We can win next year

TennesseeRhett

As I see it, our failures on the field last year were due to poor play calling and an unbelievable attrition from injuries. We simply could not handle that unfortunate combination. We needed talent to overcome the poor coaching, and much of that talent was in a cast on the sidelines.

The best thing Butch Jones did while at Tennessee was recruit. from his second year onward, we had top 10 recruiting classes. There is real talent on this team.

I've seen several threads talking about how bad next year could be. They cite a brutal schedule and a new coaching staff as very reasonable causes for a potentially bad outcome next year. I submit that, even with losses to Bama, Georgia, Auburn next year, there is potential to have a 9 win regular season. The talent is there, the injuries should be healed, and lets hope to God that the coaching is improved. WVU, UK, SCAR, UF, Mizzou, Vandy and the cupcakes will all be winnable games.

It may not go that way. I hope that it does, and I don't believe I am being foolish in thinking that it is a realistic possibility.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 people
As I see it, our failures on the field last year were due to poor play calling and an unbelievable attrition from injuries. We simply could not handle that unfortunate combination. We needed Talent to overcome the poor coaching, and much that talent was in a cast on the sidelines.

The best thing Butch Jones did while at Tennessee was recruit. from his second year onward, we had top 10 recruiting classes. There is real talent on this team.

I've seen several threads talking about how bad next year could be. They cite a brutal schedule and a new coaching staff as very reasonable causes for a potentially bad outcome next year. I submit that, even with losses to Bama, Georgia, Auburn next year, there is potential to have a 9 win regular season. The talent is there, the injuries should be healed, and lets hope to God that the coaching is improved. WVU, UK, SCAR, UF, Mizzou, Vandy and the cupcakes will all be winnable games.

It may not go that way. I hope that it does, and I don't believe I am being foolish in thinking that it is a realistic possibility.

Most likely we will struggle early while the team is learning the new systems and getting these JUCO's up to speed. The coaching will show the most in the second half of the season and I think we will be pleasantly surprised with the product at the end of the season.

Reactions: 4 people
Injuries won't be healed. On OL many are gone for good. Jack Jones for instance is done with football. Hall may not be back also. You cannot overcome a thin under developed O line. It will stop the rest of the offense from working. And a poor offense eventually will wear down even a good defense. So the OL will likely prevent this team from having a good season in 18. Our only hope is that the staff lands some of the Juco's and develops the current roster by next fall. That is a tall order.

Reactions: 3 people
Foolish? no. there's a lot of unanswered questions. but to get to that kind of record, just like this past year, we'd have to get a whole lot of right answers.

just tough to do that in year one. there's some front line talent, agreed. but we're still not very good on the O line, we have issues at LB. depth is a concern at almost every position.

there's some legit football reasons why 9-3 is probably unattainable, to go along with the brutal schedule.

go to a bowl. get reps. recruit. develop. and see what 2019 brings....i think going to a bowl, 7 reg season wins, would be a really good 1st year.

Reactions: 11 people
Remember this team was 4-8 last year.

When Kirby took over UGA, he took a 10 win team the year before and digressed to 7-5 in the regular season. Usually first year coaches making major changes to the offensive and defensive systems see a few more losses than the prior year.

Increasing the wins from 4 to 6 despite all the changes would be a good season.

Reactions: 1 person
Better coaching could have helped with some close matchups like the Florida game but we were outclassed and outgunned in most of our SEC matchups. Trust me, I was at the Georgia game, it was not pretty. I think it will take Pruitt and co a few years to rebuild but I would not be shocked if we go .500 and are bowl eligible next year.

Remember this team was 4-8 last year.

When Kirby took over UGA, he took a 10 win team the year before and digressed to 7-5 in the regular season. Usually first year coaches making major changes to the offensive and defensive systems see a few more losses than the prior year.

Increasing the wins from 4 to 6 despite all the changes would be a good season.

I was skeptical of Smart his first year at UGA. Obviously he was learning on the job BUT this second year for him has been terrific. If CJP can have that second year success like Smart that would be awesome. IMO first year expectations should be 6-6 and get to a bowl game for Pruitt. There is too much talent left on this team for a 4-8 repeat in 2018.

Reactions: 2 people
As I see it, our failures on the field last year were due to poor play calling and an unbelievable attrition from injuries. We simply could not handle that unfortunate combination. We needed Talent to overcome the poor coaching, and much that talent was in a cast on the sidelines.

