DG's TL;DR Take on Pruitt, Coaching Search, Etc

DiderotsGhost

The craziest coaching search in college football history is over. Here are my thoughts on it all.

The search

The fan revolt was a success. We won’t know if the Pruitt hire will be a success till several years down the road, but one thing is clear: this was a better hire than Greg Schiano. I firmly believe that Schiano would’ve set the program back decades; as in, we could’ve seen 30,000 empty seats in Neyland in “Year 1” for a new coach. We would’ve been the laughing stock of college football. I’d rather take one week of negative publicity than 3+ years of a trainwreck hire. Schiano was a disaster at Tampa; an abusive autocrat who alienated anyone and everyone around him. He couldn’t land a single college or NFL job for two years because he was so toxic. While he improved Rutgers, the media often overstates this; Schiano improved recruiting, but never made Rutgers elite; he took them from a cellar-dwellar to middle-of-the-road program. While many fans latched onto the Sandusky scandal, that was far from the only reason to question his integrity, and it’s his time in Tampa that makes people less likely to believe him on Sandusky. The media may have demonized us, but we were 100% in the right; Schiano would’ve been one of the worst hires in college football history.

The decline of Haslam. Even more importantly, the revolt pushed the man who has doomed our program for the past decade out of power: Jimmy Haslam. His imprint has been all over every failure. He is now denying involvement with the search but I don’t buy it. Haslam wanted to hire Schiano at Cleveland, a few years earlier when no one else wanted to touch him. Which makes it quite a spectacular coincidence that his name would just randomly pop up as the #1 candidate at UT (and the only candidate seriously considered). I don’t know how Fulmer will fare, but without a doubt, the future is brighter without Haslam calling the shots.

Don’t blame Fulmer.
Whether or not Pruitt is a success, Fulmer took over the AD role in less than ideal circumstances. Most of the best coaches had already made their moves by the time Currie was fired. Fulmer has some weaknesses, but I do think he'll get the Athletic Department back in order as it's been one of the biggest things hampering us over the past decade.

Don’t Eeyore UT. I get sick of the “no one great wants to coach at Tennessee” narrative. It’s simply not true. We have the best facilities in the nation. We have more resources than any other program. We have a strong tradition. Our recruiting base has improved significantly over the past decade and we’re a top 10 program on recruiting advantages. The idea that no great coaches want to come here is absurdly false. It’s not that great coaches don’t want to be here. Gary Patterson wanted the job in ’08. Kirby Smart wanted it in ’12. Mike Leach wanted it this year. You wouldn’t believe the names we’ve passed up on over the past decade. The problem is that we have had several ADs (under the influence of Haslam) who didn’t want to sell and hire top candidates; Haslam wanted the candidate willing to grovel and beg for the job, rather than the great candidate who we might’ve had to sell. It’s not like Nick Saban was knocking down Alabama’s doors in 2006; Bama sold him.

Mike Leach. I’m not down on the Pruitt hire, but I do feel like we missed a golden opportunity to hire Leach. Leach has succeeded with less talent consistently. He’s 9-3 this season at Washington State. Wash State is arguably the toughest (or 2nd toughest behind Oregon State) program to win at in the Pac-12. Remember, the only season where Mike Leach arguably had top 30 talent, he went 11-2 at Texas Tech with Michael Crabtree. With the resources of a place like Tennessee, I think Leach could’ve competed for a national title within 3-8 years. We made a reasonable hire in Pruitt, but we also missed a golden opportunity. Let’s hope we don’t regret it.

The Pruitt hire.

Jeremy Pruitt. Pruitt knows defense well. I had many reservations about him due to his time in Georgia (where he was seen as causing locker room chaos), but the more I’ve read, the more I like him. That said, this is not a “home run hire” by any stretch. This is a “High Risk, High Reward” type hire. Pruitt is a great DC who could turn out to be a great HC. We know the defense will be good. We don’t know if he can fix the offense. We’ll have to wait and see.

Don’t judge the hire based on “the list.” Pete Carroll was USC’s 4th or 5th choice and was considered a poor hire. The Clemson search that resulted in Dabo Swinney getting hired was considered a complete failure. Bama had RichRod at the altar in ’06, before he backed out at the last minute, and they had to settle for Nick Saban. Some of the sports websites are giving our hire an “F” because “the process”, but it’s not exactly like we’re the first school to have a “disastrous coaching search” before and some of those “disastrous searches” yielded great coaches. In fact, it almost seems like the trainwreck searches have resulted in better candidates. Keep in mind our "smooth search" would've yielded Greg Schiano.

