Guarantano, last 3 games

38 out of 59, 64.4%, 583 yards, 9.88 yards per pass, 1 TD, 0 Int. QBR - 153.

Those numbers don't look that bad. Id be willing to bet that at least 80% of his 64% is screen passes.

Its just hard to judge anything with our o-line status right now. All I know for sure is, he looks scared to death and slow when scrambling. Hopefully some blocking will help.

Reactions: 9 people
Where is the stat that shows how many times he's been sacked because he can't feel pressure or holds the ball too long. Yeah, I know our o-line stinks. But about half of his sacks are on him. Last night he completely fails to recognize the blitz coming from his right, then completely misses the fact he's coming at him unblocked, holds the ball and gets sacked. It's like he has on blinders.

Reactions: 8 people
Where is the stat that shows how many times he's been sacked because he can't feel pressure or holds the ball too long. Yeah, I know our o-line stinks. But about half of his sacks are on him. Last night he completely fails to recognize the blitz coming from his right, then completely misses the fact he's coming at him unblocked, holds the ball and gets sacked. It's like he has on blinders.

Exactly. I've wondered how in the hell he can't see these guys running right at him.

Reactions: 1 person
A healthy QD eye believe this season would be different, even with a bad oline

Would have made a bowl, Jones would still be roaming the sidelines. He was our best option. Even Jones knew it. Still i would have liked to see Dormady in there instead of Gaurantano.. Kid wasn't ready, should have been but wasn't..

Reactions: 1 person
Those numbers don't look that bad. Id be willing to bet that at least 80% of his 64% is screen passes.

Its just hard to judge anything with our o-line status right now. All I know for sure is, he looks scared to death and slow when scrambling. Hopefully some blocking will help.

Nearly 10 yards per pass attempt says otherwise.
Agree that our OL status is horrendous right now, yet JG has somehow managed to put up good numbers while being surrounded and inundated with disastrous conditions...... awful coaching, poor/inexperienced WRs and pitiful scheme being among those.

Reactions: 3 people
Those stats would be average at best over a two game stretch

Those stats include missing an entire half of football. No running game, no OL, poor WR play (think Josh Palmer), horrendous coaching and play calling.

I’ve criticized JG as well, not sure he’s a legit SEC QB at this point. But to say that the deck has been severely stacked against him at this point is a major understatement. He has outstanding arm talent, has displayed good leadership and he’s tough as hell. Still needs much development, including much better pocket awareness. But he’s shown much more promise than most of those on here who constantly say “he sucks” give him credit for.

Reactions: 5 people
38 out of 59, 64.4%, 583 yards, 9.88 yards per pass, 1 TD, 0 Int. QBR - 153.

I hope who ever the new coach is ( Mullen ) goes to the pro style offense. That way we will get 5 star QBs and WRs back to UT. That way it will open things up for our RBs. And i think the OL will even be better.

Reactions: 2 people
Nearly 10 yards per pass attempt says otherwise.
Agree that our OL status is horrendous right now, yet JG has somehow managed to put up good numbers while being surrounded and inundated with disastrous conditions...... awful coaching, poor/inexperienced WRs and pitiful scheme being among those.

He has gotten better each game he has played in. People talk about his lack of TD's which is fair but it is not like anyone on the team has been a scoring machine. It's part of a bigger problem. I thought he played a decent game last night. I wanted him to keep the ball a few more times on on some of the option plays but he is not 100 percent and was the only scholarship player we had left at QB. I also think without a taped together line and special teams play we could have won the game. JG is going to be a really good player in time if he keeps getting better.

Last edited:
Those stats include missing an entire half of football. No running game, no OL, poor WR play (think Josh Palmer), horrendous coaching and play calling.

I’ve criticized JG as well, not sure he’s a legit SEC QB at this point. But to say that the deck has been severely stacked against him at this point is a major understatement. He has outstanding arm talent, has displayed good leadership and he’s tough as hell. Still needs much development, including much better pocket awareness. But he’s shown much more promise than most of those on here who constantly say “he sucks” give him credit for.

Not arguing it’s a tough row to hoe, but he’s not done anything to show he’s the best an either. I disagree that he’s got a good arm (I’m assuming your Butchism “arm talent” means arm strength and accuracy, aka good arm). He’s not shown that he sucks or that he’s got this so called promise you’re speaking of. His pocket awareness is still awful. At least some of that is the fault of his Oline though. One thing that did stand out last night was he was the first guy trying to motivate Calloway.

I don’t get everyone wanting him to be QB next year. You make fun of CBJ for bad decisions but JG doesn’t play with confidence at all. He holds the ball for a long time and is willing to take a sack. Not to mention how slow he is running.
McBride might not be as accurate but he’s faster on his feet, has a quick release, plays with confidence, and doesn’t want to take a sack (elusive). The rest usually can be taught.

I’m not saying JG isn’t our QB next year and McBride is but I’m baffled at everyone defending someone with stone legs who has clearly no inner clock about check downs and looks like he’s not relaxed.

Bad oline or not you can see a difference between the two when they enter a game. No defending on that part.

