Of the 6 HC openings in the SEC...

BenGrimm

Formally known as burntorangeVOLffle
You can’t really argue TAM won with a NC winner in Jimbo.

Mullen to FL is right fit for them. He is going to be a pain in our rear.

Despite being new as HC I think Pruitt and the SEC staff he is putting together are a strong 3rd place. Considering the total chit show the search was you have to feel good about how it turned out. If not for Mullen’s 7ish years as a HC at Miss St I’m not so sure I wouldn’t bump Pruitt up to #2.

I would put Ark with Chad Morris at #4.

Moorehead at Miss St #5

And Ole Miss is just holding serve until the NCAA blows over at #6

Reactions: 3 people
I agree with the rankings, but with 1 and 2 head and shoulders above 3, 4, 5 and 6.

Pruitt is the best of the rest.

Reactions: 5 people
Agree, as of right now, but I wouldn’t be shocked if Pruitt ends up being the best of the bunch.

Extremely far from certainty, but the upside is definitely there.

Reactions: 19 people
The TAM hire may prove out to be one of the most stupid hires in college football. I say this because other than Jimbo's NC they have been good, but not great. To hire a coach and give him a 75 million guarantee is nuts. He like Pruitt is starting with some talent, but have some rebuilding to do. Will TAM be patient enough or is Jimbo going to out 3 to 4 years out laughing all the way to the bank??

Reactions: 16 people
I think considering the money, UT did the best. Can't see how TaM is going to have cash left to get the best staff. I think FL over paid on Mullen by about $1m that could also be for top staff.

They are both going to be formidable but I think both for recruiting and developing players, having top staff at every position could be the difference maker.

The TAM hire may prove out to be one of the most stupid hires in college football. I say this because other than Jimbo's NC they have been good, but not great. To hire a coach and give him a 75 million guarantee is nuts. He like Pruitt is starting with some talent, but have some rebuilding to do. Will TAM be patient enough or is Jimbo going to out 3 to 4 years out laughing all the way to the bank??
In 8 years at FSU:
4 Division Titles
3 ACC Titles
1 NC (another as OC LSU)
4 Top 10 finishes
70-23, 40-17 without the NC year
Almost every recruiting class top 5
Yeah, what a horrible hire. That's anybody's definition of great.

Last edited:
Reactions: 12 people
Yeah in the ACC who until Clemson arrived was basically off the map. You also must consider FSU gets the Ohio State and ND ranking favoritism. I am not saying he isn't a great coach, I am just saying that throwing a guy 75 million guaranteed money is crazy. I believe that Jimbo already checked out as HC early in the season which shows in their overall record. He never had a good relationship with the boosters and Sumlin never did either which led to his firing.
Anyway I hope their hire works out for them and our hire works out for us.

Reactions: 6 people
I really don't believe you can judge a coordinator to HC position at all at this time. There was an OC for a decent Maryland team that turned out to be James Franklin. You just don't ever know what you have at this point.

I think Jimbo is better than Mullen, but I really don't know. Mullen was at one of the worst schools in the country, Jimbo was at one of the best. Wouldn't be shocked at all if Mullen turns out to be better. Remember when we though Bret Bielema was a shoe in for good hire?

I agree with the rankings, but with 1 and 2 head and shoulders above 3, 4, 5 and 6.

We have zero way of knowing right now. He could turn out to be the best by far. He could turn out to be the worst. That's the exciting thing. There IS the potential we get really good really fast. Can't wait to see it play out.

Unfortunately we have to wait 9 months to see it start. Good thing we have basketball, softball...etc etc...to get us through.

Let's hope for a resurgence in Vol sports across the board until then.

I tend to agree with your Jimbo take. It’s just too damn hard to win the West to warrant that contract. But I do admire A&M’s guts to do it.

I'm not really scared of Mullen at Florida. He's not a great recruiter but a good developer. Florida is however, a recruit rich state, but Mullen will also have to compete with at least FSU and Miami, but also with UCF and FAU. Kiffin is going to be a pain in their rears for sure. I actually like UT's chances at some big guys with the recruiting prowess of Jeremy Pruitt, and many of the guys he's staffed. Terry Fair will be a big factor on recruiting for defense for sure.

Reactions: 1 person
I am not a big Morris fan. I think Arky will be loking for a new coach in 4-5 years.

1. Dan Mullen. His track record at Miss State was spectacular, considering the massive disadvantages he was competing with. He's already won 2 national titles at Florida as OC.

2. Joe Moorhead. Very underrated hire. Unfortunately for him, he's going to get compared to Dan Mullen, so it's going to be very difficult for Moorhead to improve results further at Miss State. That said, Moorhead was the best OC in the nation over the past two years; Penn State was very mediocre before Moorhead arrived. Moorhead already succeeded in a very tough job at Fordham, as well.

