Reflecting on Past Coaching Searches

Glocker_Alum_2005

So with us completing another coaching search, I thought it might be interesting to go back and play the what if game starting with Fulmer's firing in 2008.

So after Fulmer was fired some names mentioned as alternatives to Hammy's boy, Kiffin, were Petersen, Skip Holtz, Turner Gill. Thoughts on these...others mentioned?

The when Kiffin flew to he coup, some Boosters wanted Phil to come back, I also read Cutcliff would have taken the job, but Hanny screwed us again.

Lastly, when we hired Butch we were turned down Gundy, and left standing at the alter by Strong. I remember Fedora and the 49ers OC mentioned. Was Patterson in play then?

So with us completing another coaching search, I thought it might be interesting to go back and play the what if game starting with Fulmer's firing in 2008.

So after Fulmer was fired some names mentioned as alternatives to Hammy's boy, Kiffin, were Petersen, Skip Holtz, Turner Gill. Thoughts on these...others mentioned?

The when Kiffin flew to he coup, some Boosters wanted Phil to come back, I also read Cutcliff would have taken the job, but Hanny screwed us again.

Lastly, when we hired Butch we were turned down Gundy, and left standing at the alter by Strong. I remember Fedora and the 49ers OC mentioned. Was Patterson in play then?

Also when Kiffin left, we had Kippy Brown on staff and he was told he would receive serious consideration for the job. He did not receive his interview until the Saturday morning after Hamilton and Big Jim had offered Dooley.:loco:

Wasn't there some story or rumor that Patterson thought he had the job before Kiffin got it? Kinda funny/sad to think that one of the smaller names at the time would've been the best hire we could've made.

Reactions: 2 people
Wasn't there some story or rumor that Patterson thought he had the job before Kiffin got it? Kinda funny/sad to think that one of the smaller names at the time would've been the best hire we could've made.

Yeah, Patterson said he knew when Hanny was interviewing him, it was clear he was going with another candidate. A shame.

Patterson wanted the job when Fulmer was fired. The last decade would have looked much different if Hammy had hired him.

I know there are some die hard Twitter fans of Kiffin around but that was a bizarre hire - totally bizarre. Sexton had to sell Hammy on the package with Monte, etc. but it really made no sense. If Gary Patterson was passed over for Lane Kiffin - if indeed that is true - it is beyond comprehension. Hamilton sure was played for a fool by Kiffin a few months later and if I recall correctly UT paid Monte a $1 million "retention bonus" as he was heading out of town Totally insane. Then Hamilton leaves and has a big payout for himself. When you think about the saga since 2008, the vols were raped and left for dead by Mike Hamilton.

I think the major difference in this and the last coaching search is the staff being drawn in. Jones said he'd get "the best staff in America" and proceeded to bring along his staff from Cincy.

Pruitt is raiding some pretty high profile programs for younger talent that's recognized as being up and comers in the business. He's not looking at the MAC level for his guys.

While I wouldn't mind a bit more Orange on the staff, I think there is a huge upside with what we've gotten so far.

Reactions: 1 person
I think the major difference in this and the last coaching search is the staff being drawn in. Jones said he'd get "the best staff in America" and proceeded to bring along his staff from Cincy.

Pruitt is raiding some pretty high profile programs for younger talent that's recognized as being up and comers in the business. He's not looking at the MAC level for his guys.

While I wouldn't mind a bit more Orange on the staff, I think there is a huge upside with what we've gotten so far.

I hope you're right but I'm thinking by mid October there will be a bunch of grumbling on this board about this elite staff. And won't be surprised if by the following Octobrer we have our first Fahr Pruitt post.

actually believe we fell into the ****house and came out smelling like a bunch of roses...IMHO, of course...:)

GO VOLS!

I hope you're right but I'm thinking by mid October there will be a bunch of grumbling on this board about this elite staff. And won't be surprised if by the following Octobrer we have our first Fahr Pruitt post.

I never said elite. I said "young up and comers" in the business. And UGA, Bama, USCw and possibly Florida and USCe aren't exactly small time programs to be looking for staff from. But he is bringing in (mostly) SEC experience in a league that chews up outsiders that aren't prepared.

These are hungry folks looking to make a mark at the big time levels. That's what I like about them. There will be some growing pains, no doubt, and some are already questioning Pruitt's loyalty and capability. However, he'll get his chance to prove them wrong.

Reactions: 1 person

That's as dependable as the sun rising in the east. This is VN. It's message board. It's the way it's done. Not everyone will be happy. Just the way it is.

VN Store

Back