Tyson Helton Offense

tennfanatic

Haven't had a chance to see USC play this year. Does Tyson Helton run a pro or spread offense?

A very exciting up tempo-pro style offense. Here's a good article on it:
USC offensive tackle Zach Banner likes the smash and gun because its physical and fast style taxes defenses within a scheme favored by the NFL — something Banner says resonates with recruits. His coach, Clay Helton, sees other advantages to an up-tempo pro-style combination. “Part of the pro-style system is to be able to call two plays and have your quarterback get you in the right one,” Helton said. “What I like about the no-huddle is the ability to see the defense and them not know whether you’re going fast or whether you’re just trying to get to the right play. I think you can do both.”

A college offense that could challenge the spread's popularity

This is exactly what we need. It won't require a complete overhaul of our recruiting tastes nor will it get exposed by SEC defenses like I fear Mike Leach's would. The success and eventual $$ that USC's QB will get will be a great recruiting tool as well

Reactions: 13 people
Does it matter? It's a good offense that scores points.
It does matter to a degree. A pro style offense is not an offense that is as well suited to beat teams like Alabama and Georgia as a spread offense, ceteris paribus. It relies a lot on having more talent than the other team. Spread offenses do a better job of masking being a less talented team. But being uptemp helps with that as well. It can be successful here, but those are the facts of the matter.

Reactions: 2 people
Haven't had a chance to see USC play this year. Does Tyson Helton run a pro or spread offense?

Conf usa/Sun belt spread offense. Lack of power running game hurt USC. They have the best qb in the country and loaded full of talent and underachieved offensively.

He needs to be qb coach and they must hire an elite offensive coordinator.

Reactions: 2 people
Does it matter? It's a good offense that scores points.

Watched a few USC games this year and I was frankly, a little underwhelmed with their offense (One reason why I wasn't high on Tee at all). USC has the probable #1 draft pick at QB and has the most talent of any team in the Pac 10 by a substantial margin.

Reactions: 4 people
Conf usa/Sun belt spread offense. Lack of power running game hurt USC. They have the best qb in the country and loaded full of talent and underachieved offensively.

He needs to be qb coach and they must hire an elite offensive coordinator.

He is the OC

Watched a few USC games this year and I was frankly, a little underwhelmed with their offense (One reason why I wasn't high on Tee at all). USC has the probable #1 draft pick at QB and has the most talent of any team in the Pac 10 by a substantial margin.

You are correct. The offensive schemes will not work in the SEC. Play for championships here and nothing more.
Run the football and play great defense.

Reactions: 4 people
Thank you sir. Really wanting us to go more to the pro style look.

Me too! I love to watch USC play. It's way more pro style with just enough spread in it to keep teams off balance. But definitely rely on good QB and WR play and works better with an effective run game.

He runs a multiple offense. Both Spread and Pro-Style elements

I think that's ideal for college football today. I'd love to see some no huddle and wear down these elite defenses we see in the SEC

You are correct. The offensive schemes will not work in the SEC. Play for championships here and nothing more.

Disagree his offensive scheme would work great here. They averaged 295 passing and 195 rushing without a 2nd RB. Jones ran for 1500 yards by himself. Not a damn thing wrong with those numbers. Just need atleast 2 backs

Reactions: 3 people

The scheme would work fine here. USC had issues with execution and the play-calling left a lot to be desired. Excluding the opening cupcake non-conference game, this team averaged 33 points a game in a league that plays very little defense. In my opinion, that's underwhelming considering the talent advantage they had on everyone they played against...

Reactions: 1 person
The scheme would work fine here. USC had issues with execution and the play-calling left a lot to be desired. Excluding the opening cupcake non-conference game, this team averaged 33 points a game in a league that plays very little defense. In my opinion, that's underwhelming considering the talent advantage they had on everyone they played against...

Exactly why they wanted Tee out. We got the better coach and recruiter in Helton.

im confused. Tyson Helton is pass game coordinator and qb coach at usc and not the OC. Your speaking as if he’s the man at USC. :lolabove:

He still ran that type of offense at W.Ky and it was his brothers offense. They have the same offensive style. Nothing to be confused about.

USC is 9th in total yards. Not sure why people feel the need to take a shot at Tee or the new OC based on those results, but we are site full of idiots so I guess that explains it.

Reactions: 15 people

VN Store

Back