Why is everyone so optimistic about Pruitt and his staff?

I am glad the disaster of a coaching search is over like everyone else, but I am not completely sold on Pruitt and the staff. From where I am standing, we will have a head coach who has never been in that role before, an offensive coordinator who did not call plays at his last job, and a defensive coordinator who was a position coach last year. What could possibly go wrong with that combination? :crazy: Does the name Larry Scott or Sal Sunseri ring any bells? I can handle hiring a rookie head coach, but the combination of inexperience at all three of the most important positions of the coaching staff is cause for concern. Butch was criticized for hiring his buddies to his own detriment, so what do you make of these moves by Pruitt? He got his first opportunity to be a head coach and he put the future of Tennessee football in the hands of his inexperienced buddies. He hopes it will all work out, but if it doesnt he can go back to Bama and Tennessee will continue to suck.

Last edited:
Reactions: 15 people
Maybe because the position coaches Pruitt is hiring are more than a friend. They're guys who have been good at their positions, as compared to what we had. Jmo

Reactions: 24 people
I am glad the disaster of a coaching search is over like everyone else, but I am not completely sold on Pruitt and the staff. From where I am standing, we will have a head coach who has never been in that role before, an offensive coordinator who did not call plays at his last job, and a defensive coordinator who was a position coach last year. What could possibly go wrong with that combination? :crazy: Does the name Larry Scott or Sal Sunseri ring any bells? I can handle hiring a rookie head coach, but the combination of inexperience at all three of the most important positions of the coaching staff is cause for concern. Butch was criticized for hiring his buddies to his own detriment, but what do you call these moves by Pruitt? He got his first opportunity to be a head coach and he put the future of Tennessee football in the hands of his inexperienced buddies. He hopes it will all work out, but if it doesnt he can go back to Bama and Tennessee will continue to suck.

Well, for starters, I don't think his DC needs to have experience at that position so much, because Pruitt (an experienced DC) will have a lot of say so on that side of the ball. You may have a better case on offense.

My optimism comes from the fact that he seems to have a plan, and has so far been able to implement it with very few hickups. He seems to be getting what he has wanted on his staff, and I think recruits are listening to him as well.

He has apparently told two QB's that they can find another place to play. Some may see this as a bad sign, but again, I think he has a plan and is confident that he can make it work.

He appears to be cherry picking staff from other SEC schools, which has it's benefits, including the highly regarded GM from LSU.

He also appears to be laying a foundation of having more support staff than TN is accustomed to having. This is the Alabama model, and if we want to compete with them, we may have to start with mimicking them in this area.

All this may be for naught if he fails to change things with Strength and Conditioning, or if he cannot teach the players or implement a good game plan. However, all we can go on is what he has done in one week, which I think is cause for lots of optimism.

Reactions: 36 people
Whats wrong with showing excitement for a new coach? Some fans will set unreal expectations sure, but that would happen who ever we got.

If Pruitt doesnt work out, then we will be back to the drawing board again. Head coaches are crap shoots. There are only a few cannot miss guys. And Leavh and Kiffin arent on that extremely small list.

Reactions: 9 people
It’s like the new toy for Christmas- all excited then the shine starts to fade. That said, it’s a new direction and different from the disastrous Botch era... that’s enough for me right now.

Reactions: 4 people
Whats wrong with showing excitement for a new coach? Some fans will set unreal expectations sure, but that would happen who ever we got.

If Pruitt doesnt work out, then we will be back to the drawing board again. Head coaches are crap shoots. There are only a few cannot miss guys. And Leavh and Kiffin arent on that extremely small list.
Nothing wrong with being excited. I was simply asking why? I dont see any reason to believe with any certainty that we'll be competing at a high level soon. See my concerns about the head coach, offensive coordinator, and defensive coordinator. It is scary as heck to have all 3 of those jobs in the hands of inexperienced guys.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 people

We got ourselves a solid football coach,who would be coaching in a power 5 conference whether we hired him or not. A better option than a novelty coach in Leach and a shady mamby pamby like kiffin.

I for one am happy with the fact the guy knows football. It is evident in the way he speaks he knows X’s and O’s. He sounds like a football coach. I never once got that feeling with Butch. So that’s a start.

Reactions: 12 people
I think mainly because he’s stealing away some of them from other schools. And the schools reactions that we are stealing them away from are that they hate it. That usually means your way getting a good one. Plus most everyone on this staff are really great recruiters. That’s where it starts. They have also proven to be able to develope players. The only ? I really have is the OC. Not sold on him at all but we will see.

Happiness is a choice. This fan base is so battered and beaten they NEED to believe in this new coaching staff. JMHO, obviously I can only speak for me.

Reactions: 18 people
I think mainly because he’s stealing away some of them from other schools. And the schools reactions that we are stealing them away from are that they hate it. That usually means your way getting a good one. Plus most everyone on this staff are really great recruiters. That’s where it starts. They have also proven to be able to develope players. The only ? I really have is the OC. Not sold on him at all but we will see.

