Mathews: Expect Fulmer to hire a defense guy as head coach

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
Doug Matthews said this morning on his radio show that in a conversation last week with Phillip Fulmer (obviously prior to be named AD), Fulmer pointed out that six (maybe seven) of Tennessee's eight SEC losses came at the hands of defensive head coaches (physically aggressive). He expects Fulmer will take a hard look at coaches who have experience on that side of the ball.

He expects that any coach who will be considered will:

1. Be willing to line up under center
2. Have a lead blocking fullback package
3. The ability to run the football with two tight ends.

According to Matthews Fulmer also knows that at Tennessee, a recruiting head coach is a must.

Matthews also says that Fulmer understands the importance of strength and conditioning. John Stuckey was his first hire as football coach and the one who built the foundation of those championship teams. Fulmer talks about him more than any other staff member.

Reactions: 24 people
So, Matthews is saying it's good for football players to not look like this:

overweight-white-male-working-out-to-get-shape-29308315.jpg

I'm not buying it. As you can see from the image, UT's S&C is top notch.

Reactions: 4 people
TOS is claiming that Matthews also said "Anyone who thinks The Punk [Kiffin] will get a call from Fulmer is out of their mind." I didn't listen so I don't know.

Reactions: 5 people
He expects that any coach who will be considered will:

1. Be willing to line up under center
2. Have a lead blocking fullback package
3. The ability to run the football with two tight ends.

According to Matthews Fulmer also knows that at Tennessee, a recruiting head coach is a must.

I agree 100%. Note that it says "willing" and "package" and "ability." It is not a commitment to one of them but the inability to do any of those has been horrible in recent years.

Reactions: 3 people
TOS is claiming that Matthews also said "Anyone who thinks The Punk [Kiffin] will get a call from Fulmer is out of their mind." I didn't listen so I don't know.

Yep, he said Fulmer would never consider 'the punk.'

Reactions: 14 people

There's no chance. Everything Fulmer built up like tradition and UT history, Kiffin disrespected during his time here. He pissed off so many money people on the way out the door that there's no chance.

It's pointless arguing him. He's a good coach that will never be here. And this is one of the only things the different money factions are unified on. Kiffin will never be part of this team again.

Reactions: 17 people
Doug Matthews said this morning on his radio show that in a conversation last week with Phillip Fulmer (obviously prior to be named AD), Fulmer pointed out that six (maybe seven) of Tennessee's eight SEC losses came at the hands of defensive head coaches (physically aggressive).

This is interesting. From someone watching I thought the problems were offense and not defense.

Reactions: 3 people
This is interesting. From someone watching I thought the problems were offense and not defense.

I think that was a statement more on what it takes to win in this league and not an indictment of the current team. jmo.

Reactions: 4 people
Phil, better than anyone else, knows that it takes to win here.

I hope that he's been able to reflect on the mistakes that led to his downfall over the past 10 years and make sure he doesn't allow those to occur again.

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back