What happened to all the talent?

SpaceCoastVol

Jacked up on moonshine and testosterone
I have been reading for the last couple of years about how we are LOADED with talent. Now all of a sudden, in many threads I have been reading how we have to give CJP 'time' because essentially the cupboard is bare. OK. Where did all the talent go? Did they graduate? Quit? Die? Help me out.

Reactions: 20 people
I have been reading for the last couple of years about how we are LOADED with talent. Now all of a sudden, in many threads I have been reading how we have to give CJP 'time' because essentially the cupboard is bare. OK. Where did all the talent go? Did they graduate? Quit? Die? Help me out.

We had some attrition but the talent is there. We will return a 5 star QB, 2-3 5 star DL, multiple 4/5 start OL. Very talented at the RB position. Our top 2 leading WR return. We lose the most in the defensive backfield but hopefully Pruitt is good enough at defense to make that better.

6-6 should be the floor next year. That's losing to everyone you should, beating everyone you should and going 3-3 in toss up games.

After that, we should be looking at another leap forward to approach 9 wins, if Pruitt is a capable coach. The pattern with the greats is that they get it going pretty quickly.

Reactions: 9 people
Weren't developed.
We are getting all star coaches from what I read on here. Shouldn't be a problem. 6-6 should be unacceptable.

The cupboard is not bare. Or is that a convenient management of expectations?

Reactions: 9 people
We are getting all star coaches from what I read on here. Shouldn't be a problem. 6-6 should be unacceptable.

What record would be acceptable to you?

Just had a 4 win season. I'll take a 6 win season next year and build off that.

Reactions: 19 people

Some got run off, some got injured, some got arrested, some lost their mind, some transferred out.

Kinda reminds me of the Ten little Indians song from when I was a kid.

Reactions: 3 people
What record would be acceptable to you?
I'm not sure yet. That's kind of what this thread was all about is to get a feel for whether or not we have the talent to be better. VN seems to be all over the board on that. I hope that this year was an abysmal anomaly to this team's abilities. If development is the issue, VN's assessment is that we are getting a bunch of BOOM rock stars on staff, so development can/should/will take place. So using that alone, 6-6 would be a failure. Maybe 7-5 is acceptable? Personally I am leaning toward 8-4 as a minimum.

Of course it sounds like the talent we have on board is going to have to learn a completely new way of playing football so there's that.

Kirby Smart entered a much better situation at UGA than Pruitt did here, and even he only went 7-5 in his first regular season.

Reactions: 6 people
not had top talent in the last few years. Anyone that says we have are full of it.

Reactions: 6 people
not had top talent in the last few years. Anyone that says we have are full of it.
So who were all these lying numbnuts saying that we had top 5 classes every year? I want some payback on dey azz.

Reactions: 2 people
Some here for whatever reason have a knee jerk reaction to set the bar low. They think "patiently" enduring subpar performance will somehow magically produce championships in the future.

This team still has talent and has quite a bit if several players come back from injuries and get good development. The right coach will be able to get Fr to play well without the years of development Jones thought they had to have.

I like the hire. I hope for the best. But if he can't improve the team, avoid bad losses, and get some good wins in his first 3 years... then you cut bait. "Time" isn't the friend of building a championship program if time means tolerating someone without the skill to get the job done.

UT needs a great coach. A great coach wins 7 games with 6 win talent... not 5 like Jones did in '13. He wins 9 with 7 win talent... unlike Jones in '14. He doesn't whine about youth then choke away a potentially great season like Jones did in '15.

Reactions: 8 people

had talent. Two years ago? Lot's of talent. Unfortunately, a lot of that talent was sidelined. Others just didn't play up to their potential. Still, many well regarded players left for the upcoming year. Can we help prevent them from being injured and to play to their potential?

Reactions: 2 people

Drew Richmond, Smith, Jashon Robertson OL???

K-Mac, Phillips, Kongbo, Tuttle, Vickers, Taylor???

Kirkland, Reeves Maybin???

Umm all 4-5* guys??? No Talent??? Guess me and every scout and espn report on High school athletes are full of it. You have to be kidding me if you don't think that we have a talented team......

Lesson for you, we had Alvin Kamara. Remember him?? yea vaguely I'm sure bc our previous inept staff only gave him the ball 6-9 times a game....he is now up for ROOKIE OF THE YEAR IN THE NFL!!!!! He barley played for us.........

There is a boatload of talent that Pruitt is inheriting, now to see if he can coach them up to play at their maximum level will be the question.

Reactions: 5 people

Some of those players were over rated, many were not developed, lost many to attrition. We did not recruit sec caliber corners. We have some talent but little depth at any position save rb. We are razor thin across the roster. In order to compete in the sec you have to be two deep, we aren't.

I'm not sure yet. That's kind of what this thread was all about is to get a feel for whether or not we have the talent to be better. VN seems to be all over the board on that. I hope that this year was an abysmal anomaly to this team's abilities. If development is the issue, VN's assessment is that we are getting a bunch of BOOM rock stars on staff, so development can/should/will take place. So using that alone, 6-6 would be a failure. Maybe 7-5 is acceptable? Personally I am leaning toward 8-4 as a minimum.

Of course it sounds like the talent we have on board is going to have to learn a completely new way of playing football so there's that.

???

Reactions: 1 person

I guess I'm full of it then because I say we should have been 10-2 in 2015 and 2016 and SEC East Champs both years - especially '15 if we could have held 2 TD fourth quarter leads.

Reactions: 4 people

I don't know who was saying "LOADED" with the caps and all.

The key question is are we better off in late 2017 than in late 2012?

And even with a bit of attrition, the answer is a resounding YES.

Doesn't mean we are loaded wrt to other SEC programs, but are at a level it is possible to have more early success with, for sure.

Reactions: 1 person
Many of the players have not played up to their star rating for what ever reasons.

VN Store

Back