I’d like to add, some of these are SEC schools and have had SEC experience.

Let’s be real here, everyone is super pumped it’s not Butch again. Other than that, I’m excited because Pruitt seems like a straight shooter. I had my doubts when he was announced; stil do. I cannot promise he will be good. We all know he is a risk. To me, it seems like a good risk. He actually has the mentality of an actual coach and has actual experience in the SEC. Is he going to do well? Well, that’s to be determined. I’m a Vol fan, and I’m excited for something new. I’m optimistic there is a chance that this will actually work in our favor. I’m optimistic in the fact Pruitt seems determined and has SEC experience. I’m also optimistic because we can only go up from where we are currently. Last of all, I’m optimistic because I’m all Vol and love this University and the passion of it’s fan base. That’s what makes me optimistic. GBO!!

Reactions: 2 people
I could be wrong, but I believe GA fans were excited about Kirby Smart being brought over from Bama to lead their team.
That worked out pretty well.

Reactions: 6 people
Absolute desperation to be able to say they root for a winner. The health of so many egos tied to the performance of kids they'll never meet and who could not care less about them. Ie, fandom.

Reactions: 6 people
I'm very much taking a wait and see approach.

As much as Will West gets on my nerves, he did make a good point yesterday:

It's not that hard to win at UT.

With sub-par assistants, a baffling refusal modify his system to fit his players and despite often keeping the better players on the bench Jones still won 8 games a couple times (9 with a bowl).

Is it difficult to beat Bama, win the east with a surging UGA? Sure.

But with a couple easy ooc games, UK, USC and Vandy on the schedule you should have at least 3-5 built in wins every year.

If Pruitt can recruit and have above average coaching then he should be competitive.

The main reason I think he could be successful is that he knows what the SEC is about so it all comes down to recruiting and player development.

1427752096-shep.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 people
Overreact much?

Not really tho just not how he meant it. It's the opposite. There are a lot of sports fans who feel entitled to success, who feel their team/school owes them a successful team. I want my teams to win all the time, I absolutely hate loosing but I also know that university of Tennessee doesn't owe me squat. So while I get bummed as hell when the Vols loose, I'm not going to let it turn me into a bitter, angry guy when it happens. As the last few years have taught me, I can't tie my happiness to the success of a college football team. It's way too stressful living and dying on every game.

Also just because I choose to support CJP doesn't make me a ball washer. That makes me someone who's optimistic because the guy is assembling a very well rounded staff who other teams all want. He comes across as a much more real football guy than butch. Why do we always have to be so black and white? Why do I have to either hate the guy or be his #1 fan and spokesman? Is there no middle ground anymore? A stadium full of sceptics isn't going to really do anything good for the team either lol.

Last edited:
I am glad the disaster of a coaching search is over like everyone else, but I am not completely sold on Pruitt and the staff. From where I am standing, we will have a head coach who has never been in that role before, an offensive coordinator who did not call plays at his last job, and a defensive coordinator who was a position coach last year. What could possibly go wrong with that combination?

I bet Santa never brings what you want! Have you ever thought, maybe Santa is not the problem?

Pruitt bringing top-notch staff to Tennessee

Vols, Pruitt raiding SEC rival for key staff hire

Reactions: 3 people
I am glad the disaster of a coaching search is over like everyone else, but I am not completely sold on Pruitt and the staff. From where I am standing, we will have a head coach who has never been in that role before, an offensive coordinator who did not call plays at his last job, and a defensive coordinator who was a position coach last year. What could possibly go wrong with that combination? :crazy: Does the name Larry Scott or Sal Sunseri ring any bells? I can handle hiring a rookie head coach, but the combination of inexperience at all three of the most important positions of the coaching staff is cause for concern. Butch was criticized for hiring his buddies to his own detriment, so what do you make of these moves by Pruitt? He got his first opportunity to be a head coach and he put the future of Tennessee football in the hands of his inexperienced buddies. He hopes it will all work out, but if it doesnt he can go back to Bama and Tennessee will continue to suck.

Maybe following college football isn't for you....

I think some have their "Fulmer can do no wrong, Butch and Currie did everything wrong glasses on".

I seriously think that if Currie had hired Pruitt most would be up in arms because he hired a coordinator - but it was Fulmer.

And I seriously think that if Fulmer had hired Schaino most would have supported the hire.

We are going to have a staff that has for the most part never worked together. They are also very young and inexperienced. I'm not sure there is even a vision this point. To get recruits there must be a vision.

We have the players on the team, right now, to win 8 games next year - but that will depend upon this staff coming together for a common vision that fits the personnel. If that doesn't happen, well, maybe we can break another record and lose 9 games.

VN Store

Back