Is Florida Really a Better Job Than Tennessee?

Coug

I'm hearing media folks say that between Florida and Tennessee any coach would take Florida over Tennessee. One comment was that "it's easier to win a championship at Florida than it is at Tennessee. Really? Then why'd you hire Muschamp and McElwain if that were true? The recruiting area is about the only advantage Florida might have over Tennessee.

Reactions: 3 people
Absolutely it's a better job IMO.

That doesn't mean they can't screw up a hire. It's not nearly as much of a slam dunk as people think.

Reactions: 14 people
Yes, Florida is a better job. That doesn't mean we can't be a successful program though.

Reactions: 4 people
Florida is an objectively better job than TN. Its one of the best jobs in the country. TN is up there too but not on Floridas level

Reactions: 1 person
Yes, Florida is a better job than Tennessee.

Resources and recruiting base aside, the relative success of our last several coaches are further proof.

OP mentioned Muschamp and McElwain, coaches who were fired in spite of a combined 6-1 record against Tennessee.

Reactions: 9 people

Resources and recruiting base aside, the relative success of our last several coaches are further proof.

OP mentioned Muschamp and McElwain, coaches who were fired in spite of a combined 6-1 record against Tennessee.

Muschamp/McElwain still > Dooley/Butch

:confused:

Reactions: 3 people
I'm hearing media folks say that between Florida and Tennessee any coach would take Florida over Tennessee. One comment was that "it's easier to win a championship at Florida than it is at Tennessee. Really? Then why'd you hire Muschamp and McElwain if that were true? The recruiting area is about the only advantage Florida might have over Tennessee.

Recruiting and more recent success in FB give UF the upper hand. Their athletic department just canned a guy that won the SECE two times in a row while UTAD is debating on whether or not to keep a coach who cannot even reach ATL. It is easy to see ATP that UF is more concerned about getting FB corrected than UT. Now with that being said, Currie could make a solid hire ending this nightmare.

Last edited:

Yup Florida will get their coach of choice , while we will beg and scratch to get our 3rd choice....

Reactions: 2 people
On paper? Probably
In reality? Nope. Gainesville is a sewer. The fans are scattered with FSU, Miami, and the others (CFU, FAU, SFU, etc). There is a reason they never won before Spurrier and only Meyer has managed to come close to that level.

Reactions: 8 people
The thing about Florida is that even when they screw up a coaching hire, good coaches are able to go there and turn things around very quickly.

Yes, UF has better recruiting base and better administration.

It has worse fans though and Gainesville is a sh-thole.

Reactions: 5 people
Come to Tn, do well and become a state hero for life.

Go to the swamp and do well you're libel to end up getting 20 to life.

It's all about what the coach does with the opportunity.

Both are elite enough to win NCs.

That really doesn’t support your argument considering how bad we’ve been coached for the last seven years.

Recruiting is a plus

I would also add perhaps a better athletic department/executive administration. Look how they have handled this current coaching change. Not one time did their AD go on TV and talk about his dad's work as a doctor, and blah blah blah. They just did it.

UF has a much better AD and more recent success than we do. They have also produced a Heisman QB. UF has talent galore. They are a much better destination than we are.

That really doesn’t support your argument considering how bad we’ve been coached for the last seven years.

It does prove his point. In the past 30 years, a bad coach at UF (Zook, McElWain) wins 8 games minimum or the SEC East due to the recruiting advantages. A bad coach at UT considers 8-4 and 4-4 in the SEC some of the best years in the past 20 years.

Yes. Huge recruiting advantage in Florida and the most recent success out of the two programs.

It supports my argument in that even when we screw up a football coaching hire, more often than not our coach is still good enough to beat whoever is coaching on your sideline.

I agree with the poster who said even though UF is widely considered a better job than Tennessee, UF is perfectly capable of swinging and missing...see Zook, Muschamp and now McElwain.

NO, FL is not a better job, and these answers are incredible.

Reactions: 5 people
It does prove his point. In the past 30 years, a bad coach at UF (Zook, McElWain) wins 8 games minimum or the SEC East due to the recruiting advantages. A bad coach at UT considers 8-4 and 4-4 in the SEC some of the best years in the past 20 years.

I was talking about their record against UT with low rent coaches, I was under the impression he was using us as an example of quality competition .

VN Store

Back