Is Currie(UT) trolling Gruden for publicity??

madbamahater

This is a legit question I am wondering about. There is zero mention from the Hill about the search. All of the Knoxville media is at odds with each other in regards to who is right and who has "the scoop". It seems they are all just in the dark like the rest of us.

With Gruden to UT rumors (Grumors) swirling everywhere and basically everyday for this past week and beyond, could Currie be the one trolling Gruden?

We all know Gruden loves the attention and it's great for his overall brand (himself) to be circulating around all media....,it too is great for UTs brand to be constantly talked about and dominating headlines.

While the vast majority of these Grumors are fueled by our idiotic fanbase (people like me) there has been nothing, NOTHING from the AD to put of the flames. Nothing to put the Grumors to bed.

In fact, it seems some things have been almost deliberately "leaked" (so to speak) to some fairly reputable Knoxville media who have put out what appears to be pretty blatant misdirection.

I think it's all being purposefully and strategically done from within and not so much by Gruden.

This article basically states what we all know to be reasonable and rational. In a nutshell why would ANY team or organization want to hire a guy who simply hasn't coached in nearly 10 years?

Tennessee has serious concerns about Jon Gruden as a coaching candidate - CBSSports.com

Reactions: 2 people
This is a legit question I am wondering about. There is zero mention from the Hill about the search. All of the Knoxville media is at odds with each other in regards to who is right and who has "the scoop". It seems they are all just in the dark like the rest of us.

With Gruden to UT rumors (Grumors) swirling everywhere and basically everyday for this past week and beyond, could Currie be the one trolling Gruden?

We all know Gruden loves the attention and it's great for his overall brand (himself) to be circulating around all media....,it too is great for UTs brand to be constantly talked about and dominating headlines.

While the vast majority of these Grumors are fueled by our idiotic fanbase (people like me) there has been nothing, NOTHING from the AD to put of the flames. Nothing to put the Grumors to bed.

In fact, it seems some things have been almost deliberately "leaked" (so to speak) to some fairly reputable Knoxville media who have put out what appears to be pretty blatant misdirection.

I think it's all being purposefully and strategically done from within and not so much by Gruden.

This article basically states what we all know to be reasonable and rational. In a nutshell why would ANY team or organization want to hire a guy who simply hasn't coached in nearly 10 years?

Tennessee has serious concerns about Jon Gruden as a coaching candidate - CBSSports.com

If I remember correctly, Currie was pretty clear at his presser that he would be quiet until the search/hire was complete and anything we hear till then is pure speculation and rumor.

Personally, I feel like gruden is in play until it's made public by him that he's not interested

Reactions: 6 people
Yes and could be smoke screen to throw off UF, just like Kelly could be the same for UF. Spurrier said he's almost certain their next coach is coaching this weekend...though more than likely Its nothing more than it appears.

I just feel like at this point this thing has taken on a life of its own. Its not local shows talking about it, it is the national media. Every time you hear the word Tennessee in the Sports Media right now you hear Gruden news, some is good but mostly its a swat at our program. Its become a joke and the levels of belief that this is "done" amaze me personally.

With that said I DO NOT see any upside to letting this go on if there is indeed no mutual interest in what most think is a far fetched remote possibility. I know Gruden likes the attention and the more times his name is mentioned in the media the more marketable he becomes but at this point the AD needs to say something. Not for me, not for anyone in particular but for the Fan Base who will have a fairly significant vocal percentage that will not be happy with the hire of anyone else.

If one has the view point that there is little to no chance that Gruden will come to UT or coach in college at all how does one reconcile that with almost every talk show call in on every show and every mention of UT having a Gruden joke embedded in it yet the AD has not issued anything to quell the talk? Makes you wonder. I believe we have a very solid AD as compared to his two predecessors but if he lets this go on without saying anything and trots out Norvell or another up and comer that has proven very little but has a huge up side people will lose it lol.

Reactions: 3 people
I just feel like at this point this thing has taken on a life of its own. Its not local shows talking about it, it is the national media. Every time you hear the word Tennessee in the Sports Media right now you hear Gruden news, some is good but mostly its a swat at our program. Its become a joke and the levels of belief that this is "done" amaze me personally.

With that said I DO NOT see any upside to letting this go on if there is indeed no mutual interest in what most think is a far fetched remote possibility. I know Gruden likes the attention and the more times his name is mentioned in the media the more marketable he becomes but at this point the AD needs to say something. Not for me, not for anyone in particular but for the Fan Base who will have a fairly significant vocal percentage that will not be happy with the hire of anyone else.

