Ed Orgeron interview on 99.1

MurphyVol

Great interview with Ed and Hyams. JH asked some point blank questions about how he left UT and if he had any regrets, etc.

CEO danced around a bit, but said what he missed most was the people (Vol Walk, people stopping you on the street, etc)

He went on to say it absolutely is a top CFB job. He said he and Lane took a map and made a dot on Knoxville, then made a circle that was a 5 hour radius. He said they were astonished at the talent in that area and said it is a recruiters dream. Combined with facilities, he'd put it up as one of the top jobs in the country.

Reactions: 3 people
So why are we having such a miserable time hiring a great coach? Even more....why do I see us with Hoke as the head coach every time I see Ogre's name? :(

So why are we having such a miserable time hiring a great coach? Even more....why do I see us with Hoke as the head coach every time I see Ogre's name? :(

Most schools have a hard time with this. Of the "hot" coaches, one has ties to Nebraska, one is a pipe dream and the other is being pursued by UF and may also have his eye on a west coast job.

The biggest bust of a hire in UT history is Mike Hamilton. We'll see if Currie can completely wipe away the stench of failure Mike saddled us with.

Not going to bash or praise Currie until I see who steps up to the podium.

Reactions: 7 people

Because our University is known for policy makers that loathe football. It’s taken years to fix some massive flaws. Hart had to cut off Cheek’s access to football money. The academic side was robbing the AD blind. That was a big reason there wasn’t money to hire a big name coach.

Reactions: 2 people

Probably because based on our history you’re expecting the worst. There is ZERO chance Hoke is retained as HC. Orgeron had (I️ think) 6 games and I️t was his dream job. Completely different situation here. Currie knows fans would never accept that.

Reactions: 1 person

Who says we're having a hard time hiring a coach? We have to let it play out. Lots of good reasons why we're waiting until after Vandy to announce.

Reactions: 2 people

Name all the times you can ever remember a new coach being hired prior to the end of a football season. I can't think of very many.

It only seems bad because you've followed the lead up to the firing and all the rumors.

Reactions: 4 people
Name all the times you can ever remember a new coach being hired prior to the end of a football season. I can't think of very many.

It only seems bad because you've followed the lead up to the firing and all the rumors.

100% this. It doesn't happen in-season.

Because our University is known for policy makers that loathe football. It’s taken years to fix some massive flaws. Hart had to cut off Cheek’s access to football money. The academic side was robbing the AD blind. That was a big reason there wasn’t money to hire a big name coach.

pretty good gig when you can steal from the blind and get away with it...where do I sign up...:eek:lol:

PS. been a goat rope since Coach Fulmer was fired...:blink:

GO VOLS!

I mean Orgeron is a recruiter. He knows how to find and evalute talent. Its true. Between ATL, Nashville, NC there is talent around we just need the leadership and football minds to helps us break through

Don't be so dramatic. From the time when Butch was fired it's going to be a few weeks before anything is announced.

who says we are this time? the last 3 you chock that up to hart and hammy.

whether we get gruden or not, i do feel that currie is in way more control of this particular situation than either of the last two. and he has the benefit of the program being a lot more stable. there's a lot to seel here, and it appears that our ducks are in a row.

Same reason LSU hires Orgeron. Power 5 coaches don’t want to leave their jobs b to come to the SEC.

Good observation and great answer.

Great interview with Ed and Hyams. JH asked some point blank questions about how he left UT and if he had any regrets, etc.

CEO danced around a bit, but said what he missed most was the people (Vol Walk, people stopping you on the street, etc)

He went on to say it absolutely is a top CFB job. He said he and Lane took a map and made a dot on Knoxville, then made a circle that was a 5 hour radius. He said they were astonished at the talent in that area and said it is a recruiters dream. Combined with facilities, he'd put it up as one of the top jobs in the country.

And that was 10 years ago before the growth in the Mid State area. There certainly is talent close to UT but it's not all in state like in Florida.

Most schools have a hard time with this. Of the "hot" coaches, one has ties to Nebraska, one is a pipe dream and the other is being pursued by UF and may also have his eye on a west coast job.

The biggest bust of a hire in UT history is Mike Hamilton. We'll see if Currie can completely wipe away the stench of failure Mike saddled us with.

No podium! No time for wasting at a press conference. Just a film crew on the UT jet going live with our new guy stretching his new UT shirt on as he's heading to the airport nearest Case Mays home. Once he's back in the gold, then they can tag along as he goes down the list landing the #1 recruiting class in the nation.

Full Q&A after NSD.

Top jobs require top money think we have finally realized this after bargain shopping for the last three coaches.

LSU fan Jimmy giving his guy some spotlight on the "official station for the Vols".

Maybe Ogre will take him back to Louisiana with him.

And that was 10 years ago before the growth in the Mid State area. There certainly is talent close to UT but it's not all in state like in Florida.

Yep, and Ed pointed that out, said something like "even better now with what's happening mid-state"

The right guy can win big here

Last edited:

Maybe because our fans want a coach that is no longer a coach?

Completely agree! Doug Dickey took our program (& atheletics department) to the pinnacle & Mike Hamilton came in behind him & shoved it off the edge!!

Last edited:
No podium! No time for wasting at a press conference. Just a film crew on the UT jet going live with our new guy stretching his new UT shirt on as he's heading to the airport nearest Case Mays home. Once he's back in the gold, then they can tag along as he goes down the list landing the #1 recruiting class in the nation.

Full Q&A after NSD.

Cade (C A D E) Mays is a short flight. It's not too far from UT to Knoxville. There is time for a podium announcement.

GO BIG ORANGE!

VN Store

Back