Inherited a dumpster fire, left a dumpster fire...

A dumpster fire is what Dooley left - no talent. This team has plenty of talent and can be competitive next year with the right coaching staff.

Reactions: 10 people
You never know you is going to leave before next season...but assuming there is minimal attrition, he is leaving substantially more talent than he inherited...talent that needs a lot of coaching up and physical development...but there is no question it is a better roster talent wise than what he got

Reactions: 1 person
I will say while yes he left this team with better talent he also left it with a huge depth issue. That's what happens when you run off over 40 of your own recruits

Reactions: 4 people
A solid turd is Better than diarrhea, but at the end of the day it’s still s***

Reactions: 15 people
All that leading to possibly the worst season ever in Tennessee football history.

I can promise the talent is much better than when Butch got here. Our coaching is terrible. This is a nine or ten win team with a decent staff. Every game but Georgia and Bama have been winnable with a decent coach and staff.

Reactions: 3 people
Dooley left a dumpster fire with no talent.

Butch recruited well, so we have some talent on that team. Just struggled with the coaching piece of the puzzle.

I think there is enough talent on the team to bounce back pretty quick with a good coach. He also didn’t burn down recruiting pipelines over the coarse of his last year like Dooley did.

Jones worst season ended up being worse than Dooleys, let that marinate for a moment:)

Yet some think Gruden will dive right into this dumpster fire, head first:)

A dumpster fire is what Dooley left - no talent. This team has plenty of talent and can be competitive next year with the right coaching staff.

Plus NO NCAA black cloud, academics in good shape, and though under achieved two years previous to this, we got a glimpse with a few wins and a few close calls, how off the charts Neyland can be with winning coach. Coaches will see this. We won't have to go past our top 2-3 guys to get this done.

I agree Dooley left a mess, no OL in one recruiting class. But 5 years later Butch has OL problems and has had them since he has been here. You should see alot of improvement in year 5 of a coach season. But Butch was going in the wrong direction.

It would serve you well to see what Dooley had to put up with regarding having his coaches, and their recruiting efforts, weighed down by NCAA penalties. The carnage he took on was monumental.

I swear to God, it's like people have no understanding how we got where we are.

Dooley deserves a hell of a lot of respect. He took a job no one, and I mean NO ONE, would have touched with a ten foot pole, for a fanbase, that no top tier coach was going to leave a functioning program to come here and take the abuse.

The one constant, amongst all the changes with all the coaching, admin, NCAA issues, and athletic directors, is a vocal fanbase and media clique that is as clueless as it is loud.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 people
It would serve you well to see what Dooley had to put up with regarding having his coaches, and their recruiting efforts, weighed down by NCAA penalties. The carnage he took on was monumental.

I swear to God, it's like people have no understanding how we got where we are.

Dooley deserves a hell of a lot of respect. He took a job no one, and I mean NO ONE, would have touched with a ten foot pole, for a fanbase, that no top tier coach was going to leave a functioning program to come here and take the abuse.

The one constant, amongst all the changes with all the coaching, admin, NCAA issues, and athletic directors, is a vocal fanbase and media clique that is as clueless as it is loud.

You need to get over yourself. Butch left the program in much better shape than he took over. You are an idiot if you can't realize that.

Speaking of having no clue, your claim nobody and I mean nobody would have taken a job at UT is laughable.

Reactions: 2 people
Why does everyone think the talent is better now? All of the depth and most of the talent transferred or quit.

Because we do have good talent. Lack of development and injuries have plagued the team. I'm by no means saying we have the same as UGA or Bama, but we have enough to compete given the correct coaches.

I'm curious who you are referring to when you say "ALL" of the talent have quit or transferred. There is only one starter I can think of and I'm glad he's gone because he was a cancer.

Speaking of having no clue, your claim nobody and I mean nobody would have taken a job at UT is laughable.

Will Muschamp, Troy Calhoun, David Cutcliffe, Kyle Whittingham, Al Golden and Kevin Sumlin all turned it down before Dooley was offered the job.

Reactions: 2 people
No. He didn’t leave it in perfect shape but it’s in better shape
than he found it. It’s an attractive job now, it wasn’t 5 years ago.

No. He didn’t leave it in perfect shape but it’s in better shape
than he found it. It’s an attractive job now, it wasn’t 5 years ago.

And the academic issues are resolved as well. Folks seem to forget how close the football program was to incurring sanctions.

VN Store

Back