3. Jimbo Fisher. On paper, it sounds like a great hire. In reality, I'm skeptical. First off, A&M is paying an insanely high price for Fisher. While Fisher's dropoff at FSU this season can be partly blamed on injuries, it also feels like he has some personal demons he's battling. But the other thing here is that A&M is a much tougher job than FSU. In the ACC, FSU is top dog. Miami was down while he was there (till this season), so FSU was easily the best job in the ACC recruiting-wise. And there's really only 2-3 teams that compete with FSU when it's run well: Clemson, Miami, and maybe Virginia Tech. A&M is a very different beast. Fisher steps into the 4th best program in the SEC West. He now has to compete against Nick Saban and Gus Malzahn. It's going to be tougher at A&M than it is at FSU.

4. Chad Morris. Excellent offensive coordinator at Clemson and he rebuilt an SMU program that was basically in shambles when he took over. Arkansas is a tough job right now, though. I'd argue that it's become the toughest job in the SEC West, as Miss State has improved its facilities and stature. It's really the only SEC West school that lacks much in the way of blue chip home state recruits. That said, Morris will recruit the hell out of Texas.

5. Jeremy Pruitt. The bright side IMO is that Pruitt has a lot of upside. The glass half empty perspective, however, says he also has the more downside than any of the four guys I ranked above him. I'm optimistic for now, but it's really all going to come down to whether he can figure out how to get this offense working again and that's something he has virtually no experience doing. It seems like our entire staff has been given promotions, rather than being experienced guys, so it's tough to say how it will turn out. My fear is that Pruitt is Will Muschamp Part 2. That said, he could end up bieng a very successful Dabo Swinney type hire. We'll have to wait and see. Even though I'm ranking this #5, I don't think any of the SEC hires were bad and I don't think it's far-fetched to look back in 5 years and for this to end up being the best hire. But he's definitely less proven than the other guys.

6. Matt Luke. David Cutcliffe protege. Underrated as a coach, but no one can succeed at Ole Miss right now. That's just the reality. Unfortunately, Luke is the sacrificial lamb, but it's unfair to him. He's a good coach who is trying to swim up Mount Everest right now.

Reactions: 6 people

Plus the SEC West is gonna be a lot tougher week in week out then jimbo was used to at FSU

Gonna be interesting to see if he can win the division within next 3 or 4 years

I’m hopeful that we are the ones that come out with the homerun. Im trying not to get too excited, but I’m loving what I see and hear so far from Pruitt.

Mullen is not elite... FL will hate him
Soon.

There’s only a handful of guys that are elite don’t think anybody ever considered Mullen one of them

He’s more like James Franklin when he was hired from Vandy but more proven and more exp also competing in SEC West is a hell of a lot tougher then the east

He blew out LSU and A&M and took Bama to the last 2 min with the game tied that’s pretty damn impressive for Miss St which was a perennial bottom feeder when he got there

Fisher wasnt so good imo -- yeah he lost the QB, but the other positions fizzeled out bad - lack of depth ?

I couldn’t disagree more. I think Jimbo Fisher is highly overrated, and will be lucky to even match Sumlin.

I also question whether Mullen has the temperament to succeed in the fishbowl in Gainesville. He might very well get eaten alive.

But, of course, so could Pruitt in Knoxville.

I would lump the first three together. Only time will tell. But, I like Pruitt’s chances to come out on top.

I'm not really scared of Mullen at Florida. He's not a great recruiter but a good developer. Florida is however, a recruit rich state, but Mullen will also have to compete with at least FSU and Miami, but also with UCF and FAU. Kiffin is going to be a pain in their rears for sure. I actually like UT's chances at some big guys with the recruiting prowess of Jeremy Pruitt, and many of the guys he's staffed. Terry Fair will be a big factor on recruiting for defense for sure.

Name one recruit Florida, FSU, or Miami lost to FAU, USF or UCF and I’ll hang up and listen.

Reactions: 3 people
I am not a big Morris fan. I think Arky will be loking for a new coach in 4-5 years.

Disagree. I think Morris might be the steal of this coaching search cycle. If he can get kids out of the DFW area to commit, then look out.

Disagree. I think Morris might be the steal of this coaching search cycle. If he can get kids out of the DFW area to commit, then look out.

I don’t understand that thought. And I believe your Arkansas closet homerism is showing (just like a lot of guys (and my)on here’s UT homerism). I think Morris is just as much a crap shoot as Pruitt and I am not sure Pruitt doesn’t have a better/larger volume of quality recruiting base throughout AL, GA, FL and the nation that outweighs the Dallas/FT Worth area. As well as a potentially better staff so far.

Morris also has a more difficult path to success in the West.

VN Store

Back