Not arguing it’s a tough row to hoe, but he’s not done anything to show he’s the best an either. I disagree that he’s got a good arm (I’m assuming your Butchism “arm talent” means arm strength and accuracy, aka good arm). He’s not shown that he sucks or that he’s got this so called promise you’re speaking of. His pocket awareness is still awful. At least some of that is the fault of his Oline though. One thing that did stand out last night was he was the first guy trying to motivate Calloway.

“Arm talent” ain’t remotely a Butchism, otherwise I never would’ve typed it. “Throw game” is a (ridiculous) Butchism, “arm talent” is not.

And how can you watch that kid throw and say he doesn’t have a live, accurate arm. Agree his pocket awareness is still below par and I’d add that he’s just not an athletic runner in the mold of Dobbs, that much is clear....he wants to stay in the pocket and throw, which is what he does best. I think a legit qb coach, not a part-time GA or former Utah State running backs coach, could help this kid immensely....not to mention a legit Division I Offensive scheme.

And we’ll just agree to disagree about his “promise”....I think it’s there, you don’t, to each his own.

I don’t get everyone wanting him to be QB next year. You make fun of CBJ for bad decisions but JG doesn’t play with confidence at all. He holds the ball for a long time and is willing to take a sack. Not to mention how slow he is running.
McBride might not be as accurate but he’s faster on his feet, has a quick release, plays with confidence, and doesn’t want to take a sack (elusive). The rest usually can be taught.

I’m not saying JG isn’t our QB next year and McBride is but I’m baffled at everyone defending someone with stone legs who has clearly no inner clock about check downs and looks like he’s not relaxed.

Bad oline or not you can see a difference between the two when they enter a game. No defending on that part.

You guys kill me. You see a scrub, 3rd string qb play poorly vs one of the worst defenses (Missouri) in the country, including committing 3 turnovers, in a 50-17 blowout loss....but because he took off with his 5.1 speed on a play untouched until he was nearly 45 yards downfield, all of a sudden he’s the answer at QB for the future.

Meanwhile, JG, while still far from a polished SEC QB, puts up solid, at times excellent passing numbers, vs some much better defenses than Mizzou, and guys on here would be good with Tennessee pulling his scholarship.

Alright then, everyone entitled to his own opinion.

Reactions: 3 people
You guys kill me. You see a scrub, 3rd string qb play poorly vs one of the worst defenses (Missouri) in the country, including committing 3 turnovers, in a 50-17 blowout loss....but because he took off with his 5.1 speed on a play untouched until he was nearly 45 yards downfield, all of a sudden he’s the answer at QB for the future.

Meanwhile, JG, while still far from a polished SEC QB, puts up solid, at times excellent passing numbers, vs some much better defenses than Mizzou, and guys on here would be good with Tennessee pulling his scholarship.

Alright then, everyone entitled to his own opinion.

Get over yourself! Never said McBride was the answer or that JG wasn’t but I did say you can see a lot of flaws in JG. Only way he plays good is with a lot and I mean a lot of coaching and a perfect oline. Just my opinion and no need to cry about it.

“Arm talent” ain’t remotely a Butchism, otherwise I never would’ve typed it. “Throw game” is a (ridiculous) Butchism, “arm talent” is not.

And how can you watch that kid throw and say he doesn’t have a live, accurate arm. Agree his pocket awareness is still below par and I’d add that he’s just not an athletic runner in the mold of Dobbs, that much is clear....he wants to stay in the pocket and throw, which is what he does best. I think a legit qb coach, not a part-time GA or former Utah State running backs coach, could help this kid immensely....not to mention a legit Division I Offensive scheme.

And we’ll just agree to disagree about his “promise”....I think it’s there, you don’t, to each his own.

His arm strength is good, nothing to write home about though. There’s nothing showing he’s really accurate other than he’s better at accuracy than Dobbs.

Saying he’d improve under a good an coach and OC is a no brained. FWIW, Dormady could be a Heisman hopeful in a pro style system with a good line and solid TEs

At the beginning of the season we all saw that the oline was going to be a problem. #1 QB played behind the best of what we had and was a turnover waiting to happen. He didnt take many sacks but gave the ball away too many times. As the season continued the oline injuries started stacking up. Ultimately injury cost QD his season.

Second half of the season we have a beat up oline that was an even worse. #2 QB makes first start and the sacks mount. Redshirt freshman that is immature and most likely not ready to take the starting roll but shows toughness and does not turn the ball over. But once again we lose JG to injury. Fortunately it did not cost him the whole season.

Tale end of season oline is depleted. #3 QB shows up and has a great spark in the run game. But once again we have a guy who is a turnover waiting to happen. He showed great signs with his instinct to run but he would not make it though two games unless he puts on about 20 lbs of muscle. Ohhhh wait, he didnt make through two games before he was sidelined with a head injury. WM has a long way to go.

I try to be fair in observation but it seems to me that the best option going into 2018 is JG. It is hard to make an accurate choice based on the game situations that each of them has had to deal with but you can not turn the ball over in this league. For comparison look back at Alabama pre Jalen Hurts. They never asked their QB to win games. They wanted a manager of offense who would not turn it over.

VN Store

Back