If one has the view point that there is little to no chance that Gruden will come to UT or coach in college at all how does one reconcile that with almost every talk show call in on every show and every mention of UT having a Gruden joke embedded in it yet the AD has not issued anything to quell the talk? Makes you wonder. I believe we have a very solid AD as compared to his two predecessors but if he lets this go on without saying anything and trots out Norvell or another up and comer that has proven very little but has a huge up side people will lose it lol.

Agreed. Gruden has absolutely stoked the flames.

I don't believe Curry is "trolling" anybody. He flat out said we wouldn't hear anything from him until a coach is hired. I think he is simply trying to land the best coach he can get and all these "leaked" rumors and hype are mostly the result of outsiders and our own desire to finally have a real baller running the show...
The CBS piece is probably just one person's opinion and they ran with it like it was gospel....hey, haters gonna hate and people are gonna play off that desire we have. You think other SEC teams or ESPN want us to get Gruden? Hell no they don't!! and as far as Gruden goes, 90% of Volnation would love to have a guy like him running our program because he is an offensive guy with undeniable passion for football and coaching people up...waiting is the hardest part!!!! If he wants to come here I believe Curry will hire him without question. The past is the past and I don't believe it will have any part to play in this hire..we have the facilities, the players, the tradition, and a boat-load of $$ this time around to get a true leader..Currie stepped-up and removed Butch so I know he wants success..we just need to stay calm and stop getting worked up over all the dinky reports and the actual trolling other teams' fans are spitting out daily..trust in Currie until he himself gives us reason not to..GO VOLS!

Reactions: 3 people
If I remember correctly, Currie was pretty clear at his presser that he would be quiet until the search/hire was complete and anything we hear till then is pure speculation and rumor.

Personally, I feel like gruden is in play until it's made public by him that he's not interested

Yep but the fans are wanting daily briefings. They deserve to be informed. No, the demand it. Fire Currie.

There is no way, no way, this would end well for Currie if this is what he was doing. Building up the expectations of the fan base is a good way of alienating the fan base once anyone not named Gruden is hired. It would be the worst publicity stunt in the history of college athletics.

Reactions: 1 person
Everyone stay calm and let this play out...If it doesn't go our way, we can all burn mattresses then...LOL.

The only ones trolling are the people on here who have to interject Gruden in to every topic.

In all honesty it is hard not to have this happen when the AD is silent about the issue, Gruden is obviously not denying the rumors and "insiders" say its done.

If it were just on the forums it would be one thing but as I said before I have not heard one radio show or watched one CFB broadcast show and heard Tennessee mentioned without the word Gruden in the same sentence.

I do not think it is within reason that he comes here at this point personally but cannot for the life of me understand why someone does not issue a statement or something to stop the madness assuming it is not in the realm of possibility.

Maybe Peyton is trolling everyone and never used all 4 years of elegibility and faked playing in the pros so he could revitalize the fan base by coming back to play one more year!!!!

All I know for sure is that the University of Tennessee is being mentioned on just about every national media site related to sports and some that are not just sports sites. It's not negative publicity really and although I get pissed when these idots sports casters say we are 2nd tier program this has to be good for recruiting. The AD better make a good hire to take advantage of all this publicity...

Its amazing how manyntrolls are trying to "prove" gruden isnt possibility with this being said.
I personally believe theynare just insecure people and trying to not get hopes bc they will "get hurt"
Sad life

Maybe Gruden and Currie both doing a little trolling. If I was an 18 year old recruit the name Gruden would get my attention!

In all honesty it is hard not to have this happen when the AD is silent about the issue, Gruden is obviously not denying the rumors and "insiders" say its done.

If it were just on the forums it would be one thing but as I said before I have not heard one radio show or watched one CFB broadcast show and heard Tennessee mentioned without the word Gruden in the same sentence.

I do not think it is within reason that he comes here at this point personally but cannot for the life of me understand why someone does not issue a statement or something to stop the madness assuming it is not in the realm of possibility.

It's pretty simple; Currie isn't going to come out and say "We're going after Gruden" because no AD has ever publicly stated who they are going after. Gruden isn't going to come out and deny it because all the attention is great for his bottom line.

I've seen people who claim to be insiders saying it's a done deal. Funny it's the same ones who were saying the same thing in 2012. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

I've seen people who claim to be insiders saying it's a done deal. Funny it's the same ones who were saying the same thing in 2012. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

Agreed. I got caught up in the 2012 debacle pretty bad but not this time. The "insiders" are not even saying plain facts its more cryptic stuff like "The whale has grown wings" and "A bird has pocket aces" then hundreds of people trying to figure out what it means. I will admit I finally had to ignore the thread to keep from looking at it all day. It will suck you in and the concept of "Group Think" is very real lol.

I make no bones about it I would LOVE to have Jon Gruden as the next HC at UT but I would also like to win Powerball tonight and I think the odds of both are roughly the same.

VN Store

Back