Gut feeling on Pruitt?

UTK

Obviously there’s no way in knowing the future, Pruitt could do well, do amazing, be mediocre, or be a bad HC when it’s all said and done. But what’s your gut feeling?

Do you think we will finally win another SEC championship under him? I’m going to go with yes. Im cautious. But for some reason I just have this gut feeling I didn’t have with Butch or Dooley that we’re finally going to be elite again. Year 3 we win the East, year 4 we win the whole thing. (The SEC, not a saying a natty)

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Obviously there’s no way in knowing the future, Pruitt could do well, do amazing, be mediocre, or be a bad HC when it’s all said and done. But what’s your gut feeling?

Do you think we will finally win another SEC championship under him? I’m going to go with yes. Im cautious. But for some reason I just have this gut feeling I didn’t have with Butch or Dooley that we’re finally going to be elite again. Year 3 we win the East, year 4 we win the whole thing.

Cautiously optimistic.

Reactions: 11 people
Year 5 get in the CFP. Yes it sucks we gotta start over again but it happens with every new coach. I think Kirby got lucky in only 2 YEARS he’s playing for a possible NC spot. I wish TN was that damn lucky...but then again he had Richt’s players and he’s no shabby recruiter either. We as fans just gotta realize Rome wasn’t built in a day and neither will TN. Have faith have fun and cheer your hearts out for Big Orange!!!

Reactions: 4 people
If us fans can temper our expectations for the first 2 years then I think years 3-4 could be great with an amazing year 5 to cap it off. And if he ends up being the second coming of Saban we could see immediate results.

Reactions: 6 people
If us fans can temper our expectations for the first 2 years then I think years 3-4 could be great with an amazing year 5 to cap it off. And if he ends up being the second coming of Saban we could see immediate results.

I Agree. A good coach has us good again in years 4-5. A great coach makes noise in year 2.

Reactions: 3 people
No clichés, no coach speak. seems very down to earth and I'll bet the players will love him. I'm looking forward to UT football being physical again with him at the helm...

Aiight!!!!!

Reactions: 10 people

Do you think we will finally win another SEC championship under him? I’m going to go with yes. Im cautious. But for some reason I just have this gut feeling I didn’t have with Butch or Dooley that we’re finally going to be elite again. Year 3 we win the East, year 4 we win the whole thing. (The SEC, not a saying a natty)

His presser got me pumped,that's for sure! On the other hand talk is cheap. I feel like he has the fire to turn this thing around. I'm hopeful he gets it done in a big way,but will hold judgment until after he's coached a few games.

Reactions: 1 person
At this time 50 percent chance. I think that figure can only rise. Another long shot OJT HC but he’s fully charged right now.

As I always am when a new hire is made.....I'm guardedly optimistic. I'm hopeful, but understandably a tad gun shy. Personally, I'm taking a wait and see approach. Winning the press conference is great, but I'm more inclined to form an opinion based on what I see on Saturdays. If we see that big, tough, aggressive, nasty team and no one wants to play us, I'll be sold

I didn’t like the hire but CJP won me over and I’m 100% behind him. He sounds very passionate and appears to be putting a helluva staff together.

I was hoping for a current HC not coordinator hire. That said, he is the opposite of jones and Dooley in every way....physical football, no slogans, no excuses, no BS. He reminds me of a young version of Fulmer.

I think next year will be a struggle, but if he puts together the right staff, especially on the offensive side of the ball, I think we will be ok going forward.

Reactions: 3 people
Seems like a hard working guy.
I'll support him just like I would any new coach. But honestly, could you find more of a bubba??

I don’t have a read on him or how his style will translate here. However, I am 110% behind him and have my sleeves rolled up this morning ready to get in the street and go to battle.

I realize this is sorta a rebuild. With that being said I will be happy as long as there is improvement each year with the end goal of getting to ATL and a possible playoff spot.

I think that we will have another coach like Butch. We will see immediate improvement and after two or three seasons we will go back to losing again and by year five we will a new coach. We are caught in this cycle

I like Pruitt. Seems very down to earth, all football. Again, the administration gets away with an up and commer. Its his first head coaching job, I am sure he will give it all he's got.

I think there are three things that make a great Coach. (1) Recruiting. You have to recruit quality players. I believe he can do this. (2) Developing players. Again I believe he can do this too. (3) Bring in quality Assistant Coaches, position coaches. The hires so far look to be just that. So my gut feeling is we gon be a'ight. GBO

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
I think that we will have another coach like Butch. We will see immediate improvement and after two or three seasons we will go back to losing again and by year five we will a new coach. We are caught in this cycle

If we see immediate improvement that means they know how to coach. Butch survived off his recruits pure athleticism, not his or his staffs "coaching".

I don’t have a read on him or how his style will translate here. However, I am 110% behind him and have my sleeves rolled up this morning ready to get in the street and go to battle.

His style? Will it translate here? No offense, but I don't want the UT "style" of the last decade. Scrap,it, burn it, leave it in a ditch.

As for Pruitt, look at the programs he's been associated with. Bama, FSU, UGA. If he brings that culture to UT again, we've chosen very well. What this team becomes will begin with him, the tine he sets and the staff he hires. He's got to get, keep,and grow respect from everyone associated with the program. That means consistency from him no matter who he's dealing with. Treat everyone the same and deal with those who seek to test him swiftly, aggressively and again, consistently. There's bound to be some who try to push things.....much like children do their parents. He needs to make sure that challenge is addressed quickly and fairly.

I expect any coach at UT from the first year on to find a way to beat these teams and no exceptions. Sorry these are musts as far as expectations:

Beat Vandie, Kenrucky and USCjr. This has to happen. No exceptions.

I expect any coach at UT from his first year on to find a way to compete at a very high level (at the minimum) with these teams and give a fighting chance to win any of them:

Alabama, UGA, UF, Auburn and LSU.

These are my expectations. Why? Because Tennessee has done it before and MUST do it again.

There was a time when UT led the series agaisnt all but Alabama and even in the Alabama series it was once within about a 5 game wins to losses advantage. 10 years ago it was the most competitive rivalry in the nation in regards to wins and losses categories. No team has beaten Alabama more that UT has.....

These are my expectations. Sorry if they're too high.

Reactions: 5 people
I think he’ll do great things here. But before we start reaping the rewards of his great things, Saban retires and he goes home the moment he gets the call.

Between his experience, coaching prowess thus far, the staff he is assembling, and watching that presser yesterday...I think we have a shot at once again being a perennial 10-11 win team.

That being said I agree we will once again have to be PATIENT. Patience for me will look different though. 2018: Anything better than 6-6 I am pumped
2019: (marked improvement) 8-4 or better, if I see anything short of that, I am not sure he will ever rise about that level.

I know that is a quick turnaround and seems to lack patience but I think that is a manageable timetable.

I think he’ll do great things here. But before we start reaping the rewards of his great things, Saban retires and he goes home the moment he gets the call.

If he proves worthy of the top job in the country, he will have left a situation that great coaches will line up to interview for. Not going to live in fear of Bama.

While there is no real way to tell what kind of HC he will be, it is very encouraging to see that he is surrounding himself with real talent. If he fails, it will mean that quite a few of the others, his assistants, will have been highly overrated as well. With the experience, energy and recruiting ability of the rumored staff, it would be hard not to be better than mediocre.

In our current position, It would appear that we have been very fortunate. I hope people will give him at 2-3 years before starting the panic that Vol fans are known for, lol. :salute:

Last edited:

VN Store

Back