Marvin West on Pruitt

:rock::rock::rock:It is so good to read a well written sports article on UT. Marvin West served us well as the Sports Editor of the New Sentinel. Unfortunately, we are forced to put up with the "crap" of John Adams...Why do we tolerate his constant criticism of Vol sports. Let's send him back to his native swamps of Louisiana...nor sure that he would even make good Gator bait!

Wow, a logical, well thought out, well written article.

Who'd a thunk it?

Good post.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 people
Marvin is one of my favorite writers.
Experience on the fly - Knox TN Today

LINK

Marvin West is as fair and middle of the road as one can get. He's a Vols fan, but he doesn't let that get in the way of writing what is needed. Too bad the writers of today are more concerned about internet click counts, facebook likes, and radio drama to do the job they were trained for - inform the reader/listener and let them decide how to feel.

Reactions: 2 people
I would think having a father who's a legendary High School coach can only be a big plus. Many of these players are only half a year (or much less) removed from their last H.S. game and his dad knows how to get the best and the most out of young men. Likely much of that knowledge has been passed down.

Reactions: 1 person
The HC of the top 3 CFP teams never had served as HC prior.

Sometimes an OC or DC stepping up has an insatiable hunger to prove himself.

It's really nice to know Pruitt's background. No Cincinnati or Wilkes University college or Louisiana Tech. Coming to an SEC school from SEC schools so he doesn't need a learning curve to have an understanding of what it takes to win in the SEC. No more Champions of Life trophies for UT.

Hoping he can sure up some of the JUCO guys that he has offered. I honestly think next year will be better than some expect and the following year will be a little bit of a let down, in 2019 we are losing a ton of experience on this team.

Tom Siler - Knoxville News-Sentinel Sports Editor - A+
Marvin West - Knoxville News-Sentinel Sports Editor - A+
Al Browning - Knoxville News-Sentinel Sports Editor - C+
John Adams - Knoxville News-Sentinel Sports Editor - F

Mr.West is not looking for clicks or attention. He just wrote a fine
article that actually had facts and common sense intertwined with
his story. He used logic and his knowledge of the program's history to layout how having
someone like Coach Pruitt leading the program might just be a smart idea.

He didn't start out with an axe to grind because he was butt hurt about
the UT fans standing up for themselves to take back their program.

Writers like Mr.West are what made reading the sports page an enjoyable
experience.

Last edited:
Tom Siler - Knoxville News-Sentinel Sports Editor - A+
Marvin West - Knoxville News-Sentinel Sports Editor - A+
Al Browning - Knoxville News-Sentinel Sports Editor - C+
John Adams - Knoxville News-Sentinel Sports Editor - F

Mr.West is not looking for clicks or attention. He just wrote a fine
article that actually had facts and common sense intertwined with
his story. He used logic and common sense to layout what having a
someone like Coach Pruitt to lead the program.

He didn't start out with an axe to grind because he was butt hurt about
the UT fans standing up for themselves to take back their program.

Writers like Mr.West are what made reading the sports page an enjoyable
experience.

That may be too high of a grade for Adams and Browning!:shakehead:

That may be too high of a grade for Adams and Browning!:shakehead:
Adams is so god awful, that I had to grade Browning on a curve. Compared to Adams, Browning was, it pains me to say these words, quite an improvement.

Adams is the worst writer that I have ever tried to digest. He literally cannot write an informative or entertaining article. He thinks that he is amusing and he is not on so many levels. He sucks beyond anything that one can even imagine.

Love this line in the article:

Quote: IÂ’m guessing those who adjust and adapt will end up loving him, even if he doesnÂ’t invent fancy slogans.

Marvin has to be pushing 90 now. Amazing career. He has written a few books and has one he's finishing about his snowbird life in Jocotepec, Mexico where he owns a home and lives part-time.

VN Store

Back