The Official Dan Mullen Thread

Lets get this bad boy to 30+. Dan is a good coach. Its the best we can hope for imo if Kelly is locked up by the gators.

Reactions: 8 people
giphy.gif

Reactions: 24 people
Mullen may be OK, but there are other potential hires (excluding Gruden, regardless of how much the teenage boys on Volnation are Fantasizing about him).

UT will get a good coach.

Reactions: 1 person
Mullen may be OK, but there are other potential hires (excluding Gruden, regardless of how much the teenage boys on Volnation are Fantasizing about him).

UT will get a good coach.

Who's a better hire in your opinion? I think Dan is the best realistically out there. Don't think Patterson would leave TCU

Reactions: 2 people
Mullen is a good coach.... but TBH I would rather have Scott Frost. Frost has coached and played both sides of the ball, has learned and played under great coaches, has glowing reviews as a coach, and currently has a team that went 0-12 in 2015 undefeated. I see Frost winning a NC at the right school.

Reactions: 14 people
I would be completely satisfied with Mullen. He is a great coach that can become elite at a big time program.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 people
I'm in on Mullen, hes been top 3 for me even including Gruden the whole time. Young, talented, knows the SEC, can beat west teams with awful talent and took bama to the line. Lessgo!

Reactions: 5 people
Just as a reminder, when Nick Saban was Dan Mullen's current age, he was at 12-11-1 at Michigan State. Saban didn't win his first national title till age 52, after taking the job at LSU, where he had more resources and a much better recruiting footprint than at Michigan State.

This idea that Dan Mullen would be a mediocre hire is rubbish. He's by far the most successful coach in modern Mississippi State history. So many people here at VN are dramatically underestimating how much of a disadvantage Dan Mullen is competing with at Miss State versus teams like Alabama, LSU, Texas A&M, and Auburn. He's 23 - 23 over the past 6 seasons in the SEC West competing against teams with vastly better resources. That's a better conference record than James Franklin had against much tougher competition in the SEC West.

He turned Alex Smith into a top NFL prospect, Tim Tebow into a national championship QB at Florida, made Dak Prescott elite, and this season he's 7-3 with a 2-star QB in Nick Fitzgerald. The dude knows how to coach up QBs! Imagine what he could do with former 5-star and #1 ranked Dual Threat QB Jarrett Guarantano!

With Tennessee's resources, Mullen could achieve more than he has at Miss State.

Last edited:
Reactions: 15 people
Just as a reminder, when Nick Saban was Dan Mullen's current age, he was at 12-11-1 at Michigan State. Saban didn't win his first national title till age 52, after taking the job at LSU, where he had more resources and a much better recruiting footprint than at Michigan State.

This idea that Dan Mullen would be a mediocre hire is rubbish. He's by far the most successful coach in modern Mississippi State history. So many people here at VN are dramatically underestimating how much of a disadvantage Dan Mullen is competing with at Miss State versus teams like Alabama, LSU, Texas A&M, and Auburn. He's 32-28 in the SEC West competing against teams with vastly better resources. Imagine how he'd do with the resources of a place like Tennessee.

Spot on. At UT he'd at least win the East every 3 years or so and be 9-3-10-2 constantly with maybe a 11-1 season thrown in there.

Reactions: 2 people
I agree that Mullen is one of the best realistic options out there. Those unimpressed with his record at MSU need to keep in mind that Mississippi State historically has the lowest winning percentage and fewest wins in the SEC. Even Vandy and Kentucky have better all-time records!

I think MSU's recruiting classes average in the mid to high 20s. Mullen has done an exceptional job given the talent he has to work with and the tough schedule they face yearly.

The question is whether he's satisfied making good money at a program with relatively low expectations, but virtually no chance of winning titles or if he would want the challenge of trying to win championships at a place where he could have the players and resources to do so.

VN Store

Back