Jeff Brohm and Mike Norvell: what have they done?

VOL 4 Life 83

These two names come up quite a bit. Can someone with better knowledge of each of their respective programs shed more insight as to why they keep showing up as hot coaches? Haven’t heard about them before this season. Thanks. I’ll hang up and listen

These two names come up quite a bit. Can someone with better knowledge of each of their respective programs shed more insight as to why they keep showing up as hot coaches? Haven’t heard about them before this season. Thanks. I’ll hang up and listen

Not enough that I can see... Butch 2.0 (right after P.J. Fleck).

Norvell is still riding Fuentes success (much like Butch did Kelly) and Brohm hasn't turned them around yet.

Reactions: 1 person
Not enough that I can see... Butch 2.0 (right after P.J. Fleck).

Norvell is still riding Fuentes success (much like Butch did Kelly) and Brohm hasn't turned them around yet.

So why are their names mentioned in almost every coaching search article regarding us?

Short answer: both are respected offensive minds and whenever offensive-minded coaches have success, their names will get mentioned with bigger jobs.

I can go into greater detail but Wikipedia can handle most of that for you.

Brohm figured out how to beat Mizzou - - - something we aren't very good at doing since they joined the SEC. That is about all that sticks out to me about him.

Brohm figured out how to beat Mizzou - - - something we aren't very good at doing since they joined the SEC. That is about all that sticks out to me about him.

Yeah back when missou was losing every game.... How has Purdue done since then?

Jeff Brohm
W/L: 34/16
*Potential is there, but the body of work needs time
*Petrino Guy

Mike Norvell
W/L: 16/6
*Potential and Young. The thing that scares everyone is that he followed Fuente after his success
*Referred to as Butch 2.0

Reactions: 2 people
fallbacks...if you can't get who you really want and for the right contractual terms then...fallbacks...somebody has to be the HC, right...actually, to me, you're splitting hairs, but IMHO Brohm has the better pedigree...check his stats...:)

GO VOLS!

They continue to come up because there is a real possibility Tennessee gets that far down the list.. until Tennessee ponies up the money and proves they are serious about bringing in a guy that warrants big money your going to continue to see "up and comers" mentioned in our searches

Short answer: both are respected offensive minds and whenever offensive-minded coaches have success, their names will get mentioned with bigger jobs.

I can go into greater detail but Wikipedia can handle most of that for you.

Uh oh. Now you've gone and done it....you just started the Official Wikipedia Thread Part 1.:) soon to replace the Official Gruden Thread Part 33.

giphy.gif

I live in a Memphis suburb so I’ve watched both Fuente and Norvell up close. Norvell is Butch 2.0 only superficially. It’s a lazy comparison. To say he’s merely riding Fuente’s success is only true if you don’t consider that he took what Justin did and has elevated it in every area. And people, he’s done it at Memphis. They have no facilities and no money. The truth is he’s a better recruiter and offensive innovator than Justin. While Fuente was still at Memphis, he and his staff flew out to Arizona and spent time studying Norvell’s offense. I really like Fuente (in fact I became friends with Vance Vice while that staff was at Memphis because our kids knew each other) but Norvell does many things better.

All that said, I’d feel better about him taking over at Tennessee after a few more years of seasoning, so don’t think I’m pushing for him. I simply think it will be sad if he’s hired and Vol fans go nuts over it. He doesn’t deserve that. Make no mistake, he’s orders of magnitude superior to Butch.

I live in a Memphis suburb so I’ve watched both Fuente and Norvell up close. Norvell is Butch 2.0 only superficially. It’s a lazy comparison. To say he’s merely riding Fuente’s success is only true if you don’t consider that he took what Justin did and has elevated it in every area. And people, he’s done it at Memphis. They have no facilities and no money. The truth is he’s a better recruiter and offensive innovator than Justin. While Fuente was still at Memphis, he and his staff flew out to Arizona and spent time studying Norvell’s offense. I really like Fuente (in fact I became friends with Vance Vice while that staff was at Memphis because our kids knew each other) but Norvell does many things better.

All that said, I’d feel better about him taking over at Tennessee after a few more years of seasoning, so don’t think I’m pushing for him. I simply think it will be sad if he’s hired and Vol fans go nuts over it. He doesn’t deserve that. Make no mistake, he’s orders of magnitude superior to Butch.

Very well said. He is far superior to Butch. He has turned Riley Ferguson into a superstar. He would do well at Tennessee. I don't think the fans would be happy about it at first but I think he would be successful. Hopefully we get one of the three or four big fish.

Norvell took over after losing a first round QB and has a former walk on damn near leading the country in TDs. You’re crazy if you think he’s anything but a great coach who has excelled in his first go around as a HC. There are no guarantees in this business, but he’s a solid bet to continue his upward progression through the ranks. Don’t be so dismissive.

Reactions: 3 people

VN Store

Back