Majors on Gruden

Serious question - no disrespect intended to CJM.....

but really, how much do you think he really remembers about CJG from one season almost 35 years ago?

Reactions: 3 people

but really, how much do you think he really remembers about CJG from one season almost 35 years ago?

I'd say pretty good actually. For an old guy he rattles off plays and players from specific games and years when interviewed on the sports animal. Sounds genuinely off the cuff stuff not scripted any time I've heard him.

Reactions: 9 people
I listened to that interview today while I was on the road.

Coach Majors had nothing but praise for Jon Gruden.

Coach Majors also divulged that Mrs. Gruden, when she was captain of the UT cheerleader squad, dated his own son, John.

That aside; I thoroughly enjoy the interviews with Coach Majors.
The man is a living Encyclopedia Britannica of football history.

Reactions: 6 people

I was in the U.T. band for 10 years and I was fortunate enough attend every bowl game during Coach Majors glory years. Some friends and I dressed to the hilt and managed to attend the Cotton Ball in Dallas (a big event with an open bar, dinner, music and dancing at the Hyatt a couple of nights before the Cotton Bowl). We got past the doorman by telling him we were in the band. He thought we were in the jazz band that was playing the event and let us right in. Anyway, we chatted up Coach Majors, told him who we were, and we wound up sitting at his table having drinks and dinner with him, Coach Hatfield from Arkansas and their wives. He was engaging, gracious and an awesome conversationalist. I'll never forget it. Anyway, to answer your question, I ran across him a few years ago. He didn't remember me right off the bat, but I told him about having dinner with him that night and he said something like "you were in that nice group of UT band members." If he remembered that night, I'd say his memory is still very good.

Reactions: 20 people
I was in the U.T. band for 10 years and I was fortunate enough attend every bowl game during Coach Majors glory years. Some friends and I dressed to the hilt and managed to attend the Cotton Ball in Dallas (a big event with an open bar, dinner, music and dancing at the Hyatt a couple of nights before the Cotton Bowl). We got past the doorman by telling him we were in the band. He thought we were in the jazz band that was playing the event and let us right in. Anyway, we chatted up Coach Majors, told him who we were, and we wound up sitting at his table having drinks and dinner with him, Coach Hatfield from Arkansas and their wives. He was engaging, gracious and an awesome conversationalist. I'll never forget it. Anyway, to answer your question, I ran across him a few years ago. He didn't remember me right off the bat, but I told him about having dinner with him that night and he said something like "you were in that nice group of UT band members." If he remembered that night, I'd say his memory is still very good.

Cool story! Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: 2 people
Cool story! Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for taking the time to read it! I miss those days - the atmosphere was always electric in and around the stadium. I think the our band could use an overhaul as well as the coaching staff. I'd like that atmosphere to return, and I think it eventually will.

Reactions: 4 people
How were you in the band for 10 years?
:p Lots and lots of schooling - bachelors, masters and doctorate. When I was in grad school, I couldn't attend most rehearsals except for Saturday morning so during those years I just performed pregame on the field since it didn't change from week to week. Occasionally I'd have to learn a halftime show Saturday morning to fill in for someone out sick. It didn't happen often though - when Dr. J was there people just didn't miss unless they were nearly dead. I was nowhere near the record holder though. One tuba player was nearly 30 when I started undergrad and he was still there when I finished grad school.

Reactions: 1 person
Thanks for taking the time to read it! I miss those days - the atmosphere was always electric in and around the stadium. I think the our band could use an overhaul as well as the coaching staff. I'd like that atmosphere to return, and I think it eventually will.

I agreed 100%!
Some of the BS music that is piped in now is nowhere near as good as the band use to be.

Reactions: 5 people

Here's the thing, Johnny remember everything from 35 years ago. EVERYTHING!!

Last week, not so much.

Reactions: 4 people

VN Store

Back