Mike Houston at James Madison!!

rok_etop

If we are going to go after a lower tier coach(which is all that would consider us at this point)...... This is the dude!! Go get him. Hes a winner everywhere hes been!

Or Lane!!

Reactions: 8 people
Hes a real google.com coach for sure. This guy is from Mars. Seriously, lol

Last edited:
Houston is a hell of a coach but could he handle the bigtime spotlight being on him all the time and could he recruit SEC caliber players?...If so he would be one hell of a hire..A pure diamond in the rough for sure...He has only lost ONE GAME at JMU...Wow

If he can recruit, then go get him. It's obvious he can coach. I still would make Les Miles or Kevin Sumlin an offer since they have been successful in the SEC

not saying he can't coach but there are still several other coaches available that would take this job...Mr. Currie has got to work a little harder and earn some of that money he's being paid...:)

GO VOLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: 1 person
If we're going to reach for a coach, at least reach for a guy who **might** actually be a championship caliber coach.

There's no difference between a coach that goes 3-9 and one that goes 7-5. Either one only makes it three years here.

Dave Doeren, Mike Bobo, Chad Morris, etc. are all annual 7-5 guys, while Mike Houston might be a 3-9, might be SEC Championship caliber.

Take the risk, and let's ride. At least give me hope that we have a chance to be good again.

Reactions: 3 people
someone tweet his name to Currie!! The guy needs all the help he can get. No Doubt Houston takes the job if offered!!

Mike London was also a winner in the same league. Now look at UVA

Mike London only coached two years for Richmond, took a program built by Clawson, and didn't really take another step with it.

Houston took over an absolute dump at the Citadel and beat South Carolina, then took a good program at JMU and made them the best in the nation.

Like I said previously, I'm not saying there's no risk with this hire, but there is no doubt higher upside than with someone like Doeren.

Hes a real google.com coach for sure. This guy is from Mars. Seriously, lol

You have no clue. He's definitely ready for D1. SEC maybe not but if you don't know about JMU over the past few years then... Not wasting anymore of my time

Reactions: 2 people
Mike London was also a winner in the same league. Now look at UVA

Not the same. I'm pretty sure London followed What Dave Clawson built then bolted. He was there short tenure at Richmond. Mike Houston on the other hand has built and sustained. Not the same. @JMUcoachHouston on Twitter

He would be good but I'd still prefer Tee Martin

I have met Houston and heard him speak as well as watched him here in Virginia and this guy is GOOD! He and his staff have been rumored to be ready to go make the jump to a big time program. Several guys on staff are D1 veterans in the coaching ranks. Not saying hes the 1 but hey the AD has turned this into a $&(+ storm and something needs to be done. Hell Im in favor of Kiffin coming back at this point!

I've been yelling this name for weeks/months. I've personally seen Coach Houston coach when he was at Lenior Rhyne. He took that program which was in ruins and led them to a conference title in his second year and a National Championship game his 3rd year. He took The Citadel, which is historically a terrible program and won the conference and a playoff game in 2 years (also beat SC that year). He is now killing it at James Madison with 25-1 record the last 2 years. Heck, college GameDay went to JMU this year. And he has done all of this with multiple offensive schemes (triple option at LR and Citadel, pro-style/spread at JMU), which means he knows how to adjust based on the skill set his players have.

For what it's worth, my family also has close mutual friends who vacation with the Houston's and I've heard nothing but great things. This would be a great hire in my humble opinion. Plus, this is a guy you could get for a modest contract and this would be a life long job for him.

If we're going to reach for a coach, at least reach for a guy who **might** actually be a championship caliber coach.

There's no difference between a coach that goes 3-9 and one that goes 7-5. Either one only makes it three years here.

Dave Doeren, Mike Bobo, Chad Morris, etc. are all annual 7-5 guys, while Mike Houston might be a 3-9, might be SEC Championship caliber.

Take the risk, and let's ride. At least give me hope that we have a chance to be good again.

Hes got a NC Ring from last year, and working on one for this year. 1 loss in 2 years there. We have a family friend whos son plays there and loves the guy!! Beat Bo Pellini coached Youngstown State in the National Championship game last year. Better than the guys who are turning us down currently!

Yes! If you’re gonna reach? Reach upwards!

A reach because he doesn’t have the P5 experience but then again - not everyone does. This guy can coach plain and simple. I’ve personally witnessed him and the product on the field for years. Guy is a winner. Recruiting will be his big challenge initially because he’s not a “name” — but then again, did Butch really have a name? He recruited quite welll.

I would definitely be on board with this hire. For those saying it couldn't work, I would say that it worked well for Ohio State when they hired Jim Tressel from Youngstown State.

My high school coach was pretty good. Let’s just hire him.

Would be the equivalent of hiring Houston.

FCS Success =/= FBS Success

Given some of the names being thrown around, I'd take a chance on him. Can't be any worse than Schiano or Doeren. Honestly, I'm just ready for this nightmare to end one way or the other.

VN Store

Back