The coaching search reality

Roustabout

UT fans are clamoring for a big name coach to ride in and save the program. Ohio State found their Meyer, Michigan its Harbaugh and of course Alabama started the whole thing when it landed Saban. I think it’s safe to say, Gruden will not be the knight riding in on a white horse to save the program from ruin. Perhaps, if he didn’t have a cushy job calling Monday Night Football things would be different. If you still live under that delusion, then I suggest you stop reading and immediately click over to the Gruden thread. As it stands the coaching pool is one of question marks. Although there are a few proven commodities in the coaching pool, there isn’t a, can’t miss, sure fire, slam dunk hire on the horizon. There appears to be no candidate that will ignite the entire fan base and insure UT’s return to prominence.
Compound this with the fact that for the first time ever schools changing leadership have to navigate the early signing period. Not only does this put a ton of pressure on athletic directors to get someone hired in time to save the recruiting class, it also reduces the candidate pool due to policies NFL coaches are under during the regular season.

For many fans, they cannot come to grips with why their university is unable to lure a top prospect away from another school. You can sense the desperation in the threads on this forum. While it is true that Tennessee is a historical top 15 program, this doesn’t insure that big name coaches will covet the job that fans hold in such high regard. You hear it all the time, “Just open the check book.” While it isn’t what fans want to hear, last year evidenced the reality of the changing college football landscape. Programs like Georgia and LSU made hires that were less than awe inspiring. And both were in MUCH better condition than UT is at the moment. The difference is LSU looked like a cluster f---, getting rejected trying to lure the hottest names, while UGA easily picked off a top level coordinator.

Meanwhile, UT fans are wringing their hands and incessantly whining anytime a coordinator's name is mentioned. I think UT fans need to be open to this route even though this will likely not sit well with those looking for a marque hire. The question is, what changed, and when did it happen?

In 2007 Alabama athletic director Mal Moore, in the midst of embarrassment, pulled out all stops and offered Nick Saban a whopping $4 million dollars to become coach of the Crimson Tide. Some of you reading this may be asking, “That’s it?” It almost seems like chump change considering that UT was paying Butch Jones $4.25 million per year. You heard it right, UT was paying Butch more than the massive salary offered to entice Saban to take the job he swore he wasn’t taking. I think it’s easy to say that Nick Saban would be a bargain at $4 million today. But, today, that is a relatively normal salary among power five schools.

During Saban’s dynasty something else happened that would forever change the dollars and ‘sense’ of college football. TV contracts have filtered more money into the sport than anyone ever imagined. Think of it as a sort of wealth redistribution. Whether you are at the top or bottom of a power five conference, you are going to be hauling in a ton of money, win or lose. That’s why a school like TCU, with a 40,000 seat stadium (that they don’t even fill most Saturdays) is paying $5 million to Gary Patterson. Consider that in 2010 TCU was a member of the Mountain West Conference. Also consider that Patterson’s salary was $950,000 in 2006. In 2008, when UT hired Lane Kiffin, Patterson was making only $1.2 million. At that time, the UTAD could have easily doubled Patterson’s salary and it would be highly unlikely that TCU would have matched. It would have been the bully taking lunch money from the smaller, weaker kid. Now that TCU is in the Big 12 and raking in tons of TV money, it's not happening.

At that time you had the haves and the have nots. On one hand there were the traditional, power programs, who could simply outspend the smaller guys. Today, that really isn’t the case. Consider when Auburn hired Tommy Tuberville from Ole Miss. Even though Ole miss was not on the same stage, there was no way it could get into a bidding war and win. Measure that against when UT attempted to hire Charlie Strong from Louisville. Just a decade earlier it would have been powerless to compete with UT, much like it was when trying to keep Bobby Petrino from Arkansas. Today, that isn’t the case. Patterson has been high on the UT radar, but he already makes a ton and doesn’t have to deal with a fan base that demands much more. Further, with its cut of the TV money, TCU can and will pay more to retain Patterson.

The only schools that a traditional power program can outbid are mid-major schools or lower divisions who don’t rake in the big time TV revenue. The problem is that a coach at a mid-major is not going to raise the temperature of many fans. And that brings us to the last problem. Many schools have started negotiating in huge buyouts to protect their investment. Currie will likely have to at least consider paying a large buyout to terminate the contract of a candidate it wants if he insist on hiring a sitting head coach. Matt Campbell, for example, is an up and comer, but is he worth paying Iowa State $9 million?

In my opinion, the salary trend is not sustainable. It’s unfortunate that for all the restrictions the NCAA places on college athletics that it does nothing to address this problem. If you look at salaries over the last decade since Saban was hired, you can see the exponential salary rise, and have to wonder if this is headed for a collapse. Sure, everyone is chasing Saban, but he’ll be retired in five years or less. Then what?

The reality is that UT will have to pay big money for a coach, and probably for one that isn’t going to motivate the fans to immediately make reservations for Atlanta next December. I can anticipate the crying and hand wringing, but won't be surprised if a coordinator moves to the top of the candidate pool.

