Leach System

Forever151

I keep hearing how it's not gonna work or will never win championships . Lincoln Riley at Oklahoma is a Leach Disciple people and there in the Playoffs

Reactions: 3 people
Always the same crap with SEC fans.

“_______ system will never work in the SEC”

Urban Meyers offense will never work in the SEC.
That Hugh Freeze offense will never work in the SEC.
Gary Pinkels offense will never work in the SEC.
Gus Mahlzans offense will never work in the SEC.

And on and on and on...

Reactions: 28 people
A 1 dimensional offense wont really work in the SEC. If Leach comes and doesnt tweak his syetm, we will get wrecked again.

One thing we know for sure is that the Butch hurry up and punt offense was a failure. I’m ready for some air raid — and maybe he’s more flexible than the last guy and will adapt — after all we have a great stable of running backs

Reactions: 7 people
A 1 dimensional offense wont really work in the SEC. If Leach comes and doesnt tweak his syetm, we will get wrecked again.

It's not dimensional at all.

Have you seen Wazzu play this year?
It's very balanced offensive attack

Reactions: 12 people
I think it would be a breath of fresh air in the SEC...which has gotten a little boring. All these new coaches will spice things up a bit again. Make football fun again.

Always the same crap with SEC fans.

“_______ system will never work in the SEC”

Urban Meyers offense will never work in the SEC.
That Hugh Freeze offense will never work in the SEC.
Gary Pinkels offense will never work in the SEC.
Gus Mahlzans offense will never work in the SEC.

And on and on and on...

His system has been used in the SEC before. Just like everyone it's been he put up numbers but couldn't win championships. He doesn't run the ball so he is bound to have games like he did against Washington this year. He will win some games too though

Reactions: 1 person
I'm all for the air raid offense. I also like the multiple look defense he seems to run.

Any offense works in the SEC or anywhere else if it's executed properly and the players are good enough.

We know any offense run by Mike Leach is going to be executed properly.

The question is whether or not he'll get the players. But considering he's been getting pretty good ones to come to Lubbock and Pullman, I see no reason to think he couldn't get better ones in Knoxville.

Reactions: 8 people

3rd in passing yards per game and 129 out of 130 in rushing yards per game, wouldn't call that balanced

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people

Do you understand how Leach's Air Raid system is supposed to work? It's not throwing the ball deep 100 times a game, it's much more nuanced. There are plenty of articles written up about it. Essentially, Leach tries to involve his backfield as much as his receivers, but instead of getting them the ball by a hand-off, it's by a short pass. So while the backs aren't technically getting "rushes" per se, they are touching the ball. That's why TTU's leader in total receptions is a running back. I suggest going here Air Raid Playbook - CougCenter,] to learn more about Leach's Air Raid. It will work Just fine.

Reactions: 7 people

PAC 12 stats:

2014- #1 in passing, last in rushing

2015- #1 in passing, last in rushing

2016- #1 in passing, #11 in rushing

2017- #1 in passing, last in rushing

How does that say balanced offensive attack?

His system has been used in the SEC before. Just like everyone it's been he put up numbers but couldn't win championships. He doesn't run the ball so he is bound to have games like he did against Washington this year. He will win some games too though

I mean...Butch ball won us 9 games.

I think Leach would get us a couple more. Especially when he can actually get top 15 recruiting classes to Knoxville. Imagine Leachs system with a Josh Dobbs or an Alvin Kamara. Leach likes to throw the ball to his RBs. They have almost as many receiving yards as they do rushing yards. Kelly will do well with that.

I’ve said it on another thread. No one is beating Alabama running the football. It hasn’t happened. It’s not going to happen. You need an efficient passing game to beat Alabama. Last year Clemson had like 58 rushing yards on Alabama in the national championship game.

Reactions: 6 people
PAC 12 stats:

Damn that’s a lot of #1s.

Reactions: 23 people
Do you understand how Leach's Air Raid system is supposed to work? It's not throwing the ball deep 100 times a game, it's much more nuanced. There are plenty of articles written up about it. Essentially, Leach tries to involve his backfield as much as his receivers, but instead of getting them the ball by a hand-off, it's by a short pass. So while the backs aren't technically getting "rushes" per se, they are touching the ball. That's why TTU's leader in total receptions is a running back. I suggest going here Air Raid Playbook - CougCenter,] to learn more about Leach's Air Raid. It will work Just fine.

Its still a one dimensional attack. And for the record, the last SEC team he played, beat him.

PAC 12 stats:

He runs about the same number of play passing as running . His passes go for a lot of yards tho

Its still a one dimensional attack. And for the record, the last SEC team he played, beat him.

You do realize his running backs, this year so far, have 344 touches for 2063 yards? The receivers have a grand total of 316 touches for 3516 yards? Seems pretty balanced to me. If you understood balance the way the its understood in the Air Raid, you'll understand why it works.

Dude... he has always done so much more with so much less... when you are going to bash him, please be gracious enough to tell us who you would rather have, that is a VIABLE option.

Go beg Dave Doreen, or Gruden... Leach is widely considered one of the most innovative coaches of his generation, let's give him some actual resources and see what he can do. You seem like a Florida troll, if I was a Florida or Georgia fan I wouldn't want us to hire Mike Leach either...

You do realize his running backs, this year so far, have 344 touches for 2063 yards? The receivers have a grand total of 316 touches for 3516 yards? Seems pretty balanced to me. If you understood balance the way the its understood in the Air Raid, you'll understand why it works.

Football illiterate.

PAC 12 stats:

Yeah, it's a lot of mesh, screens/ shovel passes and 6 routes lol

Dude... he has always done so much more with so much less... when you are going to bash him, please be gracious enough to tell us who you would rather have, that is a VIABLE option.

Go beg Dave Doreen, or Gruden... Leach is widely considered one of the most innovative coaches of his generation, let's give him some actual resources and see what he can do. You seem like a Florida troll, if I was a Florida or Georgia fan I wouldn't want us to hire Mike Leach either...

The Florida boards are already freaking out "if" we get Mike Leach.

They know he's the real deal too.

Reactions: 2 people

Football Statistics | Pac-12

Washington State Cougars 2017 Statistics - Team and Player Stats - College Football - ESPN

Sorry but I dont know where you get your stats from. But Leach's RBs have 295 touches for 860 yards, at a 2.9YPC and 71 yards per game.

Football illiterate.

Football illiterate for understanding how the Air Raid works? An Air Raid's "balance" is all about getting the ball spread around the field and to different personnel. You think I'm "football illiterate" but those are the words out of Leach's mouth. I suggest going to Air Raid Playbook - CougCenter to learn how an air raid works.

VN Store

Back