Which would you choose and why?

VFLCodyGBO

WGWTFA
1998 Coach Fulmer (without his staff, just the man and a randomized staff that may or may not include members of the original staff) with this year’s team

or

CJP (with his current staff) and 1998s team.

Fulmer's record was 152-52 and went 11-5 against Bama. 'Nuff said. Pruitt has a way to go before he can hold a candle to Fulmer.

Reactions: 11 people
Considering CPF has shown he can win and was a coach for many years and CJP hasn't even coached a game yet as a head coach this question is 1 sided.

Reactions: 2 people
1998 Coach Fulmer (without his staff, just the man and a randomized staff that may or may not include members of the original staff) with this year’s team

or

Attachments

• images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    6.9 KB · Views: 413
The 98 team would beat almost every team by walking on the field. And Fulmer recruited them. We need to get back to that level of talent again.

Reactions: 2 people
Go look at some old videos of us from the 98 season. There is absolutely no comparison to how much faster the plays developed back then. Our offensive line was faster then than some of our running backs over the past few years. I know it was a different style offense from then to now but we were big and fast?

Reactions: 1 person
Some people like KFC original recipe , some like KFC extra crispy. Thin crust pizza is better than thick crust(?).

Jimmies and Joes not x’s and o’s

The most overused, inaccurate phrase in football.

Proof?

Butch Jones.

A player's supposed ability, ranked by a subjective metric, only goes so far. The maxims abruptly come to mind now....

Something about discipline, intensity, fundamental football...criteria that are implicitly defined in those maxims, and are lead-pipe cinch truths to X and O football.

Last edited:
To say the least I’m no computer guru but there’s much to be said for the act of returning to protected files. Going back to when orange Volunteer football was clean and strong by coach Fulmer returning to help guide the program feels like the right move, I’m at peace with it. That said I support CJP in that he is the coach, it’s his show now. Go Vols!

or

I would take CJP and this staff and the '98 team in a heartbeat.

I have nothing against Fulmer, and there may be something to this VFL thing (though I am not totally convinced), but Fulmer with this year's team and not knowing who the staff is - It's a no for me.

After the debacle of the last decade, I can certainly see the AD being a VFL (as a good thing). I think this definitely helps the situation, but it may be more important that he is an ex-coach, and not just a pencil pusher - but I guess that's a subject for another thread.

I will take General Neyland and the 1939 team who went 70 something quarters without allowing an opponent to score. Entire season shoutout every opponent. NCAA record that will never be broken.

Reactions: 1 person
That year, unbeaten, untied, unscored upon... still blows my mind. But 1998 - I was there, all the way through, National Championship, all. Have our tickets framed. What a year.

VN Store

Back