Is Tennessee missing the boat on Greg Schiano? Saban similar?

vols1707

I know, I know. But listen.

They have some very interesting similarities.

Schiano. Saban

Recruiting. ✅ ✅

Winning at down programs. ✅ ✅

Defense minded ✅ ✅

Failed at nfl
After resurrection of ✅ ✅
College programs

Tough hard nose teams. ✅ ✅

Got the most out of their ✅ ✅
Players

Take away Saban's 101 wins at Alabama. And this you have to do here.

Saban NCAA record at Michigan state & LSU
(Much better programs to win at than Rutgers)
114-61-1
Saban NFL career 15-17

Saban bowl record all time 11-9

Vs

Schanio at RUTGERS way harder to win vs Saben at Michigan St & LSU
73-68
NFL career 11-21

Schanio bowl record AT RUTGERS vs Saben having Michigan st, LSU, & ALABAMA! Way better teams to win at.
5-1

Look there are some AMAZING similarities between these two coaches.

Schanio has done more with less resources than
Saben has done with his.

Not calling him the next Saban

But the similarities are VERY hard to ignore.

I know BLA, BLA ,BLA

Just look at the #'s and the similarities is all I'm saying.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
*saban

and I don't really think so. his record is only a few games under .500, which I don't find very impressive (even considering being at Rutgers)

Schiano's boss for about 6 years was Jerry Sandusky. No thanks.

He also road Ray Rice's coat tails at Rutgers. No thanks.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 people
If he knew that's really bad. I had not heard this.

But confused on this? Schanio quote in the article said he never saw or knew of anything?

Innocent until proven guilty?
Or
Guilty until proven innocent?

Looks like to me.....

Not too get too far away from Schiano's credentials as whether he should coach UT or not, but that testimony about who knew what from McQueary has always been highly questionable. Other than that testimony, there has been no other evidence suggesting Bradley or Schiano knew anything. It's obvious Paterno, Curley, and Schulz was aware multiple times of the allegations after 1998.

No thanks. No more stinking Yankees. Guy has no experience in SEC. Also, it took him 6 years to have a decent result at Rutgers in the biggest joke of a football conference that ever existed. Next.

I think a big part of looking at a coaches' success is looking at before they took over and after they took over. So Schiano took Rutgers to heights never before seen. An eleven win season, five bowl wins, six winning seasons out of seven. The guy was also highly thought of enough to become an NFL head coach (which obviously did not work out).

Rutgers before Schiano (five years): 11-44

Schiano last five years: 39-26

Rutgers since 2012: 31-34

Part of this is Rutgers moving to the Big Ten but the point remains. Schiano improved the program and it became worse when he left.

You get a highly respected defensive mind, a relentless recruiter, and enough of an ******* to think he can take on Saban. He also is an excellent coach at player development. He put a lot of guys in the NFL who were not highly ranked. Despite the lack of NFL success, I think being an NFL head coach and his track record of putting guys in the NFL would be really beneficial.

I worry about if he can handle the Tennessee job. He's notoriously not great with the media and struggled with that aspect in the NFL. I am not sure what offense he would run. He used more of a pro style at Rutgers but the last two years working with Ohio State might have led him to the spread. His offenses were terrible in the NFL.

I was super high on him back in September, but not as high now. I still think this would be a good hire and I would have love having a defense first guy leading the program.

Reactions: 1 person
No thanks. No more stinking Yankees. Guy has no experience in SEC. Also, it took him 6 years to have a decent result at Rutgers in the biggest joke of a football conference that ever existed. Next.

This is a very impressive terrible take.

Reactions: 1 person
No, we aren't missing the boat. Gruden will probably hire him as our db coach.

(Blue font)

U mean the guy who according to him has a " better DL than any he had in the NFL" at ohio st that just gave up 55 to Iowa ??? You know the same offense that could only gain 66 total Yards the very next week ??

Uh no

I think a big part of looking at a coaches' success is looking at before they took over and after they took over. So Schiano took Rutgers to heights never before seen. An eleven win season, five bowl wins, six winning seasons out of seven. The guy was also highly thought of enough to become an NFL head coach (which obviously did not work out).

Part of this is Rutgers moving to the Big Ten but the point remains. Schiano improved the program and it became worse when he left.

You get a highly respected defensive mind, a relentless recruiter, and enough of an ******* to think he can take on Saban. He also is an excellent coach at player development. He put a lot of guys in the NFL who were not highly ranked. Despite the lack of NFL success, I think being an NFL head coach and his track record of putting guys in the NFL would be really beneficial.

I worry about if he can handle the Tennessee job. He's notoriously not great with the media and struggled with that aspect in the NFL. I am not sure what offense he would run. He used more of a pro style at Rutgers but the last two years working with Ohio State might have led him to the spread. His offenses were terrible in the NFL.

I was super high on him back in September, but not as high now. I still think this would be a good hire and I would have love having a defense first guy leading the program.

I would rather have a good high school coach. Dooley coming back would be better. Even Gruden would be better. I am not a Mullen fan, but he would be much better. However, I could save a bunch of money because I would not buy season tickets if Schaino ended up as our coach.Some coaches have it, but he doesn't.

U do know Rutgers was in a sucky FB conference before recently joining Big 10

VN Store

Back