Doug Marrone

CAVPUT

Embracing the inner nega in all of us
His name keeps popping up here and there. Reportedly loves Knoxville, UT and the college game. Helluva OL coach. Knows the SEC and can point to the NFL which would carry weight with recruits....specifically Cade Mayes. Can't find his contract number, but the Jags paid his predecessor 3.5 Mil. He was due 4 mil from his previous NFL job. High character guy who has a tough, no nonsense, hard nosed attitude. Only question I can't answer is what kind of recruiter he was when at UT.

From all I've read on him, he looks like he'd be an excellent fit. Best of all and unlike Gruden, he appears to favor the college game vs the NFL. Sure looks like he fits our price point, too. We can and have done much worse.

His name keeps popping up here and there. Reportedly loves Knoxville, UT and the college game. Helluva OL coach. Knows the SEC and can point to the NFL which would carry weight with recruits....specifically Cade Mayes. Can't find his contract number, but the Jags paid his predecessor 3.5 Mil. He was due 4 mil from his previous NFL job. High character guy who has a tough, no nonsense, hard nosed attitude. Only question I can't answer is what kind of recruiter he was when at UT.

From all I've read on him, he looks like he'd be an excellent fit. Best of all and unlike Gruden, he appears to favor the college game vs the NFL. Sure looks like he fits our price point, too. We can and have done much worse.

Are we just naming random coaches now? He is pretty much a shoe-in to be NFL COTY and you think he would leave that and come to UT? Lol

Reactions: 5 people
Are we just naming random coaches now? He is pretty much a shoe-in to be NFL COTY and you think he would leave that and come to UT? Lol

Agreed. He is really going to leave Jacksonville after being named the full-time coach and actually turning them into a competitive team for once.

I agree he is in running to be NFL COTY.

I don’t think he is as interested as some might think but Money talks.

Also as some said if he prefers the College game, it really helps.

Harbaugh was a successful NFL coach but chose to go back to the college game.

Reactions: 1 person
How about Doug Pederson. Heard he was available and loved UT. I mean, the Eagles are 8-1 and rolling but he really wants to leave and coach UT.

Reactions: 1 person
I agree he is in running to be NFL COTY.

I don’t think he is as interested as some might think but Money talks.

Also as some said if he prefers the College game, it really helps.

Harbaugh was a successful NFL coach but chose to go back to the college game.

Harbaugh saw the writing on the wall with the 49ers and the timing was perfect. Marrone isnt getting fired this year. The only current NFL coach who remotely makes sense is John Harbaugh and even that is way out there.

Marrone is a good coach, but his tendency to constantly switch jobs would concern me a lot. He left Syracuse for the NFL. After being at the Bills for 2 years, he basically made a big gambit to try to get more money and failed. And if he left JAX for a college job, then he'd be switching teams again.

Just seems like the guy is never happy where he's at. And while he's been a "good coach", he's never proven he can be a "great coach" since he always abandons ship before he could ever reach that level.

Reactions: 2 people
i think he wanted the job in 09, and was breifly in the running? i think he was ultimately deemed too boring (not the direction they wanted right after Fulmer) and he went to Syarcuse.

i think it's safe to say he's proven to be a pretty good football coach. not sure you could get him out of the NFL now.

So he has the Jags in first place and he is gonna leave and go to UT. Dont think thats gonna happen. Why would he leave the NFL for all the NCAA rules. :no:

No. Heard several people who have said he wanted the job 5 years ago, that he was the guy if Sgt Carter hadn’t said yes. He’s coached at Tennessee before, has ties to the state (father in law is Boots Donnelly of MTSU). Mathews has talked him up. Timing is the issue with him since he’s an nfl guy.

Jags are finally good and he works for his good buddy tom coughlin seems like a sweet gig to me minus bortles being his qb

Yeah let’s hire a guy for one kid to MAYBE recomment.

Agreed. He is really going to leave Jacksonville after being named the full-time coach and actually turning them into a competitive team for once.

Not to derail the thread, but am I the only Titans fan who is pretty chapped that we passed on him for friggin Mularkey? I know that coaching search was an abomination, but he was one of like 4 names that came out. Even then, I wouldn't have hated that hire.

In response to the OP, no chance he comes here. Five years ago maybe, but he's carving a name for himself right where he's at.

Yeah let’s hire a guy for one kid to MAYBE recomment.

Is that comment the only thing you got from the post? I'm in the minority and have posted elsewhere that I'm not a huge Cade Mayes fan and won't sweat him going elsewhere. Having said that, I think a coach like Marrone would appeal to him and might influence his decision. It's a point of interest not the primary reason for signing him as a coach. Surely your reading skills are better than that? Then again....

VN Store

Back