Fulmer Effect

Roustabout

I was pretty critical of Fulmer during his last years as UT head ball coach. In these last few days, I have seen a man who is truly in his element when it comes to being AD. I just watched him interviewed during the UT-Lipscomb game and his enthusiasm and message of "One Tennessee" has me excited and believing.

In hindsight, I believe much of Fulmer's problem, and even the problems over the last 10 years, was because we've had division and disorder in the UTAD, and higher. I think Fulmer is charged up to unite this university and have everyone pushing and pulling in the same direction.

He was very candid about seeing the university at its best and worst and I think it is beyond time we owned this and tackled it head on.

I for one am glad to have coach Fulmer leading this university and can't wait to see the results.

Reactions: 56 people
Yeah, Phillip Fulmer is truly an inspirational coach and one helluva leader. He made one significant mistake in his professional life: getting complacent after the national championship. Everything else he's done, he has done for us, for the university, and has excelled.

Great man. Not quite Neyland, but our second-best ever.

Reactions: 20 people
Agreed. I have always liked Fulmer. Of course, he was my childhood coach. I'm glad he is back at the Vols and I can't wait till next season.

Reactions: 8 people
I know some think Fulmer is going to meddle with the football team but I don’t think he would have targeted a guy like Pruitt if that was his intention. From all accounts it sounds like Pruitt’s plan to build a staff and recruiting vision is what sold Fulmer.

I’m hopeful that Fulmer is going to give every resource Pruitt needs to be successful.

Reactions: 8 people
I was pretty critical of Fulmer during his last years as UT head ball coach. In these last few days, I have seen a man who is truly in his element when it comes to being AD. I just watched him interviewed during the UT-Lipscomb game and his enthusiasm and message of "One Tennessee" has me excited and believing.

In hindsight, I believe much of Fulmer's problem, and even the problems over the last 10 years, was because we've had division and disorder in the UTAD, and higher. I think Fulmer is charged up to unite this university and have everyone pushing and pulling in the same direction.

He was very candid about seeing the university at its best and worst and I think it is beyond time we owned this and tackled it head on.

I for one am glad to have coach Fulmer leading this university and can't wait to see the results.

I haven't seen you this positive, ever

Reactions: 4 people
Times a changing, once Fulmer was reviled and Peyton was loved on VN. And lately...........

Reactions: 2 people
I know some think Fulmer is going to meddle with the football team but I don’t think he would have targeted a guy like Pruitt if that was his intention. From all accounts it sounds like Pruitt’s plan to build a staff and recruiting vision is what sold Fulmer.

I’m hopeful that Fulmer is going to give every resource Pruitt needs to be successful.

Fulmer is a talker.
Pruitt is not.
Pruitt doesn’t seem to care who gets credit.
His joy comes from building winners.
Pruitt and Fulmer will be fine working together.

Times a changing, once Fulmer was reviled and Peyton was loved on VN. And lately...........

Nope, that's not right when it comes to Fulmer.

Sure, Peyton has always been loved, and still is despite his rep taking a hit with this recent Haslam interference.

But Fulmer has always been respected by at least half the folks here. Sure, some detractors, and vocal at it, but more who respect him I think.

At least, in the almost three years I've been here.

The story that Phil got complacent is not exactly correct in my opinion. Look at Jimbo - after winning a NC there is nowhere to go but down. It is very hard to stay on top particularly in one of the talent poor states in the SEC. Cutcliffe was irreplaceable as was Mark Richt to Bobby Bowden. Sometimes top rated guys do not pan out. Jabari Davis was rated about the same as Jamal Lewis - a slight difference. They struck out on a lot of top quarterbacks also. Spurrier said ten years is about all a coach can do at one school. Phil stayed 17 and if he had left after 10 or 11 he would have been a hero for sure but oddly after staying possibly too long in the job he loved, he was forced out when the offense fell apart.

Anyway I too am glad Phil is back from exile and he can do much to restore pride in the Orange. Pruitt is a ball of fire and it will be interesting to see what he and his new staff can do.

Reactions: 10 people
I was at the basketball game today and the standing ovation CPF got when he walked onto the court was electric. He had to get the crowd to stop clapping.

Reactions: 16 people
Fulmer is a talker.
Pruitt is not.
Pruitt doesn’t seem to care who gets credit.
His joy comes from building winners.
Pruitt and Fulmer will be fine working together.

I am just happy that Fulmer hired us a good football coach. And Vol Nation stood up and didn't let Currie hire that idiot in Ohio. :rock::good!:

Reactions: 14 people
I am not so sure Fulmer got complacent. He did start making some poor selections of recruits, and once Cut left the second time, he became enamored with Clawson's offense. Had the recruiting brought in better players, and they been better at studying the plays, the Clawfense might have worked.

If he has everyone thinking he did well, good for him. Guess we will see if this lasts soon enough.

Read a comment from Pruitt's father earlier. Said "Fulmer did everything 1st class. He had a vision and a plan. That other guy, the one before, he was all over the place."

Reactions: 13 people
Read a comment from Pruitt's father earlier. Said "Fulmer did everything 1st class. He had a vision and a plan. That other guy, the one before, he was all over the place."

... All over the place in more ways than one. Notice that Currie was flying everywhere to meet people? Fulmer was in NYC, calling prospective coaches and having the top ones meet him there. That allowed him to do his job without being swarmed by every UT fan and Tennessee rag reporter and photographer. He was very shrewd and it worked like a charm... and saved him hours of travel time! I do believe UT sports, and UT football in particular, are in good hands with Fulmer and Pruitt.

:popcorn:

Last edited:
Reactions: 11 people
Wasn’t convinced he’d be an effective AD. Felt there was a lot of responsibilities he’d have to learn on the job. So far I’ve been way wrong and couldn’t be happier.

Reactions: 6 people
Nice to have a coach with a southern accent...like me!
:)

Yeah buddy, Coach Pruitt both talks the talk and walks the walk. He certainly has his work cut out for him but is off and running and those who can't cut it and can't handle the heat will not be long in the kitchen. He and Fulmer - the Dynamic Duo to restore Vols Football to greatness!

VN Store

Back