Austin Thomas

UTLEGEND

Lots of chatter on VQ about Thomas joining this staff. Some people are saying It could be announced Tuesday. This will be a HUGE hire

Reactions: 6 people
Lots of chatter on VQ about Thomas joining this staff. Some people are saying It could be announced Tuesday. This will be a HUGE hire

What is his role at LSU again? I know it is essentially a GM type position. I am just wondering how he would fit in since Pruitt has already hired a guy from Troy U to be Director of Football Operations.

He is very important at LSU for his operation of the program and recruiting prowess. He has been very influential in getting some elite recruits to LSU.

Reactions: 3 people
Care to expound a bit?

A native of Franklin, Tenn., Thomas was the primary recruiter for LSU on Stevens and he was also the primary on another Nashville prospect, four-star linebacker Jacob Phillips. Those two players, both the top-ranked at their position according to the 247Sports Composite, helped Thomas hit 11th in the country in the 247Sports Recruiter Rankings for the 2017 cycle.

Because of the transition in the coaching staff, Thomas was granted the ability to hit the road last winter as an assistant coach for LSU — so in addition to coordinating the travel plans of the LSU staff, Thomas made his own itinerary. That was bad news for opposing schools, particularly those recruiting Thomas’ home state of Tennessee.

LSU's 31-year-old GM Austin Thomas is changing the game

Reactions: 15 people
Lol right, I get LSU is a great school with history too, but the thing about Thomas is he was pulling in recruits outside of Louisiana. He also took a couple Tennessee boys from us.

Thomas is probably the second most important addition to this staff IMO

Reactions: 3 people
LSU recruits itself, same as Bama, FSU. GA, etc.

I don't necessarily agree with this. LSU, more than any other powerhouse (except Miami back in the day), does it with mostly guys from their own back yard. If they've got some staff that have been able to consistently recruit elite talent to LSU from outside the state, then I'd say that's not insignificant. It's tough to get kids from the outside, so to speak, to walk into that kind of tight knit culture.

It's unbelievable what CJP has been able to get done so far.

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back