3364 users online now!    CONTACT US | ADVERTISE | REGISTER       

About this Page -- This is a discussion on Sports analysis at USA Today Page 2. within the forum Tennessee Vols Football. ...

Go Back   VolNation > >

Old 12-12-2017, 04:08 PM   #16
VolBricks
Nonconformist Member

Sports analysis at USA Today Sports analysis at USA Today Sports analysis at USA Today
Sports analysis at USA Today Sports analysis at USA Today Sports analysis at USA Today Sports analysis at USA Today
Anyone with half a brain knew that Gruden was not giving up his cushy job to come coach college football. We (the fans) made TN a laughing stock by perpetuating the "Grumors". I am glad Currie is gone, Schiano was not hired and Gruden is no where near our program. With that said we missed on a lot of good coaches while Currie was "searching" for "his" coach.
VN Likes: 4
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 12-12-2017, 04:11 PM   #17
wtmvol

Sports analysis at USA Today Sports analysis at USA Today
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangesicle View Post
Posted Today:

LOSER: TENNESSEE
In the end, Tennessee ended up with an inferior coach, an overmatched athletic director and setting a new standard for a disastrous coaching search. The hires that former athletic director John Currie was on the cusp of making – Greg Schiano and Mike Leach – are exponentially more accomplished and better qualified for the Tennessee job. But Phil Fulmer’s power play ended up with him in control as athletic director and Alabama defensive coordinator Jeremy Pruitt as coach. Pruitt is just inexperienced enough that Fulmer will be able to keep sticking his nose in the program, which is what he’s wanted since he was run out of the job nearly a decade ago. (The classic clueless Fulmer moment was treating the press conference to dismiss Currie like he’d just been hired as coach again, as his tone – including introducing his family in attendance – showed a stunning lack of self-awareness.) Opposing SEC athletic directors, by the way, are giddy to have Fulmer in charge, as his administrative acumen presents little threat to the rest of the league. Expect Tennessee’s glory to remain faded.
It blows my mind that a "respected national journalist" could write the above statement (the preceding quoted portion is written with a huge eye roll). If I didn't know better, I'd say it was written by a lunatic fan of one of Tennessee's rivals. Seriously, you'd have a hard time finding a post by some moron Bama fan about our coaching search any stupider. There are so many ridiculous phrases in there, I don't even know where to begin.

It's sad that Dan Wolken of all people looks completely impartial towards UT's chances with CJP contrasted with Thamel.
VN Likes: 6
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 12-12-2017, 04:23 PM   #18
i2amavol

Sports analysis at USA Today Sports analysis at USA Today Sports analysis at USA Today Sports analysis at USA Today Sports analysis at USA Today Sports analysis at USA Today Sports analysis at USA Today Sports analysis at USA Today Sports analysis at USA Today
Quote:
Originally Posted by UT Hill Man View Post
1 - Gruden was happy to play along with our stupid fantasy of being our head coach. It just goes to show you're never to old or successful to enjoy a good troll job.

2 - Currie looks like the luckiest guy on the planet after all this. He gets 5 million to not have to be part of the most dysfunctional athletic department/fan base in college sports.

3 - I hope to dear Jesus the next time we go looking for a coach that social media doesn't play a role in the hire.
#1 - May or may not be true. I have read that he was never given a serious chance at the job. How would that be his fault?

#2 - That has some merit...but I think he and Haslam were a major part of that dysfunction...So, I take it back. He was at ground zero of the dysfunction...but yes, no need to cry for millionaires.

#3 - Stopping the Schiano mess, and backing Haslam down was worth every ounce of effort. Whatever hasn't been working the past 10 years needed to stop. I believe that the fans played a large part in the reset. It was SO worth whatever negative vibes we may have temporarily sent out.

You may or may not remember that the Alabama situation was consider a laughing stock, even after Saban was hired. Looking back, it was all worth it for them. I also think the temporary setbacks will prove to have been worthwhile in three or four years....We will see.

Last edited by i2amavol; 12-12-2017 at 04:25 PM..
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 12-12-2017, 04:26 PM   #19
easleychuck
Former Golden Bear

Sports analysis at USA Today
Sports analysis at USA Today Sports analysis at USA Today Sports analysis at USA Today Sports analysis at USA Today Sports analysis at USA Today Sports analysis at USA Today Sports analysis at USA Today
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOAV View Post
Dan Wolken can suck a fat one.
Dan Wolken is just another butt hurt Vandy grad.

