Fulmer on his teams in a playoff era

Says it would have been 5 playoff appearances in 7 years from 1995-2001.

Fulmer

Hopefully they would have played better than most of the bowl games from Fulmer's years. Heck I thought we were gonna lose to Miss St in SEC championship game for 3 quarters after looking like crap against Auburn and barely winning the previous year with Peyton.

Reactions: 1 person
Says it would have been 5 playoff appearances in 7 years from 1995-2001.

Fulmer

Oh my god, can this man be any more delusional? He won 2 SEC titles and lost with his best team in 2001 to a heavy underdog missing their QB and best back. Sorry Phil, this revisionist nonsense won't play with UT fans. :good!:

Reactions: 3 people
Crazy how such a large portion of our fanbase still refuses to acknowledge how good of a coach he was. I hope we can get the program back to this level soon.

Reactions: 31 people
He won 2 SEC titles and lost with his best team in 2001 to a heavy underdog missing their QB and best back.

That 2001 team was awesome, no doubt. I don't know that I'd say they were better than the 1998 team or even the 1995 team but that is an intriguing thought. They were great. That loss to LSU is still sickening after all these years.

Hopefully they would have played better than most of the bowl games from Fulmer's years. Heck I thought we were gonna lose to Miss St in SEC championship game for 3 quarters after looking like crap against Auburn and barely winning the previous year with Peyton.

Yea, Fulmer was terrible. Heaven forbid we get a coach that loses games as much as he did.

Reactions: 3 people
1995 yes
1996 no
1997 yes
1998 yes
1999 no
2000 no
2001 no

3 is more like it. 1995, 1997 and 1998 are the only seasons that Tennessee finished the season with less than 2 losses and/or inside the top 4 prior to the bowl game.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 people
I personally love Phil

However he is wrong.

Tennessee would have been in the playoff 3 times.

95, 97, and 98

In 96 they were ranked 9th pre bowl
In 99 they were ranked 5th pre bowl.....with no chance to improve based on a playoff system.....two teams undefeated, Neb 11-1, and Bama beat FL in the championship game to drop FL and go ahead of Tennessee.
In 2001 Tennessee was 6th pre bowl. Tennessee could prove that with a playoff system but only as high is 5th because Miami was 12-0 with a conf win, Neb was 11-1 with a conf win, Colorado was 10-2 and 4th before Tennessee lost to LSU.......best Tennessee could do after the loss would been 5th.

Oh my god, can this man be any more delusional? He won 2 SEC titles and lost with his best team in 2001 to a heavy underdog missing their QB and best back. Sorry Phil, this revisionist nonsense won't play with UT fans. :good!:

You know it and I know it, but these boys who want to bear his love child just don't get it.

Crazy how such a large portion of our fanbase still refuses to acknowledge how good of a coach he was. I hope we can get the program back to this level soon.

Screw that, I want it to be a helluva lot stronger. Even stronger than it was in Fulmer's own mind.

That 2001 team was awesome, no doubt. I don't know that I'd say they were better than the 1998 team or even the 1995 team but that is an intriguing thought. They were great. That loss to LSU is still sickening after all these years.

The 98' team wasn't that great. Minus all the miracles they were 9-3 at best.

That level is completely foreign to us nowadays. We can only read about it or watch other schools do it.

Reactions: 4 people
The 98' team wasn't that great. Minus all the miracles they were 9-3 at best.

Arkansas was screwy, but it was a turnover somewhat created by the defense. Syracuse was a 50/50 PI call at the end, but not real "miraculous". Other than that, what's the 3rd game?

That Miami team though woulda been a classic

Yea I think biggest loss in Tennessee history was to that LSU team.

That 2001 Tennessee team was loaded with talent.

Henderson
Haynesworth
Stallworth
Weary
Overstreet
Stevens
Lott
Coleman
Gaines
Stevenson
Baker
Bartholomew
Battle
Brunette
Clausen
Colquitt
Davis
Fleming
Greer
Hand
Huston
M Jones
Ofenheusle
Parker
Washington
Wells
Witten

Reactions: 2 people
This is an interesting topic that I’ve thought of before. I agree, we probably would’ve only been in the playoff 3 years, but we would’ve made the group of 6 bowls several more times. I’m thinking 7 maybe 8 times including 3 playoffs. Would his tenure be thought of much differently if postseason was like it is today?

Arkansas was screwy, but it was a turnover somewhat created by the defense. Syracuse was a 50/50 PI call at the end, but not real "miraculous". Other than that, what's the 3rd game?

Wrong, Syracuse was a miracle we got that "50/50" call in the last seconds in the Dome. You conveniently forgot about the fumble Al Wilson covered in the end zone and the chip shot Florida missed to give us the OT win. I won't even get into the MSU game or drawing FSU's backup. And no, the Arkansas thing was not created by the defense. Sheez.

1995 yes
1996 no
1997 yes
1998 yes
1999 no
2000 no
2001 no

3 is more like it. 1995, 1997 and 1998 are the only seasons that Tennessee finished the season with less than 2 losses and/or inside the top 4 prior to the bowl game.

Actually you missed 1993. We were 9-1-1 prior to the bowl and ranked fifth. The tie to Alabama was later forfeited.
Sorry, I see you said and/or in the top four

Last edited:
Wrong, Syracuse was a miracle we got that "50/50" call in the last seconds in the Dome. You conveniently forgot about the fumble Al Wilson covered in the end zone and the chip shot Florida missed to give us the OT win. I won't even get into the MSU game or drawing FSU's backup. And no, the Arkansas thing was not created by the defense. Sheez.

Lol... a 35 yard "chip shot" that would've only tied the game "gave" us the win.

MSU did literally nothing all night then ran back a punt before we came to Life and won.

And how lucky was it that we did most of that with maybe the player on the team on crutches?

Go to bed.

Reactions: 4 people

Wow, I never realized how horrible UT football has been all these years. Times were bad even when they were good. Can you now tell me how bad the General’s teams actually were?

Total BS. He couldn't beat Florida often enough to do any of that. Horrific loss to LSU in SEC championship showed his true colors as a leader.

If only we didn't play Florida so early in the season back in those days. The year the game got delayed due to a Hurricane showed we were much more prepared to play the Gators later in the season.

We have the stupidest fan base ever! This shows how low the football IQ is on Volnation.

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back