Kelly/Gruden NFL launchpad

rpeagram

Just a thought; if either are hired at UF or UT, and they are successful like most believe, how many years before they leave to go to the NFL?

Is this not a “be careful what you wish for” moment?

Gruden doesn't need a launch pad.

Kelly just got out of the NFL because it didn't go great.

Sure maybe if he had 4 or 5 great years but wouldn't that benefit Tennessee.....greatly.

Reactions: 3 people
Just a thought; if either are hired at UF or UT, and they are successful like most believe, how many years before they leave to go to the NFL?

We don't have to worry about that because neither will come to UT. First, we are too cheap. No, high power coach is going to come for 5 mil per year. UT will hire a middle of the road coach and say he was the best they could do. Until 5 years or sooner and we will be having this conversation again.

We don't have to worry about that because neither will come to UT. First, we are too cheap. No, high power coach is going to come for 5 mil per year. UT will hire a middle of the road coach and say he was the best they could do. Until 5 years or sooner and we will be having this conversation again.

so Norvell is it huh?...well, let's get this party started then...:)

GO VOLS!

so Norvell is it huh?...well, let's get this party started then...:)

GO VOLS!

All joking aside....it's great to dream about a splash hire, but history shows us that it's very unlikely. I'd love any of the big names being discussed, but reality points to guys in the Norvell neighborhood. Frost, Campbell, Norvell, etc. Never know. We might finally get the right one. If not, we can look forward to another round of mass hysteria over Gruden in another five years.

In Gurden's case, I think the be careful part has less to do with him jumping to the NFL and more to do with his patience for NCAA rules.

And if Kelly get a college job, I hope he goes anywhere but Tennessee. If he comes here, I am running for president of the NegaVols.

Gruden is already a Super Bowl champion coach.

Kelly’s most notable accomplishment is the destruction of two different NFL teams. SF is still in the dumps, chip really did a good job there. Sadly the Seagulls have a great organization in place right now and I think still have the best record this season?

Last edited:
All joking aside....it's great to dream about a splash hire, but history shows us that it's very unlikely. I'd love any of the big names being discussed, but reality points to guys in the Norvell neighborhood. Frost, Campbell, Norvell, etc. Never know. We might finally get the right one. If not, we can look forward to another round of mass hysteria over Gruden in another five years.

Nobody EVER gets a splash hire every time. Johnny Majors was about as big of a splash hire as you could ask for. We've had 4 since. Kiffin was what most would call a pretty "sexy" hire at the time. That decision was an utter and complete disaster which led to the 2 bargain desperation hires to follow.

Thankfully Butch dug us out and gave us a platform to hire "The Guy". More than a few conjectured that around here at the time. For that I'll give him credit.

We are in a good position to hire "The Guy" now. Whether the stars align or not is another story. Such things are cut and dried in life.

Chip Kelly might want to go back to the NFL, he only got 1 season at the 49ers and he had 2 good seasons at the Eagles and made some terrible personnel decisions. If he is successful in college again he might want to go back. Gruden is not going back if he was going to the NFL he would've done it already.

Reactions: 1 person

I don’t think they will, but who cares if they do? If they stay 5 or 6 years, have the teams nationally relevant again, stack the teams with real talent, maybe win a championship or two, if they wanna move on, they will have left the programs way better than they found them.

Urban Meyer was only at UF 5 years (yes it was officially 6 but he had checked out completely for that 6th year). In those brief years he was in 3 SEC championship games, won two of those, and also won the national title both of those years. In one of the years he didn’t win the national title, his QB won the Heisman Trophy.

Everyone here would take that all day long.

Kelly’s most notable accomplishment is the destruction of two different NFL teams.

Kelly won the Division in his first year at Philly finishing 10-6 and making the playoffs. He followed that up with another 10-6 year. His offenses were outstanding there. His 3rd year at Philly he dropped to 6-9 and the one year at SF was terrible. So he finished his time at Philly five games over .500.

How is that “destroying the franchise?” And SF has been a mess since Harbaugh left, that is not on Kelly’s one year.

I don’t think they will, but who cares if they do? If they stay 5 or 6 years, have the teams nationally relevant again, stack the teams with real talent, maybe win a championship or two, if they wanna move on, they will have left the programs way better than they found them.

Urban Meyer was only at UF 5 years (yes it was officially 6 but he had checked out completely for that 6th year). In those brief years he was in 3 SEC championship games, won two of those, and also won the national title both of those years. In one of the years he didn’t win the national title, his QB won the Heisman Trophy.

Everyone here would take that all day long.

Right! Who doesn't like winning!

Kelly won the Division in his first year at Philly finishing 10-6 and making the playoffs. He followed that up with another 10-6 year. His offenses were outstanding there. His 3rd year at Philly he dropped to 6-9 and the one year at SF was terrible. So he finished his time at Philly five games over .500.

How is that “destroying the franchise?” And SF has been a mess since Harbaugh left, that is not on Kelly’s one year.

I agree with you 100%. Put Chip back at Philly!!

I remember reading several places that by year 3 he was an open book to most NFL DC’s his genius had passed. And his offense showed it. I would submit he took a decent franchise and left it much worse off than when he found it. SF was a dumpster fire when he got there and is still a dumpster fire today. So no change in state but a horrible state. If you guys want him more power to you. I’ll pass

This thread is definitely a legion of the miserable type post. Even in our wildest dreams people are finding ways to be sad.

Gruden is already a Super Bowl champion coach.

Kelly’s most notable accomplishment is the destruction of two different NFL teams. SF is still in the dumps, chip really did a good job there. Sadly the Seagulls have a great organization in place right now and I think still have the best record this season?

He didn't destroy the Eagles at all. If he destroyed that franchise than they would still be in the dumpster of their division and the NFC. Instead they have the best record in the league. He actually did well in Philly other then the 3rd year. It didn't work here in Philly because the media hated him and he felt the same way and wouldn't cooperate with them at all and he drove off fan favorites and locker room favorites like Shady and D Jax, among other moves that weren't liked. Signing Riley Cooper to a 5yr, 25 million deal after his incident at the Chesney concert didn't do any favors for him either.

Chip Kelly & Gruden would be great options.

Both would win big here. I guarantee it.

Gruden had been to the pinnacle in the NFL. Imo, if he takes another HC job anywhere, college or NFL, I think he'll retire from there (assuming he isn't fired obviously). There isn't much motivation to move around any more.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back