Once you realize that you understand why he hates on UT. His hate for UT is real and he uses it to throw the Vols under the bus as often as he can.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 12-12-2017, 04:26 PM   #20
Glocker_Alum_2005

Sports analysis at USA Today Sports analysis at USA Today Sports analysis at USA Today
Sports analysis at USA Today Sports analysis at USA Today Sports analysis at USA Today Sports analysis at USA Today
Look, new coaching hires are pretty much a 50/50 proposition. Heck no one can say with absolute certainty that even Chip Kelly is sure fire hire at UCLA.
Not too many thought Bielema would bomb at Arky. Wolken is paid to write his opinion. It's all on paper and that is all. If we'd hired Venables he'd would likely be applauding the hire. Here's an article saying what a great hire McElwain was for Florida:

Gators pick the right man in Jim McElwain
VN Likes: 2
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 12-12-2017, 04:37 PM   #21
volunator

Sports analysis at USA Today Sports analysis at USA Today Sports analysis at USA Today Sports analysis at USA Today Sports analysis at USA Today Sports analysis at USA Today
FWIW, Currie said "I got this" so he should be the one to pony up some money to Schiano if any is to be paid. jmo
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 12-12-2017, 04:43 PM   #22
carpbc

Sports analysis at USA Today Sports analysis at USA Today Sports analysis at USA Today Sports analysis at USA Today Sports analysis at USA Today
Not journalists... just bloggers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtmvol View Post
It blows my mind that a "respected national journalist" could write the above statement (the preceding quoted portion is written with a huge eye roll). If I didn't know better, I'd say it was written by a lunatic fan of one of Tennessee's rivals. Seriously, you'd have a hard time finding a post by some moron Bama fan about our coaching search any stupider. There are so many ridiculous phrases in there, I don't even know where to begin.

It's sad that Dan Wolken of all people looks completely impartial towards UT's chances with CJP contrasted with Thamel.
Pete Thamel, if you check, is not a noted journalist or sports writer with any national paper or magazine, he is just a Yahoo blogger of no real importance.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 12-12-2017, 04:51 PM   #23
Advol

Sports analysis at USA Today Sports analysis at USA Today Sports analysis at USA Today Sports analysis at USA Today Sports analysis at USA Today
"Sports analysis at USA Today "

I believe this statement is what we call one of them thUR OXY.....MORONS!!
Little to NO Sports Analysis at USA Today.
Not sure what OXY means, but I do know a MoooreRon when I see it.

Reply With Quote TOP
Old 12-12-2017, 04:55 PM   #24
GoVols64

Sports analysis at USA Today Sports analysis at USA Today Sports analysis at USA Today Sports analysis at USA Today Sports analysis at USA Today Sports analysis at USA Today
The guys can write whatever he wants but I would like to understand how he can make a statement about other ADs being "giddy" with Fulmer in place. They may know Fulmer but no one knows what kind of AD he will be in the end. The AD, in its simplest form, raises $s, sets athletic department policy, sets performance expectations for the department and interfaces w/Admin to ensure they are informed and in agreement with any situations that would require their input/approval.

I realize there is a lot more to it but fundamentally this covers 80% of the job (IMO). In other words if he raises a ton of $; increases profits (through winning) and avoids scandals there is a good chance he is around for a long time.

What basis does the author have to suggest he can't do that at a high level?

Time will tell but until then more fake news IMO
VN Likes: 1
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 12-12-2017, 04:56 PM   #25
1974Vol
4 * 2011 QB

