Hiring a proven Power Five coach is nearly impossible

zjcvols

"On a Tennessee saturday night."
Staff member
As the coaching search warms up and the Grumors are going crazy, the thing I see Tennessee fans complain about the most when it comes to hiring is that Tennessee is "cheap". They hire up and comers, never proven coaches because of money, and other schools do, so why can't Tennessee?

Well, because nobody hires proven winners anymore.

Since 2007, I have counted three absolute home run, proven hires. Nick Saban at Bama (2007), Urban Meyer at Ohio State (2012), and Jim Harbaugh at Michigan in 2015. All had weird/different circumstances that led to that. Saban left the NFL during the season, Meyer quit Florida and was out of coaching for a year, and Harbaugh lost a power struggle in the NFL, eschewing other jobs for his alma mater.

Because of how huge college football is, money is no longer an option. Both Gary Patterson and Chris Petersen coach at non-traditional big-time programs in the power five. Both make $4M+. In today's climate, everybody is on TV and with the playoff, anyone power five school can have a chance at the national championship. We saw that with Washington last year.

Take a look at some SEC schools. Florida's last four coaching hires before this year? A career NFL assistant, an MWC coach, a career college coordinator, and another MWC coach. Last two Georgia hires? Both college coordinators. LSU? Just hired a guy who was previously 10-25 as an SEC coach before. Auburn hired a 5-19 coach from Iowa State and a guy from Arkansas State that had one-year head coaching experience.

Tradition and prestige don't matter anymore. What matters is having an AD you like and money. If you are at a power five school that provides both, why leave? Sure you could a Bret Bielema who can't get along with an AD, or a guy goes to his alma mater. Or someone tries his hands at the NFL from college and fails, deciding to come back to college ball. But this isn't the 1970's or 1980's anymore where you drop whatever you are doing if you get a call from a traditional power.

Tennessee has the facilities and the money. They now have a good support system. They can definitely find a great coach, but it will most likely come from the group of five range or coordinator ranks because that's how it works. It won't be because of money or Currie didn't try hard enough or Tennessee isn't a worthwhile job or booster interference.

Reactions: 29 people
I got called a Troll because I said it wont be a Top 5. There is none available, it will be a very very good mid major and there is NOTHING wrong if its the right one. Right? Saban was a Mid Major at one time. Its going to be ok have faith in the AD dept! ( thats not a source, just common sense)
Go Vols

Reactions: 5 people
I got called a Troll because I said it wont be a Top 5. There is none available, it will be a very very good mid major and there is NOTHING wrong if its the right one. Right? Saban was a Mid Major at one time. Its going to be ok have faith in the AD dept! ( thats not a source, just common sense)
Go Vols

The problem is patience --

Reactions: 2 people

This Head Coach position looks like a job most would and have ran from. I think Currie knows his best job is going to be a sell job on the base. There is nothing he can do if he cant make money fix it. Lets hope he can. otherwise "up and comer" mid majors might say no.

I would definitely say Chris Petersen was an absolute home run hire, in addition to the ones you named. I think he's pretty much proven it already. I think this year is a very good year to be looking for a coach. There are many decent candidates. It's all about how good of a salesman Currie is now. Fingers crossed.

Go Vols

Um....I’m not sure you’ve been paying attention to our AD the last 10 years but they don’t have a very good track record of instilling faith.

Given we have a new AD and Chancellor so only time will tell this go round.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
As the coaching search warms up and the Grumors are going crazy, the thing I see Tennessee fans complain about the most when it comes to hiring is that Tennessee is "cheap". They hire up and comers, never proven coaches because of money, and other schools do, so why can't Tennessee?

Since 2007, I have counted three absolute home run, proven hires. Nick Saban at Bama (2007), Urban Meyer at Ohio State (2012), and Jim Harbaugh at Michigan in 2015. All had weird/different circumstances that led to that. Saban left the NFL during the season, Meyer quit Florida and was out of coaching for a year, and Harbaugh lost a power struggle in the NFL, eschewing other jobs for his alma mater.

Because of how huge college football is, money is no longer an option. Both Gary Patterson and Chris Petersen coach at non-traditional big-time programs in the power five. Both make $4M+. In today's climate, everybody is on TV and with the playoff, anyone power five school can have a chance at the national championship. We saw that with Washington last year.

