Canales vs Wienke

ThreatLevelOrange

Wish that I was on ol’ Rocky Top
These were two of the finalists for our QB job last year.

Wienke was an NFL Qb, a coach at of the best high school programs in the US, was an NFL Qb. He takes an analyst role with Alabama after we said no.

Canales is a journeyman assistant, mostly as Group of 5 schools. His last two stops before UT were N Texas and Utah St. And after “coaching” our 3 QBs last year, he lands at UTEP....the worst team in the country. But he got the UT job because Jones has known him for close to 20 years.

Pruitt is hiring an impressive staff. These guys won’t stay here long. But I’d be surprised if the players are not motivated and well coached.

Reactions: 13 people

Wienke was an NFL Qb, a coach at of the best high school programs in the US, was an NFL Qb. He takes an analyst role with Alabama after we said no.

Canales is a journeyman assistant, mostly as Group of 5 schools. His last two stops before UT were N Texas and Utah St. And after “coaching” our 3 QBs last year, he lands at UTEP....the worst team in the country. But he got the UT job because Jones has known him for close to 20 years.

Pruitt is hiring an impressive staff. These guys won’t stay here long. But I’d be surprised if the players are not motivated and well coached.

Thought Canales was a complete joke of a hire and he didn't prove me wrong this season.

I'm fine with assistants coming and going if they are moving on to better jobs. Means they are doing their jobs well here.

Reactions: 7 people

And don’t forget that Canales was coaching RUNNING BACKS in 2016 at Utah State. It was an awful hire then and many said so....and the results we saw last season bear that thought out.

Reactions: 1 person
One is a great coach and knows what he's doing the other is a horrible coach that sucks.

You decide which one is who

Canales had zero business coaching here. He needs to get out of coaching. Even if Weinke somehow isn’t a good coach (which I bet he will turn out to be good at some point) you take him for his connections alone. No brainer.

Lyle made more bad decisions than seems humanly possible. He had a 50% chance to get this one right and blew it.

Reactions: 2 people
It comes down to money. Coach Pruitt negotiated enough money to surround himself with quality recruiters and teachers! Simple and Brilliant.

Build a juggernaut staff, recruit quality young men, coach em up and win it all.
THEN, start cashing in on 7 million a year.

You think Butch wants a do-over?

Reactions: 4 people
Heisman winning National Championship winning NFL playing QB coach...or a guy who played at Utah State...

Hiring Larry Scott was an all time stupid

Supposedly the administration handicuffed him with the money they would allow. We looked at LSUs OC but didn't have the money to pull hm. Idk if I agree or not but our current staff is light years better on paper than the "greatest staff in America" of Butch.

Reactions: 3 people
Supposedly the administration handicuffed him with the money they would allow. We looked at LSUs OC but didn't have the money to pull hm. Idk if I agree or not but our current staff is light years better on paper than the "greatest staff in America" of Butch.

Maybe,, But hiring Scott made Jones Unemployed

Lyle made more bad decisions than seems humanly possible. He had a 50% chance to get this one right and blew it.

And, look at this example of just what he was pulling over on the fanbase/program // the $ and Time/facility/staff-support resources spent in just this ONE hire alone (10 guys interviewed, when he KNEW exactly who??!!):

"“Just so you know, I interviewed 10 quarterback coaches — five from the National Football League, five from college football," Jones said last week during Tennessee's National Signing Day celebration at Tennessee Theatre. "We made him come in twice on an interview. But I knew it at the beginning, that it would be him. But I wanted him to prove it to everyone, and bringing him in twice, and all of our staff was a part of it.""

Jones knew 'at the beginning' Canales was right fit for Vols 247sports link

Canales had zero business coaching here. He needs to get out of coaching. Even if Weinke somehow isn’t a good coach (which I bet he will turn out to be good at some point) you take him for his connections alone. No brainer.

The players ignored him completely coming off the field

upgrade...just the name alone will keep us in on QBs for recruiting purposes...:)

GO VOLS!

Larry Scott isn’t a bad coach. Hell he beat Cutcliffe at interim HC at Miami and won a bowl game. He was as the mercy of that micromanaging tyrant and his middle school offensive scheme

Exactly. Scott was well thought of. The play calling was better without coach scaredy cat handcuffing the offense.

Wasn't Chris Weinke a QB at FSU? I am thinking that he may have been the QB at FSU, when Tennessee played them in the NC game in 1998.

VN Store

Back