What if UT is turned down again?

madbamahater

Let's say it's 2012 all over again and UT is turned down by, oh let's say, about 10 coaches or so....

What does Currie do? Does he bring back Fulmer similar to how Snyder was brought back to KSU? Or, does he promote Brady Hoke to HC?

What are your thoughts?

Sadly and in a very scary way this could happen. Could.....

I truly believe Currie has a very good backup plan. Could be Patterson. If Gruden says no even if Currie threw the bank at him, then I can live with that. At least Currie can say he tried his best.

Either way, I believe we end up with a good coach. I was skeptical about Currie, but the way he is handling this has renewed my faith in him.

Reactions: 8 people
Patterson is my number 1a with Mullen 1b......not sure about gruden to be honest and don't see the fan fare there

Reactions: 9 people

What if? Let's play this game.......

This could happen. UT has no more than a month to do something.

I still believe Butch should've been fired after UGA game to get way out ahead in this process and the program wouldn't look as far down in the dumps as Butch drove it over the last month.

The decision to stick with Butch could have actually pushed some options away.

Reactions: 1 person
What if? Let's play this game.......

This could happen. UT has no more than a month to do something.

I still believe Butch should've been fired after UGA game to get way out ahead in this process and the program wouldn't look as far down in the dumps as Butch drove it over the last month.

The decision to stick with Butch could have actually pushed some options away.

Very possible I would have after uga game as well that just me

I truly believe Currie has a very good backup plan. Could be Patterson. If Gruden says no even if Currie threw the bank at him, then I can live with that. At least Currie can say he tried his best.

Either way, I believe we end up with a good coach. I was skeptical about Currie, but the way he is handling this has renewed my faith in him.
Yep, I'm Sure Patterson is sitting there thinking, "I'm UTs back up plan."
He's spent the last decade getting a nobody team to the position you would expect UT to be in.

Yep, I'm Sure Patterson is sitting there thinking, "I'm UTs back up plan."
He's spent the last decade getting a nobody team to the position you would expect UT to be in.

Hence why I said could be. There have been reports Currie has reached out to Patterson. Whether or not thats true is anyones guess. But you never know.

What if Santa Claus really did exist and he got his fat arse caught in my chimney. Would he give us who we wanted as a coach for his freedom before we lit the fireplace?

Let's say it's 2012 all over again and UT is turned down by, oh let's say, about 10 coaches or so....

What does Currie do? Does he bring back Fulmer similar to how Snyder was brought back to KSU? Or, does he promote Brady Hoke to HC?

What are your thoughts?

Looking at past history, I believe that we will have another hire from our 10th person on our wish list.

(1) Dooley was our 10th pick. After Cowher, Lovie, Butch Davis, Patterson, Peterson, Muschamp, Gruden and others turned us down.

(2) bUTch was our 10th choice. After the above listed again turned us down.

(3) When Pearl was essentially fired and the program was in good shape, we had to hire our 10th choice again. I remember hearing Counzo Martin's name when it was announced late one night and I had to google him.

Based on past history, we will get another hire that is disappointing. Maybe Mike BoBo or the current coach or James Madison University or the University of Eastern Maine Bulldogs.

Trust me. We will all be disappointed with this hire!!!!!!!

Reactions: 4 people

What are your thoughts?

Not happening!

What are your thoughts?

For the 800th time, CBJ was not the 10th option. He was in their top 4 whether some of you like it or not. Did he deserve to be in the top 4, probably not.

Looking at past history, I believe that we will have another hire from our 10th person on our wish list.

(1) Dooley was our 10th pick. After Cowher, Lovie, Butch Davis, Patterson, Peterson, Muschamp, Gruden and others turned us down.

(2) bUTch was our 10th choice. After the above listed again turned us down.

(3) When Pearl was essentially fired and the program was in good shape, we had to hire our 10th choice again. I remember hearing Counzo Martin's name when it was announced late one night and I had to google him.

Based on past history, we will get another hire that is disappointing. Maybe Mike BoBo or the current coach or James Madison University or the University of Eastern Maine Bulldogs.

Trust me. We will all be disappointed with this hire!!!!!!!

That is just idiotic, UT never reached out to Bill Cowher, Butch Davis, or Lovie Smith. Did they make attempts at Patterson, Muschamp, and Strong? Yes, and there were some back channel attempts at Gruden but don't confuse CBJ as some 11th hour pick from Big Lots. Most programs fall back to their 2nd, 3rd, or 4th choice. The timing of the Dooley hire made it nearly impossible to hire a decent coach.

Reactions: 3 people
No matter how many coaches turn us down, if Currie brings back Fulmer, he has hired his last coach as AD at Tennessee.

Reactions: 2 people
This is just simply not true at all

It simply is whether you believe it or not. Anyone associated with the AD at the time will tell you Hart had CBJ pegged in the top 3-4 from the very beginning. UT never reached out to half the coaches you listed. Maybe you are confusing Fedora with Davis? Butch Davis was never contacted and Bill Cowher is nothing more than a fantasy as well as Lovie Smith. He is currently the coach at Illinois.

What are your thoughts?

He is going to do exactly what he will have no choice but to do, dip back into a mid major conference for a coach willing to sacrifice their career for short term wealth. We will repeat this process every 4-5 years.

What are your thoughts?

Nah, he will land someone in that coaching pool. Fallback will be Norvell, who may workout.

Gotta think our top 3 are:
Mullen, Patterson, and Frost.

Gruden ain't coming and never was.

Last edited:
He is going to do exactly what he will have no choice but to do, dip back into a mid major conference for a coach willing to sacrifice their career for short term wealth. We will repeat this process every 4-5 years.

I really hate to agree with the above . However, this is exactly what I feel will happen. Outstanding coaches are scared of Tennessee for several reasons: 1. Too much pressure to win ..2. Requires recruiting nationwide 3. Unrealistic goals by fan base ...4. Not enough in state talent. Also, fans expect immediate results in a program that has been irrelevant for years. ...5. Many many other reasons too numerous to mention. Must compete with Alabama every year is definitely a disadvantage whether we like to admit it or not. Florida too.

If you're going to take that tack, might as well go full Sith Lord
Emperor_RotJ.png

Gruden will not coach the Vols. Other candidates will decline offers. Tennessee football will die, as will your fandom.

Hence why I said could be. There have been reports Currie has reached out to Patterson. Whether or not thats true is anyones guess. But you never know.

From what I have read, Patterson is willing to listen. Would he leave TCU, or would he use us as leverage to get him a better deal there? That is the big question.

I am rolling the dice and saying he isn't Mike Gundy. If he is like Gundy, we still took an offer to one of the top coaches out there. If he says no, I can deal with that, but him telling us no beats the Hell out of not asking and getting a rule breaker who thinks he is Don Juan, a half ass who thinks he is Robin Williams, or a cliche machine who thinks he is Wyatt Earp but maybe acts like Ike Clanton when nobody is looking.

Nah, he will land someone in that coaching pool. Fallback will be Norvell, who may workout.

Gotta think our top 3 are:
Mullen, Patterson, and Frost.

Gruden ain't coming and never was.

I agree! So, what order would you go after these three? Patterson, Frost, or Mullen?

VN Store

Back