Colin Cowherd thinks Tennessee fans are crazy for wanting Jon Gruden

dduncan4163

Have at it Hoss
AUDIO: Colin Cowherd thinks Tennessee fans are crazy for wanting Jon Gruden - A to Z Sports Nashville

I know most here will disagree with Colin but I completely agree with him. Out of a list of Gruden, Kelly, Kiffin, Mullen, Petrino, and Miles, Mullen should be our first choice. I would be happy even thrilled if it's Gruden but Mullen has turned MSU into a really good program. He's a helluva coach that knows the SEC. The support and resources TN offers could tap his full potential.

He's made MSU competitive in the toughest division in CFB. The man could become elite at a big time program like TN.

Last edited:
Reactions: 34 people
Cowherd is another talking head that knows nothing.

Wanting Gruden over all other candidates would be a sign you are sane.

Also, Mullen would do nothing special here.

Reactions: 14 people
I'd rather have Schanio than Mullen

Recruited to Rutgers and can win games vs top 25 teams AT RUTGERS!!!!!!

Mullen can't beat top 25 teams recruiting in a hotbed like Mississippi area.

This is everyone's look at Mullen loosing with no talent.

Schanio WON with less talent than Mullen.
(I know he didn't play in SEC but wins vs top 25)

5th choice at best on Mullen for me

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
AUDIO: Colin Cowherd thinks Tennessee fans are crazy for wanting Jon Gruden - A to Z Sports Nashville

I know most here will disagree with Colin but I completely agree with him that out of a list of Gruden, Kelly, Kiffin, Mullen, Petrino, and Miles, Mullen should be our first choice. I would be happy even trilled if it's Gruden but Mullen has turned MSU into a really good program. He's a helluva coach that knows the SEC. The support and resources TN offers could tap his full potential.

He's made MSU competitive in the toughest division in CFB. The man could become elite at a big time program like TN.

I know I'm in the minority but I like CC. I kinda disagree here. I think Gruden would be a slam dunk... but if we end up with Mullen, that's pretty damn good too. 1A and 1B for me, but I hope Currie makes JG tell him no multiple times first.

Reactions: 5 people
Cowherd rightly ID'd Jones as a gym teacher two years ago. However he gets paid to have a take and get reactions. Gruden is High ceiling/low floor hire. Could blow up on our faces. Mullen's ceiling is maybe lower, but his floor is higher.

Reactions: 3 people

I know most here will disagree with Colin but I completely agree with him that out of a list of Gruden, Kelly, Kiffin, Mullen, Petrino, and Miles, Mullen should be our first choice. I would be happy even trilled if it's Gruden but Mullen has turned MSU into a really good program. He's a helluva coach that knows the SEC. The support and resources TN offers could tap his full potential.

Oh yeah. I'm ridin' that same wave with ya' DD. Any of the above-named potential HCs could well be a workable choice, and even double-so (uh, double-D) for Mullen. Moving from stark Starkville to Knox Vegas would mean millions to Dan...and not just in dollars. Gruden would be great in that he'd have no trouble assembling coaching and administrative staff members who'd fill in those missing gaps (ala Phil Fulmer's masterful use of assistants), so that lack of putting together a winning program is definitely do-able by John. I am, though, with that ilk that strongly doubts he's even interested. nonetheless............

Gruden may be the second coming and I guess there's a possibility he's the hire....until he says no or UT announces another coach, but if I had my pick from Patterson, Franklin, Peterson and Mullen or signing Gruden, I think I'd go with a proven winner at the collegiate level and go for one of those four names instead of chuckie. We have to get this one right. We need a damned fine coach and I'll go with the known commodity. Know that's not a popular sentiment right now, but....

Reactions: 6 people
Like any head coach, it's about the staff they put together. A great head coach has a great staff. And a great head coach can replace them when they move up to better positions.

Reactions: 2 people
I know I'm in the minority but I like CC. I kinda disagree here. I think Gruden would be a slam dunk... but if we end up with Mullen, that's pretty damn good too. 1A and 1B for me, but I hope Currie makes JG tell him no multiple times first.
I believe Gruden could win a lot of hardware here, but I'd be lying if I said I believe he's a sure thing. He hasn't coached in 10 years and he's never been a head coach in college. Gruden is a feast of famine imo.

Mullen on the other hand has turned the perennial doormat of the SEC West into a winning program and even got them to a number one ranking a few years back. I never thought I'd see MSU ranked number in football.

Mullen doesn't have the name recognition of a Gruden, Kelly, or Petrino but he is the closet to a sure thing out of that bunch imo.

Reactions: 5 people
Colon cowturd is about the same as listening to skip bayless neither should be on television to have to put your self through the anguish

Gruden is a huge risk huge reward candidate.

He hasn’t coached in 10 years
He’s hasn’t coached in college since like 1986
He has never had to recruit
His offense was considered too complicated for his players in the NFL
He was quoted in August that he would have a school in trouble with the NCAA in less than 6 months if he coached in college due to all the rules

But

He has a huge name impact
He won a Super Bowl
Would have to hire a really good staff

One thing I'll say about the being out of football thing. He hasn't coached but he's been neck deep in football since his last coaching job. And I think the FFCA works with coaches(of all levels from high school to NFL) and high school athletes.

Whatever changes the game has gone through he's witnessed and studied for MNF prep. He didn't just walk away from football. You can tell he loves the sport and is enthusiastic about it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
One thing we can all agree on is it's a great year to be looking for a new HC. There are a bunch of great viable options out there. I think we nail this hire.

Reactions: 4 people
Gruden is a huge risk huge reward candidate.

He hasn’t coached in 10 years
He’s hasn’t coached in college since like 1986
He has never had to recruit
His offense was considered too complicated for his players in the NFL
He was quoted in August that he would have a school in trouble with the NCAA in less than 6 months if he coached in college due to all the rules

But

He has a huge name impact
He won a Super Bowl
Would have to hire a really good staff

I agree. He would win the press conference, create a buzz, reel in a couple of big recruits... then go 6 - 6 next year. And everyone would scream about paying him $7M.

Reactions: 1 person
He knows more about football than all the other nominees combined and he will put himself with a staff that can do all the things listed. Plus people, kids will love him and will coach them up not like the last so called coach. The other issues people keep talking about will be easy for he will bring them to us not having to beat the bushes for the hidden so called gems per cbj

VN Store

Back