Stop with the Tee isn't ready garbage

SouthpawTN

Dabo Swinney was a WR coach when he took over Clemson. Lincoln Riley is 34 and was only a coordinator.

Do you think Nebraska wishes they had hired Scott Frost 3 years ago instead of Mike Riley?

Just freaking do it. It is the only way to stop the bleeding and unite the fan base.

Reactions: 40 people
If we are going a route other than a proven, big time head coach, Tee should get the call. If anyone deserves a vote of confidence from us, it’s Tee.

Reactions: 4 people
Dabo Swinney was a WR coach when he took over Clemson. Lincoln Riley is 34 and was only a coordinator.

Do you think Nebraska wishes they had hired Scott Frost 3 years ago instead of Mike Riley?

Just freaking do it. It is the only way to stop the bleeding and unite the fan base.

So the rule should be that all position coaches and coordinators are ready to be head coaches because some exceptional individuals did well?

That's ridiculous.

Lincoln Riley was considered something of a wunderkind as an OC. He was successful at two different programs and was running his offense and calling all his own plays at Oklahoma.

Tee Martin is running Clay Helton's offense and isn't even allowed to call plays on 3rd and long.

Scott Frost was tutored by what is considered one of the best offensive minds in the game. And still, he needed to go the mid-major route before a major school was going to take a chance on him.

If his name wasn't Tee Martin, there is no way you would want the guy who calls some of the plays for USC to be our next head coach. There are so many coordinators with better resumes and better track records of success. Why give someone this job based on nostalgia?

Reactions: 8 people

You mentioned one success story to buttress your point, are there any to also disprove that same point? Think hard!!!

Reactions: 2 people
Dabo was on thin ice and damn near got fired before he finally got it figured out and turned around. Tee’s timeline won’t be so forgiving after our last decade.

I would love to someday see Tee on the sideline at Neyland. But I honestly don’t believe the timing is right at the moment.

Reactions: 3 people
So the rule should be that all position coaches and coordinators are ready to be head coaches because some exceptional individuals did well?

That's ridiculous.

Lincoln Riley was considered something of a wunderkind as an OC. He was successful at two different programs and was running his offense and calling all his own plays at Oklahoma.

Tee Martin is running Clay Helton's offense and isn't even allowed to call plays on 3rd and long.

Scott Frost was tutored by what is considered one of the best offensive minds in the game. And still, he needed to go the mid-major route before a major school was going to take a chance on him.

If his name wasn't Tee Martin, there is no way you would want the guy who calls some of the plays for USC to be our next head coach. There are so many coordinators with better resumes and better track records of success. Why give someone this job based on nostalgia?
After scoring an 11 on the Wonderlic, I am surprised he is allowed to call 3rd and a foot.

Reactions: 4 people
Kevin Sumlin and Tee Martin >>> the idiots Currie has offered thus far

Between the two, I'd take Sumlin over Martin. We need stability and some wins. Tee might be the next big thing or the next bust. I'm going with the more sure thing here.

it's always a gamble promoting a coordinator. UT has a history of both good and bad

Tee might prove to our savior as Doug Dickey was when Woodruff plucked him from Arkansas's staff. Or he might fail miserably as Bill Battle did when he was promoted. Battle at least had Dickey's success to build off of, but Tee would inherit a complete mess. Another losing season next year, no improvement in a couple years and everyone's favorite son would become public enemy #1 and run out of town on a rail (just like Majors and Fulmer if you have a short memory)

Swinney was elevated mid-season on an interim basis and it was pretty widely accepted that he'd be gone at the end of the season along with the rest of the staff. Going 4-2 and assembling a phenomenal recruiting class was the only thing that saved him.

Lincoln Riley was an internal hire, an offensive coordinator who was elevated on the specific recommendation of a universally-respected coach who could pretty much dictate whatever he wanted.

Neither is a comparable case to this.

Reactions: 1 person
Dabo found Chad Morris and gave the entire offense to him and got out of the way after his record went from 9-4 to 6-6 in his second season.

Dabo wasn't ready and nearly failed until that happened.

Worst possible choice out of every single name thrown out there and that's saying A LOT.

That's ridiculous.

You are absolutely right. But at what point do you have to go that route in order to keep the fans from checking out and give the players someone they would want to play for? I think we are dangerously close to being there.

There is nothing I'd like to see more than Tee coming home as HC and being successful. On the other hand, I'd hate to see him fail because he was rushed into a position he wasn't prepared for.

If they make him offer, they'll need to give the resources to bring in a top notch staff to assist him and be willing to give him time to work through some growing pains.

Sumlin is solid hire. Tee has turned down SEC jobs in past. His current path to HC is the Pac-12

Dabo was on thin ice and damn near got fired before he finally got it figured out and turned around. Tee’s timeline won’t be so forgiving after our last decade.

I would love to someday see Tee on the sideline at Neyland. But I honestly don’t believe the timing is right at the moment.

Maybe you take Sumlin and bring in Tee as head coach in waiting.

Dabo Swinney was a WR coach when he took over Clemson. Lincoln Riley is 34 and was only a coordinator. Riley is in yr 1 with a loaded team. Tee aint gonna take over a loaded program. The opposite in fact.
Dabo was about to get fired until he hired Chad Morris (who our fan base doesn't want) to get his offense straightened out.
Do you think Nebraska wishes they had hired Scott Frost 3 years ago instead of Mike Riley? I will agree that Frost's resume 2 yrs ago is very similar to Tee's right now. But the list of those with similar resumes who failed initially is a lot longer than one Scott Frost.

I just think the program shouldn't be a training ground for a head coach. Maybe I think more of it than it deserves.

Maybe you take Sumlin and bring in Tee as head coach in waiting.

Absolutely love the idea. Put Kevin Steele in the package for the trifecta. But how could it be sold to them. I think Tee wants to be a HC now. I think it’s a hard sell.

VN Store

Back