Personnel That Vols should keep!

"Helping" the new coach pick his staff is kind of the opposite of what we want to do. Get the right head coach, and let him choose his assistants. Period.

Thank all the current coaches for serving the University of Tennessee, and give special thanks to those you think did best. But no petitioning the new head coach about them.

Reactions: 9 people
Charlton Warren. One of the best DB coaches in the nation. We were lucky to get him.

I wouldn't have an issue with keeping Gillespie (consistently been good here) or Hoke either. Wouldn't mind keeping Shoop as DC if the new coach wants him, but wouldn't be devastated if we made a change either. But aside from Gillespie, we absolutely need to can all the other offensive coaches.

Reactions: 5 people
Crucify me if you want but I think we should keep Shoop!!

If we hire Mullen, Gundy, Frost, etc type I agree. I would love to see him have the benefit of a competent offense.

Hoke and Gillespie I'd like to see stay as well. Maybe Warren. Rest can kick rocks.

Reactions: 3 people
I'm not complaining but genuinely curious how we can tell that Warren has done such a great job when people don't have to pass to beat us. Just run all day.

Btw I've been working two jobs. Haven't gotten to watch nearly enough of UT this year

Personally, If Currie hires a top tier coach, that coach should have absolute say in who his coordinators and assistants will be, because HIS job will be on the line if they are not up to the task.

Reactions: 2 people
Charlton Warren. One of the best DB coaches in the nation. We were lucky to get him.

I wouldn't have an issue with keeping Gillespie (consistently been good here) or Hoke either. Wouldn't mind keeping Shoop as DC if the new coach wants him, but wouldn't be devastated if we made a change either. But aside from Gillespie, we absolutely need to can all the other offensive coaches.

I totally agree about Warren. He is arguably one of the best position coaches in the nation among all positions.

Last year Tennessee was 65th in passing D. This year Tennessee is 5th. I know everyone will say it is because everyone runs.....which is kind of true.....but everyone ran on Tennessee last year as well. Tennessee also holds opponents to around 50% completions and kept one of the best QBs to under 50%. Tennessee also holds QBs to a 50 qbr one of the best in the nation.

A one year fluke maybe.......Warren has gotten Air Force, Nebraska, and North Carolina all to these same kind of standards. He has also improved every D he has been on to 14th in the nation by year one.

Reactions: 1 person
Gillespie and Thigpen! These Guys are great at what they do, not to mention Great Recruiters

Thig gotta go. His LB corps has been awful/woefully undeveloped since he’s been here.

Definitely keep Coach G if possible.

the only one that you would put money on is Gillespie. i think long odds on Hoke, Warren and Shoop.

and depending on who it is, and what staff they currently have, likely they all go.

No one. Honestly, no one had gotten better. Everyone says Gilespe, but Hurd, Kamara was beast. Kelly is better than avg. Wrs did not improve. The whole defense sucks. Offense sucks besides Jennings and Kelly

Reactions: 1 person
I'm not complaining but genuinely curious how we can tell that Warren has done such a great job when people don't have to pass to beat us. Just run all day.

Btw I've been working two jobs. Haven't gotten to watch nearly enough of UT this year

Did you see KY, MO, Vandy and others running 400 yards on Tennessee last year? Yet Tennessee was ranked 65th in passing D. This yeast teams still run on Tennessee.....still........but the passing D is ranked 5th.

This year Tennessee holds QBs to around 50% completions and to around 50 qbr.

Last year Tennessee held QBs to 57% and around a 60 qbr.

Gillespie and Thigpen! These Guys are great at what they do, not to mention Great Recruiters

New coach will make that decision, but personally I would not keep any of them. They must go too. Clean house with a broom. Sweep out the old and bring in the new. Nothing personal, just business...

VN Store

Back