The National Media Was Dead Wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.

peytonmanningwoo

The media painted it as if Tennessee fans were upset that we didn't land a big name coach, and so we latched onto Schiano's Penn State baggage to protest the hire. The media didn't do their due diligence. We're not picky. Tennessee supported Dooley and Jones. We might have grumbled for a day or two, but we didn't protest. What you saw with Schiano was moral outage.

Case in point, the Alabama trueblood we hired has never been a head coach, and he's bringing an offensive coordinator who doesn't even call plays.They were just temmates at Alabama. Pruitt is a lackluster hire by any measure. Yet, Tennessee fans are licking it up. They are calling in one after another on Knoxville radio, celebrating like we won the championship, thanking Fulmer for landing such a great head coach.

The truth is...Tennessee fans will savor whatever chopped liver you give them. They're not like Auburn or Florida fans who demand quality. The media couldn't have been more wrong about our reaction to Schiano.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Reactions: 8 people
I disagree on how much your laying on the morality issue. There were two issues, a moral one and the dude just had a terrible reputation as a head coach. I was railing against him due the latter and didn't even know about the PSU dilemma till others' outrage started.

Reactions: 17 people
The reaction to Schiano was pretty bad. And uncalled for....

But it was Tennessee fans finally coming together to scream enough from the administrators. AND THAT WAS VERY MUCH NEEDED!

Was a bad look, but it had to happen at some point to start the change.

Reactions: 2 people
The media painted it as if Tennessee fans were upset that we didn't land a big name coach, and so we latched onto Schiano's Penn State baggage to protest the hire. The media didn't do their due diligence. We're not picky. Tennessee supported Dooley and Jones. We might have grumbled for a day or two, but we didn't protest. What you saw with Schiano was moral outage.

Case in point, the Alabama trueblood we hired has never been a head coach, and he's bringing an offensive coordinator who doesn't even call plays.They were just temmates at Alabama. Pruitt is a lackluster hire by any measure. Yet, Tennessee fans are licking it up. They are calling in one after another on Knoxville radio, celebrating like we won the championship, thanking Fulmer for landing such a great head coach.

The truth is...Tennessee fans will savor whatever chopped liver you give them. They're not like Auburn or Florida fans who demand quality. The media couldn't have been more wrong about our reaction to Schiano.

You do not know much about football do you??:crazy:

Reactions: 14 people

The truth is that every one of your posts are truly idiotic.

Reactions: 39 people

No it wasn't. If Gruden, Mullen, or some other coach that was deemed a good enough name had Schiano's identical baggage, it would have been overlooked.

The revolt against Schiano was from the fact that he wasn't a big enough name relative to others in the search, his coaching reputation was tarnished by what happened in Tampa Bay, and there was a widespread notion that he wouldn't be a good fit in Knoxville/the SEC. His name did not seriously even come up as a candidate until the day he was hired, which reeked of Haslam interference. That's why people were upset.

If you're going to throw a temper tantrum, it just looks better to claim you are throwing it for some kind of moral or principled reason rather than "he ain't a good coach."

By the way, I agree with any and all notions that Schiano would have been a bad fit here. I think we dodged a bullet by him not getting the job. I'm just honest about the reasons our fans didn't want him though.

Reactions: 6 people
There are a lot of people on this board who love Fulmer more than they love Tennessee. They do not feel the Fultanic is capable of steering us wrong. They would have taken Dooley back if Fulmer had spoken positively of him. We're just trying to make a bowl game with this hire. We're just hoping to attract recruits who aren't quite good enough to go to Alabama A in Tuscaloosa or Alabama B in Georgia. We're just striving to be middle of the pack Alabama C in Knoxville.

Reactions: 3 people
No it wasn't. If Gruden, Mullen, or some other coach that was deemed a good enough name had Schiano's identical baggage, it would have been overlooked.

The revolt against Schiano was from the fact that he wasn't a big enough name relative to others in the search, his coaching reputation was tarnished by what happened in Tampa Bay, and there was a widespread notion that he wouldn't be a good fit in Knoxville/the SEC. His name did not seriously even come up as a candidate until the day he was hired, which reeked of Haslam interference. That's why people were upset.

