Mark Dantonio

ERvolsfan

I saw some rumors that he's interested in this job. I would like your thoughts.

If it's true that he's interested in this job he's a guy I would gladly take. Always known for having physical teams and strong defense. He runs a pro style offense. His teams put players into the pros.

I actually would really like if he was hired. He's a good man tough blue collar type that would fit in well here. He's also a guy who respects tradition.

I would take Patterson first but Dantonio wouldn't be far behind, much better than most of these up n comer types. He's a name that would most would say good hire.

Reactions: 5 people
No.

Already been sidelined in the past for heart attack issues

3rd to 4th best in weaker big 10 conference

Strong on the defensive side, but ugly offensively

Reactions: 2 people
I think he’s a great coach that gets the most out of his players and staff. Personally I think he would be a great choice.

Reactions: 1 person
He's an interesting choice. South Carolina alum. Won 3 big 10 titles. Bret Bielema also won 3. If Gruden, Scott, Kelly, Patterson, and Mullen turned us down, then maybe.

I like Dantonio but don’t see him leaving. Doesn’t he also have a history of heart problems? With the stress and demands of this job, I just can’t see that being a wise choice for him.

Reactions: 1 person
I love Dantonio, but he's the defensive version of Coach Cut. Great coordinator who will have an occasional monster season, but otherwise typically hangs in the middle of the pack.

The guy is .683 at M ST through 11 years.

Over the past 7 seasons his team has won at least 11 games 5 times.

In 3 of the past 4 seasons they have finished: 3rd, 5th, and 6th......and has 2 top 15 finishes in the 3 seasons prior to that.

What is not to like.

Reactions: 4 people
This could be an under-the-radar hire that pays huge dividends. When you consider his record, you also have to look at his players and who he's recruiting against. He's basically taking 3 stars not recruited by Michigan, Ohio St. and Penn St., and developing them into a competitive team. I think his recruiting advantage at UT > Mich State.

I love Dantonio, but he's the defensive version of Coach Cut. Great coordinator who will have an occasional monster season, but otherwise typically hangs in the middle of the pack.

He's done a lot more at MSU than Saban ever did.
Some schools have a ceiling, like Mississippi State. I'm not sure why so many people can't grasp this.

Reactions: 3 people
another at the end of their career...naw...don't wanna see a coach die on the sideline...wouldn't fit here...we can do better...:)

GO VOLS!

His coaching style is suited for the Big 10 & not sure it would translate to the Sec...See CBB @ Arkansas

The guy is .683 at M ST through 11 years.

Over the past 7 seasons his team has won at least 11 games 5 times.

In 3 of the past 4 seasons they have finished: 3rd, 5th, and 6th......and has 2 top 15 finishes in the 3 seasons prior to that.

What is not to like.

Dantonio Has done better at MSU than Saban did. Then Saban goes south where recruiting hotbeds reside, rest history minus NS failed NFL romp.

No.

Already been sidelined in the past for heart attack issues

3rd to 4th best in weaker big 10 conference

Strong on the defensive side, but ugly offensively

Ohio State, Michigan, and Penn State are huge traditional powers. Considering the resources at MSU, being 3rd or 4th is no small feat. MSU is not a traditional power, they are like the Ole Miss of the Big Ten with a worse recruiting base. They share a state with Michigan, a team Dantonio owns. East Lansing may not be the most popular place for recruits to go either. Even Saban couldn't win big at MSU.

Let me just say I hope you guys don't hire Dantonio.

Dantonio is a very good coach but I would expect Tennessee to go with a younger, higher energy guy at this point.

Plus you gotta ask yourself is he using Tennessee to get one last big contract, one way or the other. Health issues concerns me.

VN Store

Back