Sports analysis at USA Today Sports analysis at USA Today Sports analysis at USA Today Sports analysis at USA Today Sports analysis at USA Today Sports analysis at USA Today Sports analysis at USA Today Sports analysis at USA Today
Tennessee is getting blow back from a lot of media because the fans in their view pitched a hissy fit and got a coach unjustly associated with the whole Penn State Sandusky scandal and an AD fired. We're rocking the boat too much. Fans I guess are just supposed to shut-up and support whatever they are given by the powers that be which includes the National Media. How anyone could assert that Schiano or Leach for that matter are "exponentially" better than CJP is just hysteria. Plus that whole thing about Fulmer begs the question of he's clever enough to have orchestrated the whole Currie firing and everything else that went on to get made AD then why is he too dumb to be a competent AD himself? In MHO the only coach that is demonstrably better than CJP that would have taken the job is Kiffin and because of what happened in 2009 that was just not going to happen. So here we are and here's hoping CJP makes them all eat crow until it runs out their ears!
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 12-12-2017, 05:07 PM   #26
Orangedogsrule
PULEEZE LET SMOKEY WIN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AM64 View Post
Gruden has played the useful idiot for our competitors during our recent coaching searches. A major distraction while while real work needed doing. If Gruden had any real affinity for UT, he would have ended any coaching discussion and not have made and kept UT a laughingstock.
Gruden was never, ever, NEVER coming here to coach. A cush 6.5 MILLION DOLLARS (plus) per year Monday Night Football job taking him into the homes of scads of NFL fans each week should have made that apparent to all but the most thick skulled of dullards. And boy-oh-boy do we ever have a bunch of those as VOLS fans.

It is possible ESPN muckity-mucks directed him not to comment to increase viewership and clicks by said dullards? We'll probably not know the answer.

Likewise Currie could have and should have ended all speculations by stating Gruden was not on the table as a potential hire.

There is blame to spread around on that 3 ring circus run by nuthouse escapees.

Gruden??! BAH! HUMBUG!
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 12-12-2017, 05:10 PM   #27
sanefan

Sports analysis at USA Today Sports analysis at USA Today Sports analysis at USA Today Sports analysis at USA Today Sports analysis at USA Today Sports analysis at USA Today Sports analysis at USA Today Sports analysis at USA Today
Quote:
Originally Posted by AM64 View Post
I guess we'll see, but Currie was an AD made in the same way as Hart and Hamilton, and Fulmer in the same way as Neyland, Woodruff, and Dickey. On historiclal perspective alone, Fulmer has the better chance of getting it right.
I hope you are right. I'm not jumping out of windows because Fulmer is the AD. But those guys you mention, while great, are from a different era, and the AD position is much more involved than when fielding a good football team was all that mattered.

I do not have confidence that Fulmer is capable of navigating the legal, financial, and HR aspects of a large athletic department. Frankly I do not have confidence that he even cares about anything other than his personal legacy. That is my hangup to get over. I will be happy to be proved wrong over time!
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 12-12-2017, 05:24 PM   #28
Wolfeman_Vol
Orange Bromance

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1974Vol View Post
Tennessee is getting blow back from a lot of media because the fans in their view pitched a hissy fit and got a coach unjustly associated with the whole Penn State Sandusky scandal and an AD fired. We're rocking the boat too much. Fans I guess are just supposed to shut-up and support whatever they are given by the powers that be which includes the National Media. How anyone could assert that Schiano or Leach for that matter are "exponentially" better than CJP is just hysteria. Plus that whole thing about Fulmer begs the question of he's clever enough to have orchestrated the whole Currie firing and everything else that went on tot get made AD then why is he too dumb to be a competent AD himself? In MHO the only coach that is demonstrably better than CJP that would have taken the job is Kiffin and because of what happened in 2009 that was just not going to happen. So here we are and here's hoping CJP makes them all eat crow until it runs out their ears!
The media blowback is ridiculous. There's a sworn affidavit out there linking Schiano to the Sandusky scandal (true or not), and coming off our recent title 9 settlement that same media would have pounded us for hiring that buffoon. They're likely just angry that they can't write stories about that all day long.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 12-12-2017, 05:28 PM   #29
OnlyGodForgives

Loudmouth, Internet-connected fans get 100% of the blame for Grumours. Oncagain, that IQ over 10 thing.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 12-12-2017, 05:42 PM   #30
BigOrangeTrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudVOLfan View Post
Maybe Currie will resurface at Bama. I would be fine with that
Alabama cares about winning. They arent Tennessee.

"The first gulp from the glass of natural sciences will turn you into an atheist, but at the bottom of the glass God is waiting for you."- Werner Heisenberg
Reply With Quote TOP