If you're going to throw a temper tantrum, it just looks better to claim you are throwing it for some kind of moral or principled reason rather than "he ain't a good coach."

By the way, I agree with any and all notions that Schiano would have been a bad fit here. I think we dodged a bullet by him not getting the job. I'm just honest about the reasons our fans didn't want him though.

200.webp

Reactions: 1 person
There are a lot of people on this board who love Fulmer more than they love Tennessee. They do not feel the Fultanic is capable of steering us wrong. They would have taken Dooley back if Fulmer had spoken positively of him. We're just trying to make a bowl game with this hire. We're just hoping to attract recruits who aren't quite good enough to go to Alabama A in Tuscaloosa or Alabama B in Georgia. We're just striving to be middle of the pack Alabama C in Knoxville.

How you view this hire depends on what reference point you use.

If you told fans on the day Butch was fired that we'd end up with Jeremy Pruitt, I think people would mostly be underwhelmed. Nothing like the reaction people had with Schiano, but underwhelmed.

If you told fans on the day Butch was fired that during the upcoming coaching search Greg Schiano would be offered the job then have that offer rescinded, followed by Currie's own firing a few days later, and then we'd get Jeremy Pruitt, the reaction would be one of disbelief at how we could end up with a coach that good given the circumstances.

Jeremy Pruitt is about as good as we could end up with given the circumstances.

You need to let it go:blink:

Are you 13 years old? this is the second time today I read one of your posts and thought what a buffoon

Reactions: 7 people
Every time you post you show how little you know about football, TN or anything of consequence. Your whole schtick is based on your dislike for Fulmer.

Speaking of moral outrage, we should talk about your avi! I've seen some racy avi pics on here but a monkey getting ready to roll on a condom is a bit much!

Oh, wait... so that's a football... and that thing is just the laces... ohhhhh. Okay, never mind.

Last edited:
Are you 13 years old? this is the second time today I read one of your posts and thought what a buffoon
That's probably because you like chopped liver but have never heard of asparagus with hollandaise sauce.

UT had to have a recruiter and a coach all in one. Most people say this guy is just that so we'll see. I would have loved Mike Leach's press conferences. Not sure how many games he would of won here though. Gundy would of been good if he figured out you have to play defense too. Either way after the way the shatshow unfolded it was more than likely going to be a coordinator and it was. I don't see much difference between Pruitt, Tucker or Venables. We probably got the better recruiter of the 3 so there is that.

Last edited:

The revolt against Schiano/Currie had a lot to do with the perception among Tennessee fans that Haslam was the one making the hire. Haslam can't even win a game with his own franchise but wants to pick our coaches. That won't fly. The Pruitt hire is being accepted because Tennessee fans trust that Fulmer has our best interest at heart and has done his due diligence. Also, I think Tennessee fans believe that Pruitt is a better fit than Schiano.

You're striving with each post to look dumber and dumber. Quite the achievement considering how high you set the bar in the beginning.

I don't believe the revolt against Schiano was because he wasn't a big name. There were a number of factors and each contributed to the negative reaction. For me, the biggest issue was the perception that he was being forced upon the fan base without any regard for what we wanted. With all of the time leading up to the announcement, he was announced without any regard to what the fans wanted. While there can be a legitimate debate on whether or not a coordinator can be successful, Schiano had head coaching experience and it was at best average. There was no connection to UT, the SEC and it appeared to me, the decision was made and we were told to like it. I don't diminish those that were concerned about the events at Penn State. I believe that was a smaller minority, but they had a legitimate gripe. Greg McEnroy stated that UT was going to be upset with anyone not named Gruden and I don't believe that is the case either. There were a number of coaches that we would have accepted and I, for one, believe we probably did well. I am looking forward to better defense and having the QB line up under center when we have a first and goal at the one yard line.

And at the same time they couldn't have been more right about how clueless some of our fans are. This post will serve as exhibit A.

The garbage you spew is getting old. Put a cork in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back