I think that’s being to optimistic. I’m excited about the hire but back it up just a bit. Our O line is going to be a mes... once again. That is the foundation of a winning program and we’re really struggling there. I figured more on splitting those winnable games which puts us at a realistic 6-7 wins. If we somehow squeaked out 8 then your talking about a SEC coach of the year candidate. We’re still gonna be playing with the same players from last year. Some will develop, but I also believe some were overrated.

Reactions: 2 people
Simply staying healthy will increase our win total significantly. However our schedule next year is brutal. I think if Pruitt can get this team to 8-4 he is a bonafide "Miracle Man" in the purest, Ozzy Osbourne-sung sense!

Reactions: 5 people

Seven wins would be a great season next year. We do not have all that much SEC talent.

Better coaching could have helped with some close matchups like the Florida game but we were outclassed and outgunned in most of our SEC matchups. Trust me, I was at the Georgia game, it was not pretty. I think it will take Pruitt and co a few years to rebuild but I would not be shocked if we go .500 and are bowl eligible next year.

It was ugly from home as well. That’s what “not giving a sh*t” looks like from a team.

I was skeptical of Smart his first year at UGA. Obviously he was learning on the job BUT this second year for him has been terrific. If CJP can have that second year success like Smart that would be awesome. IMO first year expectations should be 6-6 and get to a bowl game for Pruitt. There is too much talent left on this team for a 4-8 repeat in 2018.

Smart benefited big time from Richt’s recruits and an all time sec statistical rb wanting to forego the draft for a “special season” and the players rallied. That and the East being a complete dumpster fire with FU and UT losing their coaches during the season was an easy recipe for success. We’ll find out how good Smart really is these next 2 years. Only having one team worth a damn on your schedule during the year isn’t very telling.

Smart benefited big time from Richt’s recruits and an all time sec statistical rb wanting to forego the draft for a “special season” and the players rallied. That and the East being a complete dumpster fire with FU and UT losing their coaches during the season was an easy recipe for success. We’ll find out how good Smart really is these next 2 years. Only having one team worth a damn on your schedule during the year isn’t very telling.

You may be spot on but KS is in the CFB playoff year two.

Simply staying healthy will increase our win total significantly. However our schedule next year is brutal. I think if Pruitt can get this team to 8-4 he is a bonafide "Miracle Man" in the purest, Ozzy Osbourne-sung sense!

If he can get us to 8-4, there is no reason 9-3 isn’t realistic. I like our chances against Florida. They are a hot mess too and will be playing us in ktown.

It would take a near miracle and everything would have to go in our favor. It is more realistic to expect a few close games go against us, but I’m not giving up until it happens. I feel like there’s hope with the new dynamics. I gave up on Botch in 2017. He found ways to lose and was quite adept at doing so.

We have a bunch of people embracing the loser mentality here. 6-6 should be the absolute floor. 7-5 is likely but we could win up to 9 games regular season. With improved coaching, some jucos, and a freshman or two added to what we have coming back we should expect to be 6-6 at the least.

Seven wins would be a great season next year. We do not have all that much SEC talent.

I would say we really don't know how much talent we have because so many of the players have been injured and/or under coached. The key to any team are the lines of scrimmage and for Tennessee especially the OL. OL play comes down to two things technique and will. The technique side is basically footwork and pad leverage. Many HS OL win their 1 on 1 battles simply because they are bigger and stronger than their opponent. That kind of advantage doesn't happen against SEC opponents. Footwork gets you angles; its easier to block someone you have an angle on. Pad leverage means your center of gravity is lower than your opponents and gives you leverage similar to using a lever and fulcrum to move a heavy object you couldn't budge without the leverage. Wrestlers use these same techniques. Ingraining these techniques in the VOL OL such that they stay in their technique even when tired and in the heat of battle is paramount to good OL play. I expect CJP's staff to be good teachers. The second and equally important element of OL play is will. You can't teach it only embellish it. Right now other than Trey Smith I can't say any of the current OL have a SEC caliber will to win. I hope I am wrong.

Beat the teams we are supposed too. And show improvements each week. Do that and I think it'll be a good first season for Coach. Take that momentum into the following season.

We aren't "loaded" with Talent.. But we absolutely have more talent than:

Vandy
Mizzou
Kentucky
South Carolina
West Virginia

Those 5 games should be wins with the talent we have right now.

VN Store

Back