Tyler Byrd moving to Defense??

He could be end up being fantastic as a CB. Has the size a speed to match up with anyone. Helps our depleted DB depth, but now our offense only has Callaway and Johnson as WRs with significant experience, unless Jennings gets reinstated.

Reactions: 5 people
This is a fantastic move...but we need to possibly reinstate Jennings and sign four WRs with at least two studs that are ready to come in and contribute...

Murphy-Williams
Johnson-Jones
Calloway-Palmer

Unless I’m missing something that’s all we’ve got at this point

Byrd definitely will fit better on the defensive side. Being a WR for a short time might even help him in the long-run (see Richard Sherman). That said, our depth at WR is ugly. One of the positions we desperately need to recruit hard right now.

Reactions: 4 people
Byrd definitely will fit better on the defensive side. Being a WR for a short time might even help him in the long-run (see Richard Sherman). That said, our depth at WR is ugly. One of the positions we desperately need to recruit hard right now.

Chandler can play the slot when Kelly's at RB, and vice-versa. Problem solved!

Reactions: 3 people
Chandler can play the slot when Kelly's at RB, and vice-versa. Problem solved!

True.

As long as sloppy routes and wrong routes are tolerated by this staff.

Some of you seem to think that there is no learning curve to these positions or that you can pick up what you need in a couple of practices.

Recruiting 4 and 5 star receivers with a work ethic is what it will take to fix the issues at WR. Well, that and getting someone who can actually coach them up and an OC that isn't as lost as ball in high weeds

Reactions: 1 person
This is a fantastic move...but we need to possibly reinstate Jennings and sign four WRs with at least two studs that are ready to come in and contribute...

Murphy-Williams
Johnson-Jones
Calloway-Palmer

Unless I’m missing something that’s all we’ve got at this point

Thought I heard Princeton Fant was playing well in practice last year (which of course means there was no way butch was putting him on the field)... but who knows... you’re very right though definitely need some depth at WR which is why I believe Pruitt has reached out to Taylor & has Fair & Gillespie out talkin’ to Copeland... no doubt more to follow in the coming days.

Last edited:
I mean how many downs played did Moseley and Martin have these last 3-4 years? I think they had a combined 3 interceptions and gave up countless big plays.

Some of it was coaching, but they simply were not talented at reading routes or making plays on the football.

Wiggins was an improvement over Martin when he played, but there was too much hype on him last year, too.

Why not let him play some of both? I can see him being a lock down corner primarily, but let the young man run routes on obvious passing downs. Other schools and kids do it, don't understand why Byrd cannot.

Thought I heard Princeton Fant was playing well in practice last year (which of course means there was no way butch was putting him on the field)... but who knows... you’re very right though definitely need some depth at WR which is why I believe Pruitt has reached out to Taylor & has Fair & Gillespie out talkin’ to Copeland... no doubt more to follow in the coming days.

Think Fant moved to TE, at one point he was pushing 230

Why not let him play some of both? I can see him being a lock down corner primarily, but let the young man run routes on obvious passing downs. Other schools and kids do it, don't understand why Byrd cannot.

You can do that if you have the depth. But we're pretty thin currently at both CB and WR.

Best DB on the team and he is playing receiver. SMDH

If I've said it once.....

Roster management. Butch was horrible. Moved Byrd to WR before he even got on campus because he had bungled his recruiting position needs so poorly. Signed a bunch of marginal slot players who washed out and never saw the field.

If I've said it once.....

Roster management. Butch was horrible. Moved Byrd to WR before he even got on campus because he had bungled his recruiting position needs so poorly. Signed a bunch of marginal slot players who washed out and never saw the field.

He had JJ Watt at TE

VN Store

Back