Here is my problem with Gruden

fade route

Just being honest
He’s just not that good of a coach.

- His career winning percentage is .540
- Only made the playoffs 5 out of 11 years
- After winning his SB, he went on to have losing seasons in 3 of the next 4 years
- He won his SB with Dungys players and really only won because the opposing QB threw 2pic 6s

Don’t understand the fascination to be honest. He has also said if he had to coach on the college level he would have the school in NCAA trouble within 10 min because he would not be able to abide by the rules.

This is the guy you’re hanging your hopes on? Really?

Reactions: 53 people
My biggest problem is he isn't on the Hill yet.

JG, come on down to the new Tennessee price is right!!!!

Reactions: 22 people

- After winning his SB, he went on to have losing seasons in 3 of the next 4 years
- He won his SB with Dungys players and really only won because the opposing QB threw 2pic 6s

Don’t understand the fascination to be honest. He has also said if he had to coach on the college level he would have the school in NCAA trouble within 10 min because he would not be able to abide by the rules.

He won 2 AFC titles with the raiders before going to Tampa where he won a super bowl with HIS team. The nfl isn’t college where a head coach picks and chooses his guys.

Reactions: 17 people

.5 won pecent is on par with many coaches currently in the league, of every coach made a playoff tune every 2 years there would be less turnover, it’s called a Super Bowl hangover, look at any team not New England, I guess you have a point with the Dungy thing, and he was making an exaggerated point. Like when people say “I’m so bad at cooking that i burn ice”.

Reactions: 1 person
I love these threads, because they make it really obvious that the OP can be ignored on all football topics forever. Don’t even need to find the ignorance, it jumps out at you from post one.

Reactions: 37 people
I don't get it either. People on here are crazy. I hope other teams fans aren't this bad. And when they hire someone else what are they going to say???

Reactions: 5 people
He actually is no longer a football coach and hasn't been for almost ten years! He now is a media pundit or darling. It's purposeful he is doing nothing to discourage talk about himself in the media as ANY pr is good pr. He knows that. The Barney's liftin' and totin' this morning down at the feed store can't grasp it, they think he's actually arriving because he allows the media frenzy to continue. A lot of thinking is not required when hauling corn and sorghum in 100 lb bags to customers vehicles.

Reactions: 8 people
My biggest problem is the consideration that he may not have success. If he truly is being offered upwards of $10 million a season, and he ends up tanking, how in the hell are we supposed to afford to buy out? Are you just going to ride that pony until he bankrupts us? It surely would be exciting if he acccepts the offer, but the big, pretty, flashy name is not always the best answer. Like it or not, all sides of this have to be considered.

Last edited:
Reactions: 15 people
Biggest problem is he hasn’t coached on a college campus since 1989.

Don’t think he is close to the best option

Reactions: 16 people
“Unless an NFL coach is at .700 or better, he’s not qualified for a job at this lower level of football” lol

Reactions: 15 people

Here is my problem with what you said:
Dungy’s players— NFL GM ‘s players , l
NFL coaching records - more about player personnel most of the time than coaches ability

Reactions: 3 people
“Dan Mullen is only at .602 and has a bunch of losing seasons. That’s why if I need a HS coach, I’d turn him down.” Lol

Reactions: 7 people
"Most of the time, college football is simply about who has the most talent. Jon Gruden will give Tennessee a significant recruiting advantage irregardless of any possible coaching deficiencies."

Teddy Roosevelt, 1913

Reactions: 8 people
Gruden isn't coming.

It's like when you wanted a motorcycle as a kid and you kept a false hope that Santa would bring it to you.

Santa isn't bringing you that damn motorcycle and Gruden isn't coming to UT

So we should hire a coach that's won at least 2 Super Bowls and made the made the playoffs much more Han he measly 50% of the times he made it. I agree. We can do better. So who do you have in mind op?

VN Store

Back