Take a look at some SEC schools. Florida's last four coaching hires before this year? A career NFL assistant, an MWC coach, a career college coordinator, and another MWC coach. Last two Georgia hires? Both college coordinators. LSU? Just hired a guy who was previously 10-25 as an SEC coach before. Auburn hired a 5-19 coach from Iowa State and a guy from Arkansas State that had one-year head coaching experience.

Tradition and prestige don't matter anymore. What matters is having an AD you like and money. If you are at a power five school that provides both, why leave? Sure you could a Bret Bielema who can't get along with an AD, or a guy goes to his alma mater. Or someone tries his hands at the NFL from college and fails, deciding to come back to college ball. But this isn't the 1970's or 1980's anymore where you drop whatever you are doing if you get a call from a traditional power.

Tennessee has the facilities and the money. They now have a good support system. They can definitely find a great coach, but it will most likely come from the group of five range or coordinator ranks because that's how it works. It won't be because of money or Currie didn't try hard enough or Tennessee isn't a worthwhile job or booster interference.

IMO this is a very reasoned post which is why most VN posters won't like it! LOL, it seems these days we have extremists which dominate the discussions and most threads. I think the Mullens and Frosts of college football can be had. I do not think a guy like Gruden making millions in which only his personal performance keeps the money flowing tosses that to the wind and puts his fate in the hands of a bunch teenage kids along with their care and feeding 7X24X365. When he was younger, maybe for the thrill of it, not now as he's at the age where he begins to see the end of the highway out there where he's already paid his dues to be rather comfortable. So we probably end up with someone as you're suggesting unless Jimbo Fisher is still raw about getting dissed for this season and his wife boinking a former college player.

I agree with a lot of this..It is hard to hire a power 5 coach...We as fans want to think our open job is the best around but some of these coaches do not want to deal with the stress and pressure of coaching here...Not to mention stupid AD's who tell top coaches like Patterson he isn't ready for the big time stage has a lot to do with it too...Hopefully Currie isn't going to be that guy and get us a good one but I expect nothing special...I expect a good solid coach who will talk a good game at the presser and win over the fan base and hopefully we will catch lightning in a bottle and get a hidden jewel of a coach...Got my fingers crossed.:crossfingers:

I would definitely say Chris Petersen was an absolute home run hire, in addition to the ones you named. I think he's pretty much proven it already. I think this year is a very good year to be looking for a coach. There are many decent candidates. It's all about how good of a salesman Currie is now. Fingers crossed.

Yes, he was a great hire but he didn't come from a Power 5 conference. He came from a mid major, Boise St

The problem with the Gruden obsession is if it is anyone not named Gruden a percentage of the fan base is going to be upset. The only real issue that can come from that obsession is Currie could hire a good coach but it will be offset by the fact that he is not Jon Gruden. I do think Gruden could excel in recruiting which is the main part of college coaching and I also think he is a good x's and o's coach unlike CBJ but I don't think he is the only one who can do that at UT.

Reactions: 3 people
Um....I’m not sure you’ve been paying attention to our AD the last 10 years but they don’t have a very good track record of instilling faith.

Given we have a new AD and Chancellor so only time will tell this go round.

Ahem. Hamilton was like a hundred-year flood. That kind of damage is as rare as the turn of a century. Hart was who we could get in the aftermath. Currie may garner suspicions because of his association with Ham the Destroyer, but, watch and wait. His measure will be revealed in time.

Now, hope or despair? Glass half full or half empty? Good nature or cloud of doom? Which way do you want to live in the days, weeks, and years to come?

Even if cautiously, I encourage all to embrace hope until it is dashed. It's an easier way to live day to day. :hi:

The problem with the Gruden obsession is if it is anyone not named Gruden a percentage of the fan base is going to be upset. The only real issue that can come from that obsession is Currie could hire a good coach but it will be offset by the fact that he is not Jon Gruden. I do think Gruden could excel in recruiting which is the main part of college coaching and I also think he is a good x's and o's coach unlike CBJ but I don't think he is the only one who can do that at UT.

Completely agree. Think Dan Mullen would have a lot more traction if Gruden had said "no thanks" as soon as his name was brought up.

Completely agree. Think Dan Mullen would have a lot more traction if Gruden had said "no thanks" as soon as his name was brought up.

