Tennessee And Florida Need Big Name Coaches, Or SEC Won't Change At All

Franklin Pierce

Tennessee needs to make a splash with its next hire. So does Florida. Now, three questions persist in the aftermath of the respective tenures of Butch Jones and Jim McElwain.

Who makes the first splash? Who makes the bigger splash? And will any of that change the nature of the SEC East — or the SEC in its entirety?

The best answer to all three questions is to hire the big name. Multiple reports have linked Chip Kelly to the Florida job. SEC County's Mike Griffith likes Florida State's Jimbo Fisher as a potential candidate at Tennessee.

These are big, bold moves: exactly what each program needs.

"I think it's as important for Tennessee to make the right hire now as it was for Alabama after Mike Shula,” Griffith told Sporting News. "The job is attractive now. It wasn't in 2012, it wasn't after Phillip Fulmer, the timeline was so short. Same thing after Derek Dooley. It's not like this time."

Forget about this season. Tennessee is 4-6, and Florida is 3-6. They've combined for a 3-11 record in the SEC, but this isn't a new trend. Since 2010, the Vols are 50-48 with three winning seasons and no 10-win seasons. Florida is 59-40 with six winning seasons and two winning seasons in the same stretch. The Vols are now on their fourth head coach since Fulmer retired. The Gators are now on their third since Urban Meyer left after the 2010 season. It's time to make that big hire.

Florida, Tennessee need big-name coaches now, or SEC won't change at all | NCAA Football | Sporting News

Last edited:
can't do this anymore...just gonna hibernate on the subject and wait and see who gets the brass ring...talk amongst yourselves...:)...and, as always...

GO VOLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tennessee needs a great coach who can take the program to the next (championship) level. Who really cares who Florida gets? As far as I'm concerned they can get Butch Jones and encourage him to make the Gators "Champions For Life - One Brick at a Time..."

don't want Schiano. 68-67 career record at Rutgers. 28-48 in the conference. no thanks.

To each his own......

But reconize if your going off just record realize he had most of those losses building that program from a 1-2 win season run of 10+ years

Turned that program around so impressively that HE GOT A NFL HEAD COACHING JOB FROM IT!

Before how did that go??? Exactly like Nick Saban's

Reactions: 1 person
To each his own......

But reconize if your going off just record realize he had most of those losses building that program from a 1-2 win season run of 10+ years

Turned that program around so impressively that HE GOT A NFL HEAD COACHING JOB FROM IT!

Before how did that go??? Exactly like Nick Saban's

yeah he lasted 2 seasons in the NFL and was 11-21. his second year was worse than the 1st. he was so bad that Tampa Bay not only fired him but also the GM who hired him.

also, how many conference championships did he win at Rutgers in 11 years? I'll give you a hint. It rhymes with hero.

Last edited:
Latest word is Chip Kelly might be slipping away from UF.

I hope Chip Kelly does slip away from FL. He would be a big splash for TN. Jimbo Fisher would be too. Gruden isn't coming and we need to move on to a bigger and greater coach. Can I get a Diddy, Diddy!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
I hope Chip Kelly does slip away from FL. He would be a big splash for TN. Jimbo Fisher would be too. Gruden isn't coming and we need to move on to a bigger and greater coach. Can I get a Diddy, Diddy!

Jimbo isn't coming either and its DILLY DILLY :eek:lol:

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back