Offensive staff hires will be crucial. The good news is that we have a ton of talent on offense. The bad news is that it’s not been developed properly for years. You can make a legitimate case that on a talent-adjusted basis, we had the worst offense in the NCAA this season. You don’t recover from that instantly. Can Pruitt bring in the right guys to get the offense moving again? The answer to that question will tell you a lot about how Pruitt fares in Rocky Top.

Worst case scenario: Will Muschamp. This is my nightmare scenario for Pruitt. Muschamp turned Florida’s defense into an elite unit, but the offense was pretty awful for most of his time in Gainesville. During Year #2, it looked like Muschamp had turned the corner with an 11-2 Season and a trip to the Sugar Bowl. Muschamp went 10-13 the next two seasons after that. Just because Pruitt has been good on D doesn’t mean he can magically fix the offense.

Best case scenario: Dabo Swinney. The assistant that takes over a major program, struggles for a few seasons, before turning it into a superpower. Unfortunately, there have been very few Dabo Swinneys in college football history. There are some very promising things about Pruitt, though, so this isn’t far-fetched either. I do think Pruitt will be smarter than Muschamp and that Pruitt’s track record suggests he might be a better guy to run an organization.

Staff hires. One of my concerns on Pruitt is that virtually every person on this staff is getting a promotion from a previous position. Tyson Helton is a QB coach at USC, who will likely be our OC. Kevin Sherrer is an LB coach at Georgia who will be our DC. These “promotion” type hires are the least likely to work out; which isn’t to say they couldn’t work. But you can see our recent history is littered with failures of this type: Sal Sunseri and Larry Scott both fit into this bucket. Whereas, our more successful coordinators have had experience at their position before (Chaney, Wilcox).

Reasons for optimism on staff. While I would rather get a proven OC like Tee Martin, I like that we’re getting a guy familiar with the USC offense in Tyson Helton. I think the USC style offense (also similar to Kiffin’s offense) is a good fit for the University of Tennessee. While I can complain that Pruitt is mostly “promoting” rather than getting proven guys, I will say that the guy’s he’s getting are generally regarded very highly. Helton is a great QB coach and will be a major upgrade over Butch Jones era QB coaches. Will Friend looks like a good hire for O-line. I’d be happy to see Chris Weinke on staff. Tracy Rocker was highly regarded at Georgia. Kevin Sherrer is also highly regarded at Georgia. So I at least view these “promotion” type hires to be more likely to succeed than Butch Jones’ “promotion hires” last season which had huge question marks. Still, it’s a “wait and see” thing for me.

Pruitt is a better hire than Kiffin ’08, Dooley, or Butch.
I was not a fan of our last three hires; and I don’t simply mean in hindsight. I thought Kiffin and Dooley were both poor hires when they happened. I thought Butch was an OK, but not great hire. Pruitt is the best of the bunch, but still far from “1st tier.” Let’s hope he fares better than the last three.

Pruitt understands the Saban-system. I do think Pruitt understands the Saban “system” better than almost anyone else outside of Kirby Smart and that’s a plus. He’s making some interesting moves that seem to mimic or expand upon things Saban has been doing to get an edge.

Great recruiters. Pruitt is bringing in some great recruiters. That’s good, but I guess you can say I’m less impressed by this than I might have been a few seasons ago. Butch brought in great recruiters that couldn’t coach. I’m hoping Pruitt brings in great recruiters who can also coach well.

Aight! Pruitt wasn’t my first choice, but I’m behind him 100% right now.

Next season

The SEC just got tougher. Florida just got a major upgrade with Dan Mullen. Arkansas and Texas A&M also likely got upgrades with Chad Morris and Jimbo Fisher, respectively. This conference is a Murderer’s Row that can eat up even very good coaches. Kevin Sumlin was a very good coach that failed at A&M. Even if Pruitt is very good, to succeed in this league, you have to be great right now. It’s a very difficult standard. Hopefully, he at least gets us beating Vandy, Kentucky, Mizzou, and SC again. If you can’t do that consistently, you stand no shot at Bama, Florida, and Georgia.

Don’t expect miracles.
Our development on offense is so far behind the curve at this point, it’s unfair to expect it to suddenly turn elite in a single season. I think its Years 2 and 3 that will be critical for Pruitt. We have the talent, but it’s been undercoached for so long, that I don’t think we’re going to see the offense magically click simply because we have a new coach. No one wants to hear it, but if Pruitt makes it to 6-6 and gets us to a bowl game in ’18, be happy. Save your great expectations for ’19 and ’20.

The good news. When Butch was hired, it wasn't realistic to expect great results until at least Year 3 or Year 4. Butch inherited a trainwreck. Pruitt is inheriting a much better situation talent and depth-wise. If Pruitt is good, I think we can start seeing improved results in Year 2.

Hybrid defense. Pruitt ran the 3-4 defense at Bama and Georgia. He ran the 4-3 Multiple defense at Florida State. Pruitt has stated he wants to get the best players on the field and scheme around that, which probably means we have a look more similar to his time at Florida State next season. We probably don't have the personnel to run the 3-4 right now, but don't be surprised if we see a slow evolution towards it.

Refreshing ability to adapt. I don't put much stock into things said in the introductory press conference, but I will say the one thing I liked hearing is that Pruitt will scheme around his own player's strengths and weaknesses. After years of having Butch Jones trying to fit square pegs into round holes, that's refreshing. Butch Jones was one of the least adaptive coaches I can ever recall seeing.

Recruiting class. Obviously, it would be nice to finish strong, but realistically, we know that any year with a coaching change is going to be a weaker class. If we can finish with a top 20 class, I’d say be pretty happy. But it’s the 2019 class that’s really going to show how this staff can recruit.

GBO!

Last edited:
Reactions: 49 people
giphy.gif

Great points as always Hoss

Reactions: 15 people
I am excited about the possibilities of this hire. I was all in on Tee, but I think Pruitt can be a good HC, especially if he allows his offensive coordinators to do their job.

Reactions: 3 people
Great post. Lots to unpack in it.

Appreciate, for starters, the words on Schiano. We dodged a self imposed death penalty with that. It still seems surreal.

Reactions: 2 people
nice post Didgeridoo...:thumbsup:...now, the problem is patience...plenty of it may be needed...for Coach Pruitt and staff...I'm all in...hell or high water to the bitter end...:):):):)

GO VOLS!

Don’t judge the hire based on “the list.” Pete Carroll was USC’s 4th or 5th choice and was considered a poor hire. The Clemson search that resulted in Dabo Swinney getting hired was considered a complete failure. Bama had RichRod at the altar in ’06, before he backed out at the last minute, and they had to settle for Nick Saban. Meanwhile, Jim Mora at UCLA and Kevin Sumlin at A&M were considered 1st choice home run hires. The success of our coach is not dependent upon how many people rejected us first. Some of the sports websites are giving our hire an “F” because “the process”, but it’s not exactly like we’re the first school to have a “disastrous coaching search” before and some of those “disastrous searches” yielded people like Dabo Swinney, Pete Carroll, and Nick Saban. In fact, it almost seems like the trainwreck searches have resulted in better candidates --- this may be because the “smooth searches” can yield guys like Greg Schiano. Or Herm Edwards out in Arizona State (good guy, but that was a terrible hire.)

Great assessment! People forget how ugly the Bama search was that yielded Saban. I remember a buddy of mine laughing and saying “Fine Fine... if no one wants the Bama job I’ll do it.”). Altgough the end result was much higher profile coach the process was embarrassing for them. And to fair to TN there was no NC winning coach looking to come back to college from the NFL.

The only reason our search looked worse is because our AD tried to serve us hot garbage and we revolted. The only outcome after that was an AD on the hot seat and no coach wanted to jump into that frying pan with him.

On the matter of recruiting...morning news that Fulmer will be personally involved is welcome. The kids probably do not know who he is, but their parents will.

And knowing that Grandpa is keeping an eye on things is a positive selling point. I think that even some of the problems he had with bad behavior by his players (Fulmer Cup) can be turned positive. We all learn from our mistakes

Last edited:
Can we hold off on the haslam decline until the next search comes around?

Like I said before I expect Pruitt to be fine and do well. That said if it goes bad Haslam will say told you so and flex his muscle.

On the matter of recruiting...morning news that Fulmer will be personally involved is welcome. The kids probably do not know who he is, but their parents will.

And knowing that Grandpa is keeping an eye on things is a positive selling point. I think that even some of the problems he may had with bad behavior by his players (Fulmer Cup) can be turned positive. We all learn from our mistakes

Fulmer will be a huge help when it comes to closing the deal especially on OL. This is all good things

Originally posted in the Neyland thread, but figured I'd cross post it here.

Concerning the Helton hire. I wonder if perhaps Tee turned us down since he's likely in line for a HC gig at some point in the next little bit, but recommended Helton to Fulmer/Pruitt. I really don't think Tee would ever turn his back on us completely and you have to think he and Fulmer are still tight. "I'm honored, but I would rather wait for a head coach gig. But I have this guy on staff that's sharp..."

I like to think Tee still has us in his heart and wouldn't want to see the Vols fail. And I can't make any link with Pruitt and Helton, so it might stand to reason he'd take the advice of Fulmer if Tee planted the bug in his ear.

My conspiracy theory for the day.

Reactions: 5 people
Sorry, but this really bugs me!
From UT Sports
On the process of appointing his staff:
"We are going to take our time. We are going to choose the right guys who are the right fit. We're not going to talk about any names, but that is what we are going to do."

The following day we have an offensive and defensive coordinator.

From UT Sports
"We are going to take our time. We are going to choose the right guys who are the right fit. We're not going to talk about any names, but that is what we are going to do."

Perfectly reasonable explanation for that. He likely already had a staff in mind when he inked the deal, but knew, as deals go, it could always go sideways. He also allowed his new hires the opportunity to go to their respective teams and coaches to inform them of the move and/or give them a chance to back out if needed.

It's kind of bad form for him to stand at the podium and say "I'm raiding your staff and your staff and I'm stealing this guy as well!" on his first day. That PC was all about him and he needed the moment to be his chance to capture the fan base.

Reactions: 5 people
Originally posted in the Neyland thread, but figured I'd cross post it here.

Concerning the Helton hire. I wonder if perhaps Tee turned us down since he's likely in line for a HC gig at some point in the next little bit, but recommended Helton to Fulmer/Pruitt. I really don't think Tee would ever turn his back on us completely and you have to think he and Fulmer are still tight. "I'm honored, but I would rather wait for a head coach gig. But I have this guy on staff that's sharp..."

I like to think Tee still has us in his heart and wouldn't want to see the Vols fail. And I can't make any link with Pruitt and Helton, so it might stand to reason he'd take the advice of Fulmer if Tee planted the bug in his ear.

I had the exact same thought. No reason for Tee to leave USC for anything other than Head Coach job. Pruitt and Fulmer likely reached out to him. He recommended Helton. It's clear that unlike Currie / Haslam, Fulmer did in fact speak with Tee Martin, so not that far-fetched.

Reactions: 4 people
From UT Sports

That’s evidently Pruitt’s idea of taking his time. Waiting until the 2nd day on the job. I think he’s had a notebook with names for this opportunity

Edit: what GV said

The craziest coaching search in college football history is over. Here are my thoughts on it all.

Mike Leach. I’m not down on the Pruitt hire, but I do feel like we missed a golden opportunity to hire Leach. Leach has succeeded with less talent consistently. He’s 9-3 this season at Washington State. Wash State is arguably the toughest (or 2nd toughest behind Oregon State) program to win at in the Pac-12. Remember, the only season where Mike Leach arguably had top 30 talent, he went 11-2 at Texas Tech with Michael Crabtree. With the resources of a place like Tennessee, I think Leach could’ve competed for a national title within 3-8 years. We made a reasonable hire in Pruitt, but we also missed a golden opportunity. Let’s hope we don’t regret it.

I'll speak from my ignorance (do not follow west coast ball much), but is there any strong indication that Leach's offense works against the SEC? A major rap on Butch was that his did not.

Reactions: 1 person
The search

The fan revolt was a success. We won’t know if the Pruitt hire will be a success till several years down the road, but one thing is clear: this was a better hire than Greg Schiano. I firmly believe that Schiano would’ve set the program back decades; as in, we could’ve seen 30,000 empty seats in Neyland in “Year 1” for a new coach. We would’ve been the laughing stock of college football for years. I’d rather take one week of negative publicity than 3+ years of a trainwreck hire. Schiano was a disaster at Tampa; an abusive autocrat who alienated anyone and everyone around him. He couldn’t land a single college or NFL job for two years because he was so toxic. While he improved Rutgers, the media often overstates this; Schiano improved recruiting, but never made Rutgers elite; he took them from a cellar-dwellar to middle-of-the-road program. While many fans latched onto the Sandusky scandal, that was far from the only reason to question his integrity, and it’s his time in Tampa that makes people less likely to believe him on Sandusky. The media may have demonized us, but we were 100% in the right; Schiano would’ve been one of the worst hires in college football history.

GBO!

I think as a fan base that we know what a good football program looks like and what we have lived through has just been gut wrenching to endure. Plus, it's not just been football but our entire athletic program and toss in things like offices of diversity debacles, frat incidents of national exposure and the school administrators no where to be found to answer to any of it.

Collectively, we had just had enough and the Schiano debacle pushed us over the edge where we finally said enough.

I'll speak from my ignorance (do not follow west coast ball much), but is there any strong indication that Leach's offense works against the SEC? A major rap on Butch was that his did not.

Huge difference between Butch and Leach. Leach's offense has succeeded in the Pac-12 and Big-12 against strong competition. Butch's offense succeeded in the Big East against mostly easier opponents. Bigger point, however, is that Mike Leach is an offensive innovator who has constantly adapted (and has proven to be one of the best in the country at this) whereas Butch took a scheme and mindlessly implemented without adapting to changing defenses.

Could Leach's offense work in the SEC? Guess we'll never know, but I think it would've. Indeed, I think Leach is absolutely the best guy out there to counter the Bama / Georgia style 3-4 defenses that are en vogue now. He's never really had top 10 or even top 25 talent to run his offense. Leach has had recruiting classes in the #30 - 60 range at Wash State and maybe the #25 - #50 range at Texas Tech. I think with even top 15 classes, Leach could tear apart top defenses. With Tennessee's resources, I also think Leach could find a top notch DC.

It was fun for a day or so reading Florida Gator message boards when they thought we were going to hire Leach. Never seen Gator fans terrified of a potential UT coach until that.

Love the post as always DG. But I submit that Helton is actually an experienced OC. He held the position at western Kentucky if I'm not mistaken. While it may have been short lived, and he was only passing game coordinator and QB coach at USC, I actually feel optimistic about him based on his time under Brohm.

Huge difference between Butch and Leach. Leach's offense has succeeded in the Pac-12 and Big-12 against strong competition. Butch's offense succeeded in the Big East against mostly easier opponents. Bigger point, however, is that Mike Leach is an offensive innovator who has constantly adapted (and has proven to be one of the best in the country at this) whereas Butch took a scheme and mindlessly implemented without adapting to changing defenses.

Could Leach's offense work in the SEC? Guess we'll never know, but I think it would've. Indeed, I think Leach is absolutely the best guy out there to counter the Bama / Georgia style 3-4 defenses that are en vogue now. He's never really had top 10 or even top 25 talent to run his offense. Leach has had recruiting classes in the #30 - 60 range at Wash State and maybe the #25 - #50 range at Texas Tech. I think with even top 15 classes, Leach could tear apart top defenses. With Tennessee's resources, I also think Leach could find a top notch DC.

It was fun for a day or so reading Florida Gator message boards when they thought we were going to hire Leach. Never seen Gator fans terrified of a potential UT coach until that.

First I am not arguing with you...

You and others over the last few days have referred the Leach's recruiting classes as being 20's to 50's class or maybe higher.

Now I know where a school is located could have something to do with this. But if Leach is that good, seems to me he would attract higher rated kids. It has always seemed to me these young guys want to play for a winner. I just wonder what might be the problem.

Agree with just about everything in this post. I too would love to see, before he retires, Mike Leach get a shot at a program where he could pull some big time players, just to settle the question of whether his offense is limited by its scheme or its personnel. I'm very happy with the Pruitt hire and agree that Schiano was a mind-bogglingly bad choice, but I think Leach might have had the most immediate success at Tennessee. I think we have some decent WR's and Dormady may have thrived in the Air Raid. It also maximizes our poor OL, which is closer in talent level to what Leach is used to getting in places like Pullman and Lubbock (with the exception of Trey Smith).

VN Store

Back