Well, it's not all Gruden's fault there. Currie could dispell the Gruden talk with one tweet. But, he hasn't so it's likely Gruden is a real option.

There is very little options as far as hiring a coach (that is doing well) from one of the power conferences. Neither Saban or Miles were slam dunks, but they were somewhat proven to a degree and LSU could double their salary. That option is pretty much gone in today's world - high buyouts, high salaries, etc. Basically, the options are limited in that regard - no step up for head coaches. So, the alternative is to hire someone that is unemployed, been fired, or quit coaching - or think outside of the box.

The firing is the easy part, the majority of these SEC teams looking for coaches are going to regret their decision.

Go Vols
Crap we cant get a break

Saban was a mid major. He went to LSU but did not become a rock star until Alacrapma

LSU hiring Saban (if he was at Michigan State) would be an impossibility in today's world. The coaching landscape has changed over the last 10 years - very high salaries and high buyouts, etc.

to some degree, but the real issue, big picture wise, is the turnover rate for head coaches today.

it's an all time high the last 5 years, and over that 5 years, the turnover rate nationally is about 50% higher than it was for the previous 15 years combined.

that's a gigantic number, and the primary reason there just aren't that many guys out there right now that have "proven track records", especially at the P5 Level.

and it's even harder to find those guys at the lower levels and 2nd tier p5 level because so many of those guys have been plucked over the last 5 years...

so you see guys like Norvell, Frost, Brohm, Morris and guys of that ilk that are on a lot of lists, but only have 1-3 years as a HC....and you just don't know.

and guys like Franklin and Fuente that got plucked and have turned in to what look like great hires....and guys like Butch Jones don't.

we're to a point where it's just really difficult to identify who those next guys are going to be, and who will be successful at the next level.

and you add impatience at the top tier schools, and it's a bad mix......

So.....just dumb luck that 3 of the winningest, tradition rich, money machine programs, happened upon the 2 best for sure, and another budding coaching stud?

Yeah. How fortunate.

Go Vols

You got called a troll because your very first post included an unnamed source in the AD department and it was followed up with negativity. Add that to every post you have being liked by one person, I assume your boyfriend, and we smell a troll job. A bunch of people have been here a long time and over the course of that time have developed a knack for sniffing out bullsheet. I smell something and it's not vanilla scented candles.

Reactions: 4 people
Hell, you got a proven power 5 interim head coach that coached at Michigan. He had them ranked no. 1 before his big downfall which was the Appy State game. I'm hoping he has the vols ready to play and show he can still coach a team up when they play LSU. The word is practice is tougher and more demanding under him already in Knoxville and his biggest problem, being that he comes from the defensive side of the ball, was offense and he coached on that side of ball this year. On top of everything else he just may be like Muschamp at South Carolina, which looks like he has landed in the right spot, if Hoke does get the job. Go Vols!! Beat those Tigers from LSU! :rock:

So.....just dumb luck that 3 of the winningest, tradition rich, money machine programs, happened upon the 2 best for sure, and another budding coaching stud?

Yeah. How fortunate.

Rich Rodriguez was in Tuscaloosa with a contract on the table.

Bama gave in to his crazy demands, but them hiring Saban was a **** ton of luck.

Yeah. How fortunate.

It was luck. All three scenarios required a significant amount of luck. All three schools found a proven winner who was looking for (or at least open to) a new job. That’s not a common occurrence.

Everyone tosses out dream hires...Franklin, Patterson, Peterson,etc, but while it's nice to fantasize, you point out that it's not reality. Only a special set of circumstances lead to a power 5 coach moving. Don't see any of the three I listed being realistic. And as much as I hate to admit, I don't think Fuente makes the move either. I've seen Marrone mentioned. Know he loves UT, but seeing an NFL guy make that move is hard to imagine. I've also got little hope that Mullen would jump to UT. He seems set where he is. So if we are talking a power 5 guy, Jimbo Fisher might be the exception. Things have been a bit tense in his current situation. Everyone says ten years is about the time to move on. Maybe the time is right with him? Does he still have the drive after going through his personal problems? Will family concerns allow him to make a move? Maybe but at the end of the day, I think we go Frost, Schiano, Brohm, or a coordinator.

VN Store

Back