Last edited:
Reactions: 33 people
UT fans are clamoring for a big name coach to ride in and save the program. Ohio State found their Meyer, Michigan its Harbaugh and of course Alabama started the whole thing when it landed Saban. I think it’s safe to say, Gruden will not be the knight riding in on a white horse to save the program from ruin. Perhaps, if he didn’t have a cushy job calling Monday Night Football things would be different. If you still live under that delusion, then I suggest you stop reading and immediately click over to the Gruden thread. As it stands the coaching pool is one of question marks. Although there are a few proven commodities in the coaching pool, there isn’t a, can’t miss, sure fire, slam dunk hire on the horizon. There appears to be no candidate that will ignite the entire fan base and insure UT’s return to prominence.
Compound this with the fact that for the first time ever schools changing leadership have to navigate the early signing period. Not only does this put a ton of pressure on athletic directors to get someone hired in time to save the recruiting class, it also reduces the candidate pool due to policies NFL coaches are under during the regular season.

For many fans, they cannot come to grips with why their university is unable to lure a top prospect away from another school. You can sense the desperation in the threads on this forum. While it is true that Tennessee is a historical top 15 program, this doesn’t insure that big name coaches will covet the job that fans hold in such high regard. You hear it all the time, “Just open the check book.” While it isn’t what fans want to hear, last year evidenced the reality of the changing college football landscape. Programs like Georgia and LSU made hires that were less than awe inspiring. And both were in MUCH better condition than UT is at the moment. The difference is LSU looked like a cluster f---, getting rejected trying to lure the hottest names, while UGA easily picked off a top level coordinator.

Meanwhile, UT fans are wringing their hands and incessantly whining anytime a coordinator's name is mentioned. I think UT fans need to be open to this route even though this will likely not sit well with those looking for a marque hire. The question is, what changed, and when did it happen?

In 2007 Alabama athletic director Mal Moore, in the midst of embarrassment, pulled out all stops and offered Nick Saban a whopping $4 million dollars to become coach of the Crimson Tide. Some of you reading this may be asking, “That’s it?” It almost seems like chump change considering that UT was paying Butch Jones $4.25 million per year. You heard it right, UT was paying Butch more than the massive salary offered to entice Saban to take the job he swore he wasn’t taking. I think it’s easy to say that Nick Saban would be a bargain at $4 million today. But, today, that is a relatively normal salary among power five schools.

During Saban’s dynasty something else happened that would forever change the dollars and ‘sense’ of college football. TV contracts have filtered more money into the sport than anyone ever imagined. Think of it as a sort of wealth redistribution. Whether you are at the top or bottom of a power five conference, you are going to be hauling in a ton of money, win or lose. That’s why a school like TCU, with a 40,000 seat stadium (that they don’t even fill most Saturdays) is paying $5 million to Gary Patterson. Consider that in 2010 TCU was a member of the Mountain West Conference. Also consider that Patterson’s salary was $950,000 in 2006. In 2008, when UT hired Lane Kiffin, Patterson was making only $1.2 million. At that time, the UTAD could have easily doubled Patterson’s salary and it would be highly unlikely that TCU would have matched. It would have been the bully taking lunch money from the smaller, weaker kid. Now that TCU is in the Big 12 and raking in tons of TV money, it's not happening.

At that time you had the haves and the have nots. On one hand there were the traditional, power programs, who could simply outspend the smaller guys. Today, that really isn’t the case. Consider when Auburn hired Tommy Tuberville from Ole Miss. Even though Ole miss was not on the same stage, there was no way it could get into a bidding war and win. Measure that against when UT attempted to hire Charlie Strong from Louisville. Just a decade earlier it would have been powerless to compete with UT, much like it was when trying to keep Bobby Petrino from Arkansas. Today, that isn’t the case. Patterson has been high on the UT radar, but he already makes a ton and doesn’t have to deal with a fan base that demands much more. Further, with its cut of the TV money, TCU can and will pay more to retain Patterson.

The only schools that a traditional power program can outbid are mid-major schools or lower divisions who don’t rake in the big time TV revenue. The problem is that a coach at a mid-major is not going to raise the temperature of many fans. And that brings us to the last problem. Many schools have started negotiating in huge buyouts to protect their investment. Currie will likely have to at least consider paying a large buyout to terminate the contract of a candidate it wants if he insist on hiring a sitting head coach. Mike Campbell, for example, is an up and comer, but is he worth paying Iowa State $9 million?

In my opinion, the salary trend is not sustainable. It’s unfortunate that for all the restrictions the NCAA places on college athletics that it does nothing to address this problem. If you look at salaries over the last decade since Saban was hired, you can see the exponential salary rise, and have to wonder if this is headed for a collapse. Sure, everyone is chasing Saban, but he’ll be retired in five years or less. Then what?

The reality is that UT will have to pay big money for a coach, and probably for one that isn’t going to motivate the fans to immediately make reservations for Atlanta next December. I can anticipate the crying and hand wringing, but won't be surprised if a coordinator moves to the top of the candidate pool.

A little bit of research before writing this scroll would tell you that his cushy little job is in jeopardy.

Passed the bold I granted you your wish.

TL;DR

Reactions: 7 people
Bored on Thanksgiving huh?

Ill pass because once again, whatever you wrote if your opinion. That doesnt make it reality.

Reactions: 4 people
One thing is for sure. The wave of firing that has blown through the SEC has on average harmed the quality of football even while the cost of coaching has quadrupled. They say Saban is 66. when he retires, maybe over the course of about 10 or 15 years things will change a bit. There will be winners and losers.

For every fan who wants a proven winner, there's probably another fan that wants to hire a coach who has 15 years in front of him. I guess we'll see who it is and how long it is until he gets fired. Or maybe he won't.

Last edited:
Bored on Thanksgiving huh?

Ill pass because once again, whatever you wrote if your opinion. That doesnt make it reality.

Exactly, people stating opinions yet call others opinions delusional is ridiculous. I don't have a problem if some have the OPINION, that Gruden not take UT job, should respect my opinion too. I am not 100% sure Gruden will be the coach (probably 70% imo), because nobody knows who it is except the few involved in search.

Reactions: 2 people
Exactly, people stating opinions yet call others opinions delusional is ridiculous. I don't have a problem if some have the OPINION, that Gruden not take UT job, should respect my opinion too. I am not 100% sure Gruden will be the coach (probably 70% imo), because nobody knows who it is except the few involved in search.

I would be 100% in favor of Gruden, but i have 0% confidence it will happen. It's called being realistic.
IT's NOT HAPPENING. Condolences.

If it helps, skip that part. What i wrote has little to do with Gruden and he isn't mentioned past that point. Sad that so many can't get past that or don't have the ability to read more than a sentence or two.

Reactions: 6 people
Somebody ate way too many deviled eggs today.

And if they get the right hire, we will quit our b1tchin.

Some of us will.

The only schools that a traditional power program can outbid are mid-major schools or lower divisions who don’t rake in the big time TV revenue. The problem is that a coach at a mid-major is not going to raise the temperature of many fans. And that brings us to the last problem. Many schools have started negotiating in huge buyouts to protect their investment. Currie will likely have to at least consider paying a large buyout to terminate the contract of a candidate it wants if he insist on hiring a sitting head coach. Matt Campbell, for example, is an up and comer, but is he worth paying Iowa State $9 million?

So where do I begin. First let me just say this program deserves much more than an assistant or a coordinator riding in to save the day. The program is too big to university is too big not to have head-coaching experience at the helm. Georgia may have hired an assistant he is still not a proven assistant the season is not over, and he has not won the SEC championship. I just don’t believe Volnation is going to settle this time around. We want to play head to head with the big boys, because we are the big boys and if we stop believing that we doom ourselves.

Reactions: 1 person
A little bit of research before writing this scroll would tell you that his cushy little job is in jeopardy.

Passed the bold I granted you your wish.

TL;DR

No it isn’t. The regular talent? Sure. Several will get laid off. Gruden, arguably the best person for the job he is in that he has stated he loves and has no plans of leaving? Both parties will try to find a way to keep him right where he is. Right where he wants to be.

So where do I begin. First let me just say this program deserves much more than an assistant or a coordinator riding in to save the day. The program is too big to university is too big not to have head-coaching experience at the helm. Georgia may have hired an assistant he is still not a proven assistant the season is not over, and he has not won the SEC championship. I just don’t believe Volnation is going to settle this time around. We want to play head to head with the big boys, because we are the big boys and if we stop believing that we doom ourselves.

Deserve aint got nothing to do with it.

It has nothing to do with settling. What i wrote is comprised of facts. Salaries, buyouts, TV money, etc. None of that is my opinion. Sadly, it appears there are too many who are Gruden triggered. Thanks for verifying!!

Deserve aint got nothing to do with it.

It has nothing to do with settling. What i wrote is comprised of facts. Salaries, buyouts, TV money, etc. None of that is my opinion. Sadly, it appears there are too many who are Gruden triggered. Thanks for verifying!!

It’s an interesting perspective. Don’t know if you’re right. But can’t say you’re wrong either. And the revenue sharing from a larger conf TV money pool has helped P5 schools across the board for sure. And P5 salaries have indeed become bloated also.

I would be 100% in favor of Gruden, but i have 0% confidence it will happen. It's called being realistic.
IT's NOT HAPPENING. Condolences.

If it helps, skip that part. What i wrote has little to do with Gruden and he isn't mentioned past that point. Sad that so many can't get past that or don't have the ability to read more than a sentence or two.

Ill give it a read if you can explain what makes it reality rather than your opinion?

There are limits to what whiney entitlement can get you. That's the Fire-Phil-Fulmer lesson I think. Not sure how long it takes to learn the lesson. Maybe 40 or 50 years? 10 is evidently not enough.

Reactions: 4 people
Gruden ain't coming and whomever the new coach, there will be people complaining about it. The only action to win over the dissatisfied is good recruiting and winning games. Winning games cures all and you cannot tell until the ball gets rolling.

VN Store

Back