I really don't think

Nocleats

I really don't think the higher ups at UT, Davenport,etc.. really understand just how horribly negative and explosive the reaction would be from UT nation if another Mid-Major, google to find out WTF they are, coach is hired this time.. It could be very ugly at the presser, which would carry over into signing day, which would only go horribly downhill starting with loss number one to whoever... Hire a great coach, and I'm willing to give you 3 or 4 years ,, Hire a no name up and comer and I'll give about half a season... I need more beer

Reactions: 4 people
I think most agree we need a great hire. I also believe the definition of great varies quite a bit with our fanbase.

Reactions: 1 person
Currie had better go for the throat in this hire..The fans are sick and tired of this playing it cheap crap...This had better leave us fans going " Wow I can't wait for the season to start"!

The wrong hire will set UT back years to come again.

Currie needs to make a Home Run Hire. No question.

No more settling for mid major coaches that we’re hoping will work out in the long run.

That’s how we got stuck with Butch.

Reactions: 7 people
Without actually being in the room during these conversations between Currie , BoT, and relevant boosters; I'd be willing to bet he is doing all he can to bring in the best coach money can buy. It may be all wrapped up and we're squirming over nothing . It may also be that the person(s) he is going after are serious divas that are impossible to come to a reasonable agreement with. I just don't get the vibe from Currie that he is going to settle for less unless that's all there is .

The Preds are good this year, and have signed some solid young players. So they should be good for the next few years (depending on how long Pekka holds out).

We also have the NFL.

At least we have other options. haha

Most people on here wouldn't be satisfied if they could assemble a staff consisting of General Neyland, Knute Rockne, Bear Bryant, George Halas, Don Shula, Tom Landry, Vince Lombardi, Paul Brown, John Madden, and Jim Bob Cooter. They want Gruden, and I predict they will be disappointed whether or not they get him in the long run. U.T. fans are impossible to please. God himself wouldn't please them for long.

Reactions: 8 people
I think most agree we need a great hire. I also believe the definition of great varies quite a bit with our fanbase.

agree, and by all accounts, even with all the rumors floating, the one constant i've seemed to get from them is TN is not going to be scared to spend the mone on the next guy...no matter who it is. they're not going to be forced to settle for #8 on the list because it got "too rich for my blood, i'm out".

so yeah, i think they do know. and i think they're making a solid effort here. but they can't make someone take the job.

Reactions: 2 people
The fact that Hamilton and Hart wet the bed over the past decade in coaching hires is going to make the sell to the next guy extremely difficult. There are a ton of other schools out there looking for coaches. Def doesn't help. The fan base is feeding the Grudenafor's ego which is going to make any other choice once Gruden turns it down seem like a poor hire. Currie is in a tight spot and will prob end up with a 2nd or 3rd tier choice once the dust settles. Stock plenty of beer.

Most people on here wouldn't be satisfied if they could assemble a staff consisting of General Neyland, Knute Rockne, Bear Bryant, George Halas, Don Shula, Tom Landry, Vince Lombardi, Paul Brown, John Madden, and Jim Bob Cooter. They want Gruden, and I predict they will be disappointed whether or not they get him in the long run. U.T. fans are impossible to please. God himself wouldn't please them for long.

I really believe half the people obsessed with Gruden don't know anything about him.

Reactions: 4 people
Again, I don't think Davenport understands.. She really should shadow bamas pres and watch how the fb coach gets whatever he wants.. Academic exception on admission for 1, heck 7.8 players,,, Done! Change the policy on drug testing failed results from 3x and your out, to we just handle it internally and there is no max,,, DONE. Need a class that students, players want to major in, Done...

Last edited:

"Knute Rockne never won a Super Bowl. George Halas was a failed baseball player. Tom Landry was winless his first year as HC. John Madden is scared to fly. And Lombardi was barely above .500 with the Redskins. Do not want." - VolNation

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
I remember when Ohio State hired Jim Tressel out of 1-AA Youngstown State, then went 7-5 his first year.

They got over it in a hurry.

Reactions: 2 people
A question for someone who knows.

Does TENN have to wait 10 days after the football opening, before announcing a new hire? i.e. is there a 10 day waiting period for filling job openings

"knute rockne never won a super bowl. George halas was a failed baseball player. Tom landry was winless his first year as hc. John madden is scared to fly. And lombardi was barely above .500 with the redskins. Do not want." - volnation
lol!

Oh, I don’t think you can compare the last 5 years of Fulmer, Kiffin, Dooley, and Jones with anyone on your list. You are flat out lucky you still have a fan base with as much as what they have been through. It is really short minded on your part to get on here and criticize the victims that are being abused here.

Oh, I don’t think you can compare the last 5 years of Fulmer, Kiffin, Dooley, and Jones with anyone on your list. You are flat out lucky you still have a fan base with as much as what they have been through. It is really short minded on your part to get on here and criticize the victims that are being abused here.
I hope you are kidding. This is football. It's a game.There are no victims in the stands.

I hope you are kidding. This is football. It's a game.There are no victims in the stands.

THANK YOU for providing little perspective..!!:good!:
From the tone of some posters around here, one begins to fear mass suicides if Gruden isn't hired. :cray:

THANK YOU for providing little perspective..!!:good!:
From the tone of some posters around here, one begins to fear mass suicides if Gruden isn't hired. :cray:

And the tone of schools not from around here will fear mass destruction of all their hopes of winning against us if he is!

:machgun:

LOL football fan is a "victim"...LOL "Abuse" LOL

It's my opinion that the ONLY thing the powers that be care about at UT is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

The BOT, Admins and AD all know that UT has a rabid, Loyal footVol loving fanbase that will come to the games no matter what.

I still believe that if Butch had won at least 6 or 7 games this year he would still be here.

The TV $$$$ is now big enough that selling out seats in the stadium don't mean nearly as much as it used to.

Just spend $300 Million fixing up the stadium and people will still come and as long as UT makes $$$$ they won't care.

It makes me sick and a decade at Vandy level is NOT even close to what we, and they, should expect.

We should WIN the SEC East at least 5 to 7 times a decade, WIN the SEC at least 3 or 4 times a decade and WIN a National Championship at least 1 time a decade.

Those should be their goals and expectations simply because we ARE Tennessee!!!

VFL...GBO!!!

VN Store

Back