoma and Georgia appear to have gotten it right .

Texas got what right? Charlie

Its weird when someone puts in alot of work to start a thread just to get one line answers.

Just so i understand, where exactly is "All the hate" for Fulmer?

I know it seems like desperate times right now in recruiting, but seeing Fulmer on the recruiting trail........ Guess a lot of folks were right about him trying to "get in the way" and hiring someone that would allow him to control the next HC. What's y'alls thoughts on seeing Fulmer recruiting

1998 Coach Fulmer (without his staff, just the man and a randomized staff that may or may not include members of the original staff) with this year’s team

or

CJP (with his current staff) and 1998s team.

Who Thinks Phil will hire the wrong guy?

Talking about Fulmer "We got F'ed by the Great Pumpkin again".

The Great Pumpkin Rules

We might as well get depressed now, because Phil already made the bonehead decision. What did we really expect from the Great Pumpkin?

What's amazing is people on here can't tell the coaches who WINS from those that don't. Yeah, there are the Fulmerites who bow down to him & kiss his ring among other things but those people are blind followers. They're the same ones who don't blame him for the downfall of the program which he, Fulmer, caused--he did, not anyone else, because he neglected the program and sat back on his rear. I guess the only way Kiffin can get Phil to look at him is for Kiffin to buy a Krispy Kreme franchise.

Do I need to go on? There are 2 active threads right now that are solely about how much they hate Fulmer.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
With 1311 posts and only 19 likes shows you have a very negative out look. More like you have just been trolling. and still are.

Or like literally 11 (or fewer) of those post came after the like system was implemented ... smh kids these days.

Reactions: 3 people

Sweet baby Jesus! What is it with semi quasi adults and "likes?" I never even look at a person's "likes." :eek:lol:

Reactions: 1 person
You need to go see post 60 in my other thread buddy

I'm assuming this is what you are talking about?
Everyone calm down. Most here know I'm a Fulmer supporter. My op was written very poorly due to somewhat of an altered state of mind and being half asleep. I think what I was trying ask was, if this was clarifying the opposing crowds agenda. Could they have been right? How does this make us look? As stated, though poorly, I know this is a hard and critical time in recruiting for us. To us, we see it as a positive. But could it actually be off putting to the recruits and their families? It's possible others will use this against us and it actually have a negative impact. Only time will tell

Well, it appears I wasn't the only one that misunderstood, if you are having to explain it over there as well.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back