Dormady's surgery progress

plaincityvol

Sorry if I missed, what is the status Dormady after his surgery? When is allowed to start throwing and will he available for spring practice? I think we are going to need him when all is said and done.

Reactions: 2 people
I believe Dormady will come back strong and win the starting job next fall barring another as yet known QB in the mix.

Reactions: 16 people
Dormady probably just needs to go somewhere else for a fresh start, I think he's talented, I think he would be a good fit for the offense, but I also think the players have kind of accepted JG as the starting quarterback. He should be able to graduate transfer.

Reactions: 7 people
Dormady probably just needs to go somewhere else for a fresh start, I think he's talented, I think he would be a good fit for the offense, but I also think the players have kind of accepted JG as the starting quarterback. He should be able to graduate transfer.

Not the question asked. What is his prognosis? Will he be competing in the spring? Guarantano was made the starter because of injury and the coach is no longer at UT. Will Dormady be competing for the starting job or not?

If QD comes back healthy would not surprise me at all if he wins the starting job back. This team with jc transferes and incoming freshman could look very different come fall. QD could be the perfect fit for the new offense.

QD spent a lot of time with the returning offensive players last year, both in preseason and as the starter. The players can easily get behind him if he were to win the job. Plus it won't matter either way to new guys. They will all rally behind whoever wins the job because they want to get the taste of 4-8 out of their mouths. And really they just want to win games. That is why they came to UT.

Reactions: 1 person

He was the starter and won more games this year before he got hurt. Why wouldn't he have the best chance to start? IF the OL can protect him he will be good. I'm ok with either qb but he will work better without running the fake option 20 times a game.

Reactions: 5 people
I honestly don't see a lot of separation between the 3 QBs at this point. JG took the longest to get spun up and get the game to slow down for him but when he did, he played very well with one exception: holding the ball too long and getting sacked (OL woes didn't help). He also hasn't shown that scramble yet.

McBride was strong out of the gate and scrambled really well. He forced some turnovers but hey the game was getting out of reach and he kind of had too.

I really don't think we saw Domady at his best. Don't know when he got hurt but he clearly wasn't throwing in games like he was in practice. Especially in the first half of games...maybe he had to warm up that arm? Don't expect him to be 100% until summer or fall.

Martinez looks good too.

I guess with all of that said, who will adapt to the new offensive scheme the best?, the fastest?

If you gave me a choice of Dormady,Guarantano,or McBride in a pro style offense Im taking Dormady.

If we're still in the spread Ill take Guarantano.

Not the question asked. What is his prognosis? Will he be competing in the spring? Guarantano was made the starter because of injury and the coach is no longer at UT. Will Dormady be competing for the starting job or not?

Would shock me if QD is around next next season. JG was the better QB of the 2. Not saying much our offense struggled all season. Both got hit more than any QB ever should but one thing JG didn't do was be a turnover waiting to happen. Dormady was a turnover machine and JG wasn't. Highly doubt Dormady could beat him out now anyway. Turnovers will get a QB pulled faster than anything.

Reactions: 3 people
A healthy Dormady is the best of the three QBs. McBride is next up as he has the most natural ability. Guarantano is not a QB, he is unable to read defenses and holds the ball too long - needs a position change, WR or DB.

Reactions: 15 people
Dormady fits the new scheme a lot better imo. Either way, we’re screwed with our oline.

He actually doesn't. JG fits it much better and doesn't kill his team with numerous turnovers a game and in the end zone more times than I could count. JG and McBride are both better fits than Dormady.

Man opinions are all over the board in this thread.
To answer your question, I don't know for sure, but I think with that injury QD could be throwing some but not fully recovered to compete at a high level by Spring.

He actually doesn't. JG fits it much better and doesn't kill his team with numerous turnovers a game and in the end zone more times than I could count. JG and McBride are both better fits than Dormady.

New coaches, new scheme, saying anyone is better than anyone else at this point and time is nonsense. It's an even playing field, and whoever starts will have to earn it. If the players don't like that, they know where the door is.

Reactions: 9 people
A healthy Dormady is the best of the three QBs. McBride is next up as he has the most natural ability. Guarantano is not a QB, he is unable to read defenses and holds the ball too long - needs a position change, WR or DB.

We must have been watching different QB's play. JG's one problem could be corrected with proper coaching and experience. Dormady was a JR and regularly made FR mistakes with all of his turnovers. I'd take a QB taking too many sacks over being a turnover waiting to happen anyway. JG was getting his first college action and still learning how to play faster. QD has played enough as a JR to not continuing turning the ball over as much as he did. And had another 10+ over the season that could have been intercepted if not for receivers bailing him out. Truth be told none of the QB's got the kind of coaching they should get at a school like TN. All the Ayers on the roster deserved better coaching than they got. Butch and his staff failed the players badly and cheated them all from what they deserved to get. This isn't an FCS school or HS where you are limited on getting the coaching that will bring out the best in each player. They have all be cheated and deserved much better than what they got.

Reactions: 6 people

I think the players need to accept they no longer get a vote. They no longer get to push around a weak ineffective self doubting coach into firing strength coaches, nutirtionists, they dont get to swing helmets stomp faces or vote players off.

None of them were remarkable. Whoever decides to show up for Spring will probably compete on equal footing with the others. I hope there is a quarterback whisperer among the new coaches.

Reactions: 1 person
no new info has been released on QD's progression or status on the team (by media anyway)...to be continued...:)

GO VOLS!

Our best QB last season was McBride.

Of course this is eye test only. I'm curious to see how Dormady does in a new system.

I hope he wins the job, and plays amazingly good.

We must have been watching different QB's play. JG's one problem could be corrected with proper coaching and experience. Dormady was a JR and regularly made FR mistakes with all of his turnovers. I'd take a QB taking too many sacks over being a turnover waiting to happen anyway. JG was getting his first college action and still learning how to play faster. QD has played enough as a JR to not continuing turning the ball over as much as he did. And had another 10+ over the season that could have been intercepted if not for receivers bailing him out. Truth be told none of the QB's got the kind of coaching they should get at a school like TN. All the Ayers on the roster deserved better coaching than they got. Butch and his staff failed the players badly and cheated them all from what they deserved to get. This isn't an FCS school or HS where you are limited on getting the coaching that will bring out the best in each player. They have all be cheated and deserved much better than what they got.

Not one of them could throw the ball very accurately using one eye to see of out their helmet’s ear hole after getting sacked so often.

JD threw off of his back foot on every throw. Don’t know if it was because of injury mechanics or gun shyness. Best pure QB for Helton’s Offense right now.

JG was severely leashed by play calling to safe screens and limited downfield options with max protect. He never got the time to check down to the third option with the weak line, and after awhile, they stopped sending three receivers into a pattern to help block. JG's play suffered from slow decision-making processes, and he eventually reverted to his feet when the pocket inevitably broke down. Unlike NJ High School, the LB’s have faster closing speed which killed alot if drives. I am struggling to see how he fits into the new scheme.

WMcB was tough in limited action. Big props to him for his durability and attitude in Burning his redshirt. Book’s wide open for his future. Like to see more before settling in or moving on.

JMHO, but with Kelly and the returning WR talent, we’ll be ok. Hope that the younger Wolf is as hungry as his brother.

Would settle for a competent game manager if we can get a line to open some holes for our 3 returning backs who can all play.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back