Early Signing Day

SpaceCoastVol

Jacked up on moonshine and testosterone
In the presser, CJP seemed to not put much stock in it and indicated he felt it was unimportant. So what happens at UT? What happens in the rest of the SEC? How do we compare?

Early signing date is like leading the Indy 500 after 200 miles. It feels good but has little to do with the finish.

Reactions: 9 people
In the presser, CJP seemed to not put much stock in it and indicated he felt it was unimportant. So what happens at UT? What happens in the rest of the SEC? How do we compare?

My impression from the press conference was that he thinks recruiting is extremely important, but he's not going to panic over the early signing date. He seemed to think that bringing in the wrong player is as significant as not getting a player that you want. "Worry about the ones you get, not the ones you don't get." He wants to be sure he gets the right fit.

He also seems to think that there will be plenty of good players available after the early signing date. He said he would work on recruiting until the dead period before going back to coach for the playoffs. We've seen action on the recruiting front. He's on it.

Reactions: 7 people
Early signing date is like leading the Indy 500 after 200 miles. It feels good but has little to do with the finish.

You're trying to sugar coat what is a tough situation for Pruitt. He is fresh on the UT job while still preparing the Alabama defense for a playoff run, and the early signing date is 11 days away.

And the general consensus is a majority of high school players will sign in the early signing period. Like the guy above said your analogy misses the mark completely.

Reactions: 7 people
I get the feeling the only schools that get many big time signees early will be schools like OSU Bama and Clemson

The rest of us will have most of our best commits wait till February

Reactions: 1 person

What part of his presser are you referring to? I don't remember that at all, but I missed a little bit of the questions.

On recruiting for the early signing period coming up later this month:
"This early signing period is unprecedented, so everybody is trying to figure it out. There's a lot of different angles to it because you don't have to sign, you can sign, if you're a mid-year recruit you could go either way. I think it's important that once we get our staff together that number one, we identify who fits at the University of Tennessee. That's important. Then we've got to get in front of them and do the best job that we can do to convince them to come to the University of Tennessee.

"One thing that I've figured out in recruiting is you worry about the ones that you get, you don't worry about the ones you don't. That's the most important, so that's what we'll do. We'll target, we'll have critical factors at every position. For instance, at defensive back we're going to look for guys that have size, speed, they can play the ball in the deep part of the field, they can open their hips and tackle, they've got the ability to play man-to-man. Every position we'll have critical factors. The next thing you've got to go to is, what's their intangibles? Are they leaders? Are they dependable? Do they have any kind of issues? Because you've kind of got to go through that and make sure. So, I want to make sure in the next 10 days that we don't sign somebody that doesn't fit that. I'd rather wait and find a guy that we know for sure fits what we're looking for here. So, I'm going to tell you right now, don't get all out of whack at this early signing period if you look out there. I don't even know what we have got committed. We'll talk about it when we get here. I've been doing other things today, but we'll figure it out. Don't you worry, we'll figure it out. And again, worry about the ones we get, not the ones we don't."

Pruitt's comments on early signing day.

If Pruitt would've been hired from the start instead of 2 weeks before early signing period we would've been a lot better off imo. Can't hold that against him. I think Taylor recommits today.Mays is gone to Clemson.Hope I'm wrong.I still think we end up with a 15-20 ranked class.

I get the feeling the only schools that get many big time signees early will be schools like OSU Bama and Clemson

The rest of us will have most of our best commits wait till February

I think this is an accurate statement.

I don't think our class is going to be made or lost during the early signing period.

Also I don't think Pruitt having to prepare his defense at Alabubba for the playoffs is going to hurt us and may in fact help us if their defense really shows out during the playoffs.

Besides, Pruitt has put together some very good recruiters that should be able to more than make up for his absence.

You're trying to sugar coat what is a tough situation for Pruitt. He is fresh on the UT job while still preparing the Alabama defense for a playoff run, and the early signing date is 11 days away.

And the general consensus is a majority of high school players will sign in the early signing period. Like the guy above said your analogy misses the mark completely.
And there is a real obvious way for him to make that situation easier. But.. integrity and all that. I just wonder who we are going to lose out on.

now, I like Coach Pruitt and hope he works out for us, but he will blow smoke up your skirt also...:)

GO VOLS!

where do we get all these debbie downer fans from?

It took about a decade of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory to make many look for the dark cloud instead of the silver lining.

Botch Jones would be using the early date as an early excuse. Jeremy Pruitt seems to see it as a challenge that he wants to answer.

Reactions: 2 people
Coach Pruitt will have to evaluate each recruit to see if said recruit fits [is usable] in the style of offense and defense that will be run. I am certain that some of Butch's recruits will not fit [work] in Pruitt's system, and I am certain that some of Butch's recruits will not be mentally or physically tough enough for Pruitt. No need of wasting a scholarship on a recruit that will never play.

Coach Pruitt said in the press conference he had requirements for every position, so I don't expect a lot out of this early signing class. However, I do see much more intense recruiting happening with many more 4 and 5* recruits for the February signing class.

It has quite a bit to do with the finish. Once that LOI is sent in they are part of the class.

Exactly. And I’ve heard many project that fully 2/3 to 3/4 of your class will likely sign early. The early signing period is gonna prove to be critical to the success of your class imo.

A winner looks at a challenge as an opportunity. I've watched Taylor play. I believe his UT ties Will lead him to The Hill. I would have Trey and Cade on each other's speed dial. The existing players need to step it up and help recruit. If they want bowls and championships, they need to grease the skids for bigger, better, and faster players.

Exactly. And I’ve heard many project that fully 2/3 to 3/4 of your class will likely sign early. The early signing period is gonna prove to be critical to the success of your class imo.

i tend to think this way too. it sucks we're having to go thru this the first crack at it.

and we'll probably still sign the lion's share of this class in December too.

just won't have all the big names we thought it might.

but, there are still plenty of guys that will sign in February, and enroll for summer. not everyone will be able to be an EE....so we'll see how it goes.

i've got modest expectations for this initial class, but CJP has already shown in about 48 hours he's not scared to put it out there. and i won't be surprised if we get a guy, or two, that we may not have ever expected, even if we lose a guy or two we've had our hearts set on for a while.

Let's see:

a full Top 5-6 class was willing a few weeks ago, to come play under Butch Jones and Staff with John Currie as AD,

or

debating to now commit to a Revised Program with Coach Jeremy Pruitt (led 3 defenses to Nat'l Champions) and Staff under the Hall of Fame leadership of Phil Fulmer as AD.

Tick-Tock.

VN Store

Back