If he doesn’t come

ManchesterV

Will the letdown be so huge, the 2nd choice or realistic 1st choice pass on it because he thinks the fans won’t accept him ?

Will the letdown be so huge, the 2nd choice or realistic 1st choice pass on it because he thinks the fans won’t accept him ?

Been saying this for awhile, now. For some fans, anyone else is already set up to fail. I've got to think it will cause other candidates to hesitate.

Disclaimer: Same thing at UF with Chip Kelly. The frustration with this program's fanbase is so palpable that anyone other than who THEY want and who does not deliver almost immediately, is going to have a tough time of it.

Reactions: 7 people
Only because people have worked themselves up so much, looking for any signal in every word uttered on tv or written on the internet in am attempt to validate what they want to believe.
I saw one poster refer to the jg threads as a roller coaster, when literally nothing has happened.

Reactions: 4 people
Been saying this for awhile, now. For some fans, anyone else is already set up to fail. I've got to think it will cause other candidates to hesitate.

Disclaimer: Same thing at UF with Chip Kelly. The frustration with this program's fanbase is so palpable that anyone other than who THEY want and who does not deliver almost immediately, is going to have a tough time of it.
Problem is Gruden is set up to fail too. Anything short of CFP committee cancelling the post season playoff and just giving UT the championship will be viewed as throwing shade at us. Why would any sane individual choose to be put in that situation ?

Reactions: 2 people
It is a concern but I don't know how legit it is of a concern to the coaching profession. I think most view UT fans as being unrealistic on the Gruden situation believing we have zero shot at landing him. I would say the average fan probably believes that we have little shot as well.

Probably not. Why? Because VN poll after poll with the wackabird loon Grudenites voting their multiple handles can pull no more than around 50% wanting Gruden, the other 50% goes to multiple others. It's the same stampede by the same Piped Pipers who promoted this the last time around, there sim;ply is no massive groundswell for Gruden to UT. A bunch of his fanboys, yes, most UT fans, no.

I will support any coach that comes here, besides Kiffin. F that guy! That support will obviously run out if we ever face another 4-8 season

Reactions: 3 people
A real coach will accept any challenging job if the $$$ is right. Just about anyone can coach in the bush leagues.

I thought it would have come up on a thread somewhere. There’s so much activity I can’t keep up. I do think it will hurt the search going forward. I guess that’s the chance you take going “all in”. In this moment, we had to swing for the fence if for nothing else, the sanity of the fan base. How much it hurts in luring the next guy remains to be seen

The bottom line to me is whoever is chosen they must WIN. Winning will fix all the issues as long as there is integrity in the program. No matter who are next coach is, that is how he will be judged whether he is liked or not in the beginning.

Coaches understand this so I do not believe the way we are "acting" has any bearing on whether or not they will come here. For me, I am going to support whoever the coach is until he proves to me otherwise. Integrity issues in the past would be the only issue why I would not support the hire and I believe the administration would not hire someone with previous integrity issues.

Yes. Currie and the school needs to immediately squash the Gruden rumors once they get a definite no.

If Gruden is playing us to hype his career and has no interest, he's classless, and is not the fan he pretends to be.

Reactions: 1 person

And what makes it more sad is that this "let down" that some will experience, comes from a made up, fantasy dream. I followed the coaching search 5 years ago and at no point did I see any tangible evidence that Gruden might come here and its the same with this time around. Lots of rumors and made up, click bate radio noise but never anything truly substantial. Could he be our next coach..sure, but I, personally, haven't seen anything that leads me to believe it is a real possibility.

I don’t care who we hire, I really don’t, because I’m gonna be excited and support whoever we bring in. And I’ll back him and pull for him until he shows me that he no longer deserves my full support. Did the same with Sgt Carter, I’ll do the same with whoever becomes UT’s 24th head football coach. Just the way it is.

Our coaching search is a similar situation to the Kentucky basketball coaching search several years back where everyone seemed to want Billy Donovan and were ready to jump off of bridges when he turned it down. Hey they got Coach Cal instead, and it looks like it turned out pretty good for them....

Yes. Currie and the school needs to immediately squash the Gruden rumors once they get a definite no.

If Gruden is playing us to hype his career and has no interest, he's classless, and is not the fan he pretends to be.

Gruden has genuine affection for UT. When he brings us up and promotes it I think that’s real. And I think most in the football world believe that too. So if it winds up helping his current employment situation good for him.

Having interest in the position /= being willing to leave. I’m always willing to have a discussion with somebody about possible employment. Why not? It never hurts to Network. But I’m paid pretty well where I’m at and have a great deal of empowerment in my current role. It would take a LOT to make me leave. But never say never, no reason to.

And this is pretty much what I have heard in anything Gruden has said. Others, more hopeful on him coming, probably hear a different message?

Dude I'd pretend to be a fan of Osama Bin laden and Kim Jong if I could get 10 mil a year to be a broadcaster talking about football.

It really should not be a letdown to UT fans if Gruden does not come to be our head football coach. Why? Simply because who among us would realistically leave a $10M TV gig as a color analyst covering 18 NFN Monday Night Football games... to go back to a thankless job of talking to a bunch of unruly 17 & 18 year-old boys who want to go to BAMA, Ohio State, Clemson, USC, UCLA, etc, and try to lure them to UT... all for only $4,110,000 per year (I used that amount because that is what we paid Butch)? Hummmm... NOT me! I'd be like Pohnny Paycheck and sing my little song - "Take That Job And ..... ! (I'm trying to be civil here)" So, unless Currie and Company is willing to publicly offer Gruden in excess of $11Million annually and him turn it down, I do not believe UT fans should feel so "let down."

As for the other coaches... they do realize that other coaches are being considered, and most... those who haven't been living with their heads stuck in the sand over the past two decades... realize that Gruden is sort of a demigod to UT footballdom. Therefore, a guy wears a huge pride chip on his shoulder, I think he would take the Gruden thing with a grain of salt. He will probably take his current situation, UT's facilities, our current talent pool, our national recruiting base, the $$$ and contract terms Currie offerers, and $$$ provided for him to get the coordinators and assistants he feels he needs to build a quality program at UT... that is what I believe MOST potential candidates will base his decision on - and not his feelings or hurt pride. $$$, contract terms, and respect during the interview process cures a lot of previous wounds - real or imagined.

:popcorn:

Reactions: 2 people
I don't think so. Especially if we get Patterson or Frost. Would be hard to not get excited about those guys since they're winning big time in college football right now.

I won't be let down if JG does not coach at UT because an AD typcially does not land their first choice (especially at UT).

Probably not. Why? Because VN poll after poll with the wackabird loon Grudenites voting their multiple handles can pull no more than around 50% wanting Gruden, the other 50% goes to multiple others. It's the same stampede by the same Piped Pipers who promoted this the last time around, there sim;ply is no massive groundswell for Gruden to UT. A bunch of his fanboys, yes, most UT fans, no.

Wrong

VN Store

Back