Here's the ridiculous contract Tennessee was prepared to give Greg Schiano

The length of Tennessee's proposed deal with Schiano was for six seasons through Jan. 31, 2024, and the former coach at Rutgers and of the NFL's Tampa Bay Bucs would have earned a starting base salary of $4.4 million with a built-in raise of $50,000 each year.

[...]

That salary would have ranked as the 16th-highest salary in the country in 2017 among head coaches. That's a lot to pay for a coach who hasn't led a program of any kind since 2013.

Perhaps the Vols dodged a bullet there, but we'll never know for sure, as Schiano will remain at Ohio State for the time being.

Here's the ridiculous contract Tennessee was prepared to give Greg Schiano

Reactions: 6 people
This also showcases part of the reason our program has been hamstrung for the past decade. Haslam likes giving generous buyouts to mediocre coaches. The cynical part of me wonders if this is because he knows the university will have to beg him to pay the buyouts and that's how he maintained his power over the Athletic Department for so long.

Of course, it could just be run-of-the-mill incompetence.

Reactions: 23 people
This also showcases part of the reason our program has been hamstrung for the past decade. Haslam likes giving generous buyouts to mediocre coaches. The cynical part of me wonders if this is because he knows the university will have to beg him to pay the buyouts and that's how he maintained his power over the Athletic Department for so long.

Of course, it could just be run-of-the-mill incompetence.

I am wondering, is there another possibility in the gap between these these two scenarios? If not, I am leaning toward the more sinister of the two.

Reactions: 1 person
$27.7M for a coach no one will hire. This just tells me it was a sweetheart deal for a friend.

Reactions: 22 people
Here's the issues (I'm not an attorney but have dealt with enough contracts or employment contracts to be dangerous)

1. We did not have anything resembling reciprocity in this agreement pertaining to the buyouts (If he left UT his buyout was less than 20% of the term of the buyout but if UT fired him, it was 75%)

2. I'm concerned that this could be construed as a valid contract (See 6(d) as well as no language exists that states something similar to "This agreement is not fully valid until all parties listed on the signatory page execute the agreement". If I'm Schiano's side, I'd argue there's no language in the contract that says the MOU needs 3 signatures from UT to be valid)

Reactions: 3 people
Here's the issues (I'm not an attorney but have dealt with enough contracts or employment contracts to be dangerous)

1. We did not have anything resembling reciprocity in this agreement pertaining to the buyouts (If he left UT his buyout was less than 20% of the term of the buyout but if UT fired him, it was 75%)

2. I'm concerned that this could be construed as a valid contract (See 6(d) as well as no language exists that states something similar to "This agreement is not fully valid until all parties listed on the signatory page execute the agreement". If I'm Schiano's side, I'd argue there's no language in the contract that says the MOU needs 3 signatures from UT to be valid)

The more the smoke clears on Currie it turns out he WAS just a needle nosed weasel of the highest order. The more we hear about his time at Kansas State...the more it confirms my vibe about this guy. He looks at all us "fans" as no account pests at best. An annoyance.

It may sound childish to say...but it's true....we really showed him didn't we?

Fulmer on the other hand has an obvious respect for the fans. Imo.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 people

On #2 there are signature spaces for more UT admins that are not signed. Game over.

Reactions: 6 people

It doesn't matter does it? Let's say my best friend sells my car for me. Draws up an agreement that both sign but then I decide I don't wanna sell it for the price agreed on between the two of them. It's still my car..despite their being a "contract". The contract is just an empty piece of paper. Just cuz someone draws up a contract doesn't make it binding. I can write up a contract to sell my neighbors house...but without them signing and agreeing it's nothing.

Maybe the key thing to ask is... was Currie acting as a fully authorized rep of the university with the authority to execute this deal?

Reactions: 2 people
It doesn't matter does it? Let's say my best friend sells my car for me. Draws up an agreement that both sign but then I decide I don't wanna sell it for the price agreed on between the two of them. It's still my car..despite their being a "contract". The contract is just an empty piece of paper. Just cuz someone draws up a contract doesn't make it binding. I can write up a contract to sell my neighbors house...but without them signing and agreeing it's nothing.

Maybe the key thing to ask is... was Currie acting as a fully authorized rep of the university with the authority to execute this deal?

I took a look at my wife's employment agreement with a former employer that required multiple signatures on the other end. That contract explicitly stated that it was not valid until my wife and all individuals for the Employer signed it. There was no language like that in Schiano's contract.

Again, I'm not an attorney and will defer to those that are but I think it's a concern.

Reactions: 2 people
Thanks to All of Volnation this outrageous MOU did not got signed by the Chancellor and the President. Again Thanks to all the VFL/Volnation folks. :clapping:

Reactions: 4 people

With most multi-signature agreements I've seen, it will state that the contract isn't valid until all parties execute it. There is no such language like that in this MOU.

Granted the multiple signature lines make it seem obvious but how would Schiano and Sexton know (from the language of the MOU) that it requires all 3 signatures to be properly executed.

Last edited:
It is explicit that TN law will govern the agreement.

The question is, in TN what is considered an executed agreement?

I practice law in Tennessee and have litigated the enforceability of contracts - although I haven't done that in most recent years.

Everyone is clinging that it wasn't signed by all parties for UT--I don't think it is going to matter. It has all the elements to be a valid contract in Tennessee.

Now, that being said, it doesn't mean Schiano would be entitled to everything in the MOU. I assume Schiano's attorney will send a demand letter and they will settle before any litigation is started.

Reactions: 3 people
$27.7M for a coach no one will hire. This just tells me it was a sweetheart deal for a friend.

Like Currie's?

On #2 there are signature spaces for more UT admins that are not signed. Game over.

Same arguments all over this board, keep popping up. Plenty of arguments in UT's favor. Currie's authority was limited by UT rules, Sexton presumably knew it from experience, Sexton's knowledge may be attributed to Schiano, and MOU will be reviewed in the context of normal industry practice, customs, and usages, etc.

Hard to speculate without all the facts. For all we know, Currie may have told Schiano outright that it's not binding until it's got all the signatures, Davenport may have told Schiano by phone that Currie doesn't have authority to negotiate, etc. Who knows?

That TN had to offer that guy that much money indicates that at no point in the future of this universe will TN attract true top coaching talent. They tried to order off the menu and now we get a big crap sandwich. No honeymoon for Pruitt. Quit telling the fans to help recruit and get over here to do your job!

That TN had to offer that guy that much money indicates that at no point in the future of this universe will TN attract true top coaching talent. They tried to order off the menu and now we get a big crap sandwich. No honeymoon for Pruitt. Quit telling the fans to help recruit and get over here to do your job!

Didn’t have to offer him anything. The contract/MOU we gave him says nothing about the lowest he would have accepted.

VN Store

Back