The key to Pruitt

awaitingawin

being a successful head coach at Tennessee will be his and his coaches ability to be able to put all the pieces of a complete team on both sides of the ball on the field....

In years past we knew what we wanted to do and tried to recruit to meet our objective...

We recruited defensive lineman and if they did not appear to fit then Tennessee had great success in moving them to the offensive line

We even recruited running backs for linebackers....

1st thing is recruit football players and not ambassadors as Jones called them

Its amazing that fans and media could spot the real talent that was on the field or on the sidelines before the coaches were able to....something appeared to be so wrong and it showed....

Reactions: 2 people
Its amazing that fans and media could spot the real talent that was on the field or on the sidelines before the coaches were able to....something appeared to be so wrong and it showed....

Jones wanted the players to do community service and pick up trash

Pruitt will recruit well and he will recruit to fit his system. At times I thought Jones was more of a star chaser than a great evaluator of talent for his system. You may wonder why he is pursuing a 3 star player over a high 4 star in the future but it's because he's looking for kids to fill the roles he wants them to play. I don't think recruiting and talent evaluation is going to be much of a problem for UT as long as Pruitt is in Knoxville.

Reactions: 5 people

Totally agree, may the best man play under CJP

being a successful head coach at Tennessee will be his and his coaches ability to be able to put all the pieces of a complete team on both sides of the ball on the field....

In years past we knew what we wanted to do and tried to recruit to meet our objective...

We recruited defensive lineman and if they did not appear to fit then Tennessee had great success in moving them to the offensive line

a6hN8NH.gif

you read it correctly...so there is a little info of past recruiting if you were not aware of it

If someone who had been recruited for defense wasnt seeming to work out they may turn out to be excellent O line man....
Running backs made fast linebackers

The key to any team is the O line. if you have a boss O line, you control field position, time of possession, speed of the game. Everything!!! A great O line will make the QB, RB's and WR look great. Also, since they can plow everyone, you don't really need good kicker or punter. Take a break boys. The defense is so happy.

If you don't have an Oline. You then need a great kicker, punter, defense, QB, RB and receiver. And better be ready to coach your butt off, cause you aint controlling nuffin.

Reactions: 4 people
The key to any team is the O line. if you have a boss O line, you control field position, time of possession, speed of the game. Everything!!! A great O line will make the QB, RB's and WR look great. Also, since they can plow everyone, you don't really need good kicker or punter. Take a break boys. The defense is so happy.

If you don't have an Oline. You then need a great kicker, punter, defense, QB, RB and receiver. And better be ready to coach your butt off, cause you aint controlling nuffin.
Gave you a like. Wish I could do two.

The key to Pruitt's success is going to be Fulmer. Is Fulmer going to be able to keep providing Pruitt with the resources (money) to hire and keep top notch assistants? I am not defending Jones, but I hear that he was dealt a cheap hand for assistants and that was behind the OC elevation of Larry Scott rather than getting Helfrich.

The key is always recruiting, then developing that talent, and not sucking on the sidelines on Saturdays..

Need consistent top 10 classes that fill needs and fits your system. Can't fall off in years 3 and 4. Need to also keep the classes intact, something Jones couldn't do..

The key to Pruitt's success is going to be Fulmer. Is Fulmer going to be able to keep providing Pruitt with the resources (money) to hire and keep top notch assistants? I am not defending Jones, but I hear that he was dealt a cheap hand for assistants and that was behind the OC elevation of Larry Scott rather than getting Helfrich.

I supported Butch, but if he truly wanted a better OC, he could have taken a pay cut himself.

Pruitt will recruit well and he will recruit to fit his system. At times I thought Jones was more of a star chaser than a great evaluator of talent for his system. You may wonder why he is pursuing a 3 star player over a high 4 star in the future but it's because he's looking for kids to fill the roles he wants them to play. I don't think recruiting and talent evaluation is going to be much of a problem for UT as long as Pruitt is in Knoxville.

My god!!

Stop making excuses for this staff.

Did he chase 3starsnti fit his system at Bama or FSU?

Yeah, I didn't think so.

If he's recruiting 3 stars it means he's not able to get the best ones to fit his "system". Which is damned laughable that he needs slower smaller guys to fit his "system"

Geeze, let these guys success or fail on their own. But stop carrying water for them befriend they've had a chance to perform.

My god!!

Stop making excuses for this staff.

Did he chase 3starsnti fit his system at Bama or FSU?

Yeah, I didn't think so.

If he's recruiting 3 stars it means he's not able to get the best ones to fit his "system". Which is damned laughable that he needs slower smaller guys to fit his "system"

Geeze, let these guys success or fail on their own. But stop carrying water for them befriend they've had a chance to perform.

When JP arrived in Athens he had 4 4 stars and 1 5 star playing in the defensive backfield. When he left 2 yrs later he had 1 4 star, 3 3 stars and a former walk on in the backfield and the lesser star group was a better unit.

I'm not saying JP won't recruit well and he will pull some studs but he'll also trust his evaluations more than any recruiting service. I can promise you he is going to look for length on his defense and if he thinks a 6'1" 3 star CB fits better than a 5'9" 4 star, he's taking the 3 star.

In today's world, high school players specialize so much more. You use to recruit athletes and then place them in positions. High school QB's were the most recruited for specialty positions because they were usually the most athletic players on the team. Defensive linemen were recruited because they were usually more athletic than offensive linemen. linebackers were recruited and many would put on weight with eating better and weightlifting and become DE's or DL's.

Maybe the most logical football post I've seen on this site. Games are won and lost in the trenches, period, dot. It's why I pretty much hate fantasy football. All the guys that actually are responsible for people gaining yards and scoring td's aren't even given a passing nod.

The flip side of that is this though, a couple of future NFL Defensive Tackles can make even a great Olime falter in the college game. They can make LBers who are average looking all conference and running backs who are successful not so successful.

You can have talent on an Oline but if they don't work together as one seamless unit they can still struggle. However two fantastic DT's can wreak havoc on an offense even if their supporting cast on defense is average.

So I'm of the opinion coaches should sell their souls for monster DTs and Dline